Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harley Davidson Demo Rides (Read 8 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Harley Davidson Demo Rides
06/06/05 at 03:11:40

8)Hi all ... went to the local Harley Davidson Demo Rides over the weekend ... sadly they did not have the 883L available for a testride ... sat on a few others ... couldn't comfortably reach the forward controls of the 883 Custom, found the 1200 Roadster too top heavy to comfortably pull upright and the Dyna Lowrider waaay too heavy. Oh well ... c'est la vie ... I'm not even considering replacing my Savage anyways ... just wanted to see how the Sportster Low rode is all ...
A couple of my friends tried a few Bikes though ... pal Brian (who owns an '04 800 Intruder) didn't like the Sportster Custom (controls too far forward), but loved the 1200 Roadster. Friend Nadine (who owns a mint '82 CM450) hated the Roadster, but kinda liked the Dyna Lowrider ... though she complained that they both shook too much and said the Roadster seemed clunky ...
The H.D. people (who had travelled with a tractor-trailer full of Bikes from Toronto) were all friendly and very accomodating ... and all seemed to love being here in Newfoundland! Here's a few pics ...

pal Brian checking out the Street Rod

friend Nadine's CM450 & my LS parked at the Demo Rides

Demo Rides at City Cycle, Mount Pearl Nfld.

Fine custom Softtail at the Demo Rides

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Re: Harley Davidson Demo Rides
Reply #1 - 06/06/05 at 10:33:42

Perry,

When I bought my VS800, the lady had two bikes.  She said that she'd sell either one and keep which ever one didn't sell.  

She had the VS800 and a Sportster 883.  I had gone there with the intention of buying the VS, but I admit I was a little intrigued by the 883.  I rode the VS out first and when I came back, she said, "Let's ride together".  So I took the VS out again and she rode the Sportster.  Halfway through our ride, we switched and I got to test out the Sportster.

And?

I hated it.  The bike felt a little top heavy to me.  The clutch was way too sensitive and ended up killing the engine at every stop.  I didn't like the seat and the handlebars and controls were awkwardly placed for me.

I didn't like the way the bike handled and I wasn't particularly excited about how the ride felt.

In general, you couldn't have convinced me to buy that bike over the VS if you spent all day.  But I am glad I had the experience...now I can cross "Sportster 883" off my list of things I might want.

You and I are about the same height so I'm betting you wouldn't be much more comfortable on that bike than I was.

There....feel better now?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 06/06/05 at 10:49:58

I don't have any first-hand experience on the bike but they supposedly fixed the clunky clutch in the 2004 model.  Also the 883L has a lower seating position so the center of gravity might be a bit better but probably not a lot.  I'm not in any hurry to change bikes.  I like my thumper a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 06/06/05 at 14:07:10

8)Yeah, I love my Thumper too and am in no way anxious to move into somethin' else ... but I did get a chance to sit on an '05 883L last winter in the showroom ... and I liked how it fit ... the lowered centre of gravity made it pretty easy to pull upright ... so when I heard the H.D. Demo Rides were comin' to town, I was curious to try one out ... but alas the only 883 they had available for a a testride was the Custom ... which felt all wrong to me ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #4 - 06/06/05 at 14:52:10

I loan-swapped my crotchrocket for my neighbor's Sportster earlier this year, spent enough timeon it to get used to it, and I liked it alot - everything but the power.  Thought it should be faster.  But nice.  REALLY liked the forward controls and oooooh the sound was great.

I liked it better than my YZF600 or my Shadow600, but not as much as my Savage.

I want to try a 1200 Sporty next.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
yamawho
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/06/05 at 19:34:45

I tried a Kawa 800 classic last weekend, I didn't like the look but loved the ride ... very smooth.

I tried the 1600, too big, not for me.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/06/05 at 21:04:08

I dunno...  At a bike show in January, I was looking at the Honda Shadow and the Honda Rebel.  My Harley-owning hubby, of course, steered me towards the Harleys, specifically the 883.  He suspected it might be too heavy for me -- but he was still kind of hoping I would ride a Harley.  It felt too heavy, and he agreed it was a bad idea.  

Overall though, I wasn't too nuts about it anyway.  Didn't ride it, so mine isn't the most educated opinion.  But aside from it feeling really heavy, it just didn't do anything for me.  So I decided that when I was ready to buy, I'd get a Rebel, unless I saw another 250 I liked better.  Hubby, who admits to having his shallow moments, understood -- but was a little sorry his wife wouldn't be riding something "cool."   Roll Eyes

Later on, on the way out of the convention center, we pass by the Suzuki bikes.  I stopped to look at the GZ 250, didn't like it, and hubby and I figured we were done there -- we'd seen everything we came to see.  

So we're walking through the Suzuki area on the way to the exit.  We're almost out, and hubby stops me, saying, "Oh, wow.  Look at that one."  So I look, and it turned out he was pointing at a white Boulevard S40.

Not only did I fall in love with it immediately -- it made my Harley-loving husband forget the 883.   Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 06/06/05 at 21:10:56

nice report perry,

karen627, intresting story, only problem i have is the name s40 it lacks pizzazz. savage was such a better name. aside from that it's a great bike.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/06/05 at 22:48:38

I haven't had the "opportunity" to ride a late model Sportster. I had an 883 for about 10 minutes in college...1970ish model IronHead 883.  Lips Sealed I traded it straight across for a keg of Guiness and a 45 flathead. 45 was a rigid, and didn't shake as bad as that Sportster... If you own stock in Preparation H, Sportster MAY be tolerable. The new ones are supposedly better... ???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 06/07/05 at 03:20:16

I doubt if there are few Owners/Riders of Bikes such as Suzuki's LS650 and VS800 who aren't curious about Harley's 883 Sportster ... the Sporty after all is a timeless classic which is similar in form and function to Suzuki's 2 remaining "minimalist" Cruisers. As said, the 2004/04 mdels are apparently much improved over previous Sportsters ...
As far as "Savage" vs "S40" goes ... well lets just say that a "Savage" it ain't ... have always thought that "Prowler" might've been a better moniker for the LS ... at least it would've then fit with "Intruder" and "Marauder".

WWW   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/07/05 at 05:39:38

I think the name Savage comes from the stock seat.  After about an hour in the saddle, Savage is a good name.

I DO like Prowler, though.  That's cool!  I might have that airbrushed on the tank when I get around to that portion of my mods.  And you're right, that would fit with the rest of the line.

S40, C50, M50, wow...that's a name to spark excitement in the heart, eh?  Yeah, not.  Oooh Boulevard.  Nope...no spark there either.  What were they thinking?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #11 - 06/07/05 at 09:01:48

Corporate America strikes again. Central office people can suck all the appeal out of anything.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/07/05 at 10:55:06

Maybe it sounded cool in Japanese and lost something in the translation?  Nah, probably not.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #13 - 06/08/05 at 20:24:08

Hmmm.

I tried a V-Star 1100 Classic and liked it so much...  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged