Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing turn signals? (Read 13 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Removing turn signals?
06/02/05 at 09:38:23

Hey folks,

What is the proper way to remove the turn signals? I don't really want to use my angle grinder to take 'em off, but I might.

So the front ones go into the headlight, right? The rear ones...? Do I have to do any rewiring after that? They are wired in series, so...?

thanks!

ks

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Removing turn signals?
Reply #1 - 06/02/05 at 12:31:32

Holy molly, using a grinder to removed the turn signals  Shocked

I would look at those things at different angles and find the fasteners for each of them and loosen them up before I would use the grinder ???

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/02/05 at 12:54:56

kinda' a joke. I have used my angle grinder to remove unwanted parts from my Vsar, though (mostly unsightly brackets and reflectors).

It's the wiring I'm concerned about, though. I still want my headlight & taillight to work.

...Oh good, now it's rainging, Dagnabbit!

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 06/02/05 at 13:02:42

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
It's the wiring I'm concerned about, though. I still want my headlight & taillight to work.

Disconnect the wiring inside the headlamp. The rear blinkers have a disconnect under the seat, just follow the wires from under the rear fender rails.
The blinker unit you can see under the tank RH side near the front, pull the plug off and stow the connecter under the tank . The unit can be pulled of its rubber mount.
It is a separate system so don't worry about the remainder of the lights.

Greetz Grin
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 06/02/05 at 15:41:47

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hey folks,

What is the proper way to remove the turn signals? I don't really want to use my angle grinder to take 'em off, but I might.

a favored method appears to be just to slide it across a parking lot on each side. takes them things right off.  Roll Eyes

ah.... the angle grinder, my favorite tool, followed by the rubber mallet, and last but certainly not least the vererable sledge hammer.  the only tools you really need to make a chopper.

the biggest problem with removal of the fronts are to get a really clean look you must remove the brackets, two methods. take off triple tree (real pain in the butt) or to cut them off. if i had it to do again i would cut them off.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/02/05 at 15:50:59

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
a favored method appears to be just to slide it across a parking lot on each side. takes them things right off.  Roll Eyes

the biggest problem with removal of the fronts are to get a really clean look you must remove the brackets, two methods. take off triple tree (real pain in the butt) or to cut them off. if i had it to do again i would cut them off.

Well, I do have "SQUID" painted on my rear fender...

That bad to get the brackets off, huh? Hmmm, I may want to put them back on if I move to a state that requirtes blinkers...

thanks, folks!

ks

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/02/05 at 17:49:49

There's enough aftermarket turn signals to not worry about re-installing in case of a move to a less friendly State.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 06/03/05 at 05:40:57

I don't even know how to reply to this kind of question.  You have a V-Star, too, and you need someone to explain how to remove the turn signals?  

Sluggo's idea is the best, but why not just remove the bulbs and forget about it?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/03/05 at 08:16:05

yeah, I screwed up the turn signals on my VStar too, and killed the headlight for a while. Hey, ya' know, I'm learnin'. That's what this sight is for, right?

You should'a seen what I did to one carb on the Vstar! Runs liek a bera now, though! LOL!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/03/05 at 08:48:44

I'm not a fan of the factory "lobster eye" turn signal assemblies either. Replaced the rear with HD spec red lensed bullet lights. Plan to replace the fronts with handlebar end-plug signals. See the blue bike in the opening page gallery listing for how the bar lights look. You might consider running at least small LED bullets...small signals are safer than no signals. Turn signals are federally mandated on post-1972 street bikes in the USA.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 06/03/05 at 08:55:17

Well, the bike is already flat black... and I ain't one to pay attention to federal laws. State laws, sure.

Hot darn! Nice ride!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 06/03/05 at 09:54:32

The Feds can evoke the Interstate Commerce Clause and require that motorcycles sold have certain equipment, but once sold they only need to obey State requirements.  Over half the States do not require turn signals on motorcycles.

That said, I would keep and use the flashy-light signals as the only hand signal recognized by most people is the one-finger salute.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/03/05 at 10:20:32

Good point, paladin!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/03/05 at 10:21:35

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The Feds can evoke the Interstate Commerce Clause and require that motorcycles sold have certain equipment, but once sold they only need to obey State requirements.  Over half the States do not require turn signals on motorcycles.

That said, I would keep and use the flashy-light signals as the only hand signal recognized by most people is the one-finger salute.

At 42 I don't feel particularly old but I find it amazing how many licensed drivers don't have a clue what the most basic hand signals are... most guess the left turn but the right turn baffles 'em.  I dunno.  I think I learned 'em from my parents when I was about 6 years old and learning to ride a bicycle.  Is it just me?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 06/03/05 at 11:25:17

Does anyone NOT know what these these hand signals mean?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 19:10:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing turn signals?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.