Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire Pressure? (Read 25 times)
Joel
Ex Member

Tire Pressure?
05/31/05 at 22:50:00

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find much info by doing a search.

Which tire pressure should I run if the number is greatly more than than what is in the manual. The manual calls for 28psi, but my tires have 40psi (max) on the sidewall. Maybe this has to do with the fact that they are tubless tires (mounted w/ tubes on stock rims)?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Tire Pressure?
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 22:53:50

If you want a nice ride, go by the bike's figure. If you'd rather have maximum response to rider inputs and better tire life, go by what is on the sidewall. And buy a kidney belt...the stock shocks with a 40 psi rear tire will bounce you out of the seat if you run over a cigarette butt...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 06/01/05 at 07:22:58

Not having an iron but as WD must have - I keep 28-30 cold in the front and 32-34 cold in the rear on both the stock irc tires and the metz 880's - the bikes ride fine and handle well - if I were going to very heavy load the bikes I'd go up a little but not to the 40+ lbs rated - the savage is just not heavy enough and you'd reduce your tire contact patch I would think

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/01/05 at 07:51:30

There's plenty of debate about what constitutes "correct" tire pressure, but I suggest going by what your vehicle manufacturer recommends, which should be listed on the top of the belt guard, or in the owner's manual. Don't confuse the "maximum tire pressure" listed on the sidewall of the tire with the "recommended tire pressure" provided by the manufacturer of the motorcycle. "Recommended tire pressure" is what you want in your tires. If you're carrying an extra heavy load, follow the recommendation for "heavy loads," which is usually listed with the "recommended" tire pressure.

Ready for some  high school physics? Remember that tire pressure will increase as the outside air temperature rises. In fact, tire pressure will go up approximately one pound for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit. So, tires that were at 32 PSI back in January when you stored your bike could easily be closing in on 42 pounds on a hot July day. Under some conditions, that increase in pressure is enough to blow the tire! If nothing else, a tire that's overinflated will wear prematurely and will cause the bike to handle and brake poorly. By the way, while you're out there changing the air in those tires, toss that stupid pencil-style pressure gauge in the dumpster where it belongs and get an accurate, dial-type gauge.

You also have to remember friction. As you ride, there's friction between the tires and the road. Friction means heat--and heat means an increase in tire pressure. So, here's what to do about your Savage's tire pressure: Check the tire pressure before you start riding. If the recommended pressure is 28 PSI, for example, it means 28 PSI before you start riding. If you check the tire pressure when you stop to get gas two hours later, it will be much higher than 28 PSI. If you check it at this point--after you've been riding---there is no way to know what the correct tire pressure should be. You'll be tempted to let air out of the tires, because the tire pressure will be greater than 28 PSI. Do not do this, because the tires will be under inflated.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 06/01/05 at 09:53:12

I can't agree with you Savage_Rob.  2-3 psi below the sidewall max rating is too high for reasons I've just stated. The only thing I will give you is greater fuel efficiency but at the risk of lesser suspension: brake and tire efficiency. If you like "tactile feedback" it would be more perceptible with more responsive rubber on the ground.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 06/01/05 at 10:05:14

To make the confusion complete here's what I read in an Old Racing Bikes forum.

Start with the recommended pressure from the manufacturer ( Bike or Tyre).  OAT around 20 degrC.

Heat up the tyre by normal riding your bike.
Check the pressure . This should be increased  around 3 psi .
If the increase in pressure is more (than 3psi) you started with a too low pressure.
If the increase in pressure is less( than 3 psi) you started with a too high pressure.

Make sence?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/01/05 at 10:18:07

Savage_ Rob I think you missed the point on how friction will raise your tire's pressure. Running 2-3 psi below recommended max can cause you to exceed this max when riding long or aggressive or even just at a relaxed pace.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 11:25:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Pressure?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.