Bird in my Bike (Read 15 times)
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Bird in my Bike
06/16/05 at 16:53:54

Not a real one, it's a chirping sound that I hear with acceleration. I have had this checked out in the past, they find nothing, and the bike otherwise is OK. It first appeared after rain. It had gotten more subtle, but today it poured just as I exited work. I waited it out, then rode home in light sprinkles, but darn that bird was chirping away with the roll of the throttle. When I let go, it stops.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Gerry

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Bird in my Bike
Reply #1 - 06/16/05 at 19:19:44

Possibly your drive belt.  Check it for alignment and tension.

Also, see this: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1100717793

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/16/05 at 19:26:00

Could be an arthritic sparrow trapped in your airbox.  When it gets damp his arthritis kicks in and he chirps.

Dampness/humidty would also affect the drive belt.

WWW   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/16/05 at 19:29:18

Maybe the arthritic sparrow is not centered in the airbox? LOL, that's a good one, Paladin!!

Red, truthfully the belt has been checked in the past, several times, and it's always OK... that's why I'm still puzzled by the audible bird.

Gerry

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/05 at 19:49:51

When you are riding the bike, from which side of the bike does it seem like the bird is chirping from?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 06/16/05 at 19:54:23

Does the bird sing in harmony with bike speed or motor speed?  Can you determine if it is coming from the front or rear of the bike?  WHO is checking the belt?  (I would tell you how to check the belt yourself but I haven't the foggiest idea.)
DUH!  Red provided the link to how to check the belt yourself.  Noticed as I was reading the thread to the wife.

WWW   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/16/05 at 20:12:12

I think it is more forward than rear of the bike.

Which side? Hard to say, really, I'll pay more attention to that.

I think the bird sings with the motor speed. When I rolled on throttle, I hear it. Off, quiet. Didn't matter if I was in 2nd or 3rd. It is less audible at higher speeds/gears because of other road, wind, engine noise.

I don't do wrenching, but it was interesting to see how to check it.

Gerry

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/16/05 at 20:24:31

Well, most likely it would be belt related - but with the number of miles - over 22k - it may very well be the front sprocket is starting to wearout - either on the inside spline teeth and wabbles around or the external drive teeth - either will let the belt rub which wakes up the bird.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/16/05 at 20:27:29

I had a "bird" in the rear of my bike, it chirped all the time, hubby put new bolts in license plate holder, bird expired. Here in Texas license plate holder also holds inspection sticker and it was vibrating all the time. Don't know if that will help but thought I'd pass it on.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/17/05 at 03:47:59

Thanks Radar, I'll check the obvious, it never hurts!

Reelthing, this started about 10k ago.... It's been in for service several times since then, belt and other parts inspected, etc.... but true, now it's that many more miles. At service in April, bird was silent, so not an issue, but that was 1500 miles ago, and I need my idle speed adjusted, it seems too low.

So, belt & related parts will be checked.

Gerry

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 06/17/05 at 08:52:07

Hi Gerry! How're things? Hope all is well with you and your new V-Star ... enjoying it?
Sounds like the exact thing I hear from time to time with my LS ... read a few posts last year on the Heise Savage Forum which adressed this ... could be the speedometer housing and/or speedo cable vibrating causing a high pitched "chirping" that sounds like it's from forward on the Bike ... and seems to increase in frequency when throttle is rolled on, but disappears at idle. Don't know how accurate this is ... as I said I hear the "chirping" from time to time ... hasn't been a problem (so far) and I don't let it bother me ...
Find out anything more, let us know.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/17/05 at 09:30:07

Perry, you describe it pretty well. Smiley This morning (after being parked in the garage, dry all night) it was barely audible, if at all.

So, I'm not sure how rain/water affects it, or if it causes it somehow.

I'll still keep my ears tuned in.

Gerry

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/17/05 at 10:10:11

My chirp just started to get louder...it's been there sporadically since I got the bike but not enough to even be annoying.  Recently it got loud enough to find it...yep, it's the speedo housing...when the chirping gets "loud" I can put my hand on the speedo and it stops.  There's a thread somewhere on here that discusses how to fix this problem.  It's still not bad enough that I'm going to worry with it until I have the tank off the bike...then I'll try to fix it.

Tom

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/17/05 at 11:30:31

possibly this thread?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

You know, sometimes, I will press the tank in the middle, and it seems to quiet the bird. I usually press or hold it down near the speedometer, so this is something I'll check out too.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all the info and great ideas! Cheesy

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/17/05 at 13:50:16

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Not a real one, it's a chirping sound that I hear with acceleration. I have had this checked out in the past, they find nothing, and the bike otherwise is OK. It first appeared after rain. It had gotten more subtle, but today it poured just as I exited work. I waited it out, then rode home in light sprinkles, but darn that bird was chirping away with the roll of the throttle. When I let go, it stops.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Gerry

I have more than an idea....I know what it is and it about had me in a panic when I first heard it too.

Just as Red2k1 stated, it IS the drive belt.  They chirp when they are wet AND the belt is too tight.

Take it from me...I have no belt guards so when it rains my belt gets wet.  So loosen up your belt to about the max. position on the gage (or use the 90 degree method) and see what happens in the next rain....it really is just a funny little quirk about a tight belt and rain.  

Sorry to say, but you really don't have birds in your air box Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:04:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bird in my Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.