Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Warm up time? (Read 11 times)
Richard Amirault

Warm up time?
05/31/05 at 08:59:51

Just finished 'breaking in' an 04 this weekend (broke 1,000 miles)

I've read on the internet someplace,, and in the owners manual, that because of the long distance the oil needs to travel, you need to let the bike idle for a sufficient enough time for the oil pressure to build up before riding, or even putting it in gear. (this applies if the bike is hot or cold)

BUT, no one seems to say how long is 'sufficient'.

Using my watch I let it run at *least* 2 min, sometimes 3.

How long do you guys wait (if at all)?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Warm up time?
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 09:19:19

I back it out, start the engine, put my helmet and gloves on (no hurry - this is when I'm letting the engine "start up"), shut the garage door and ride out.

Same sequence when I start it up when it's not in the garage except for the shutting the garage door part.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 05/31/05 at 09:47:47

Do the same..except shut garage doors..no garage  Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/05 at 12:59:58

Same rough sequence of events.  I hardly ever just sit and wait for it to warm-up.  It probably takes less than 2 minutes.  BUT...I will say that I tend to take it really easy for the first half-mile or so (length of time it takes to get out of my neighborhood and to a main street.)

Tom

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 05/31/05 at 13:31:53

Ditto except mornings also involve picking up the newspaper from the lawn and tossing on the porch.  Half minute or so.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 05/31/05 at 19:06:14

Same process as everyone else; but I also do my pre-ride inspections--this should add a few more minutes to warm-up  Cheesy

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/31/05 at 20:19:07

Start bike on choke. When the bars start vibrating, turn off choke and ride away. About the time it takes to put on helmet and gloves. Much longer is just wasting fuel.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/31/05 at 21:45:40

Yep, helmet and gloves, then take off.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 06/01/05 at 03:40:20

Here's what I do ... and bear in mind that where I live in eastern Nfld. that for most of the Riding season ('cept mid Summer) it's probably cooler in the mornings than where you live (mid 30's to low 40'sF).
Pull choke full out and start Bike (usually takes only one crank of starter). Once started push choke in to 1/2 position. Let idle in neutral while I pull on helmet, gloves and zip jacket. Leave choke out at 1/2 ... slowly Ride for about 1 mile then push choke in all the way. Usually fine and well warmed up by then!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #9 - 06/02/05 at 09:33:22

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Start bike on choke. When the bars start vibrating, turn off choke and ride away. About the time it takes to put on helmet and gloves. Much longer is just wasting fuel.
-WD

Really!  How can you be so sure?

Most cars these days don't have oil pressure gauges  If you ever drove a car with one you'd be surprised to see just how long it takes for the oil pressure to build up to 'normal'

Yes, 99.9% of folks just start 'er up and drive away, oblivious to the damage that could be caused by insufficient oil pressure.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 06/02/05 at 11:01:11

I know I'm nitpicking here, but don't mistake gage reading for actual oil pressure (or anything else). All automotive oil pressure gages that I've been around are heavily damped to keep the reading steady. This gives a false impression that the pressure takes a long time to "build" up. Also don't mistake pressure reading for lubrication system effectiveness. More than one engine has been ruined by lack of lubrication when the pressure gage was reading just fine. :'(

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 06/02/05 at 14:25:47

The Camaro has hydraulic lifters -- I can tell when I'm low on oil 'cause they'll clatter.  At startup the clatter is just a couple of seconds.  You have oil pressure fairly quickly and can be rolling in a few dozen seconds with no problem.  It is, most likely, a multi-weight oil so engine temperature is not as critical as with a single weight -- but I would still allow a five minute or so warm-up before pushing too hard.

Or, paraphrasing someone's sig line, let the lady warm up her throat before asking her to scream.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/02/05 at 15:57:57

I go by sound.  When it sounds like I've been riding around a while (before I ride off, if you get me), I know it's warm.  On mY Vstar, I listen for the valves. When I can hear the valves chatter, I know it's warm (yes, you are supposed to hear the valves!).

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #13 - 06/02/05 at 17:23:09

I'm like WD, except usually no helmet or gloves.  9 months out of the year in Texas, choke is only need to fire my Savage up.  After that, the bike complains and the choke goes OFF.   Ditto for my YZF600.

My Honda Shadow 600 needs partial choke for several minutes before the bike will perform right at low speeds - I'm riding it for those minutes.  I just got a dynojet kit and I will alleviate that problem soon.

My GS1000 is the only bike that refuses to run right till it's warm, and I have to wait a few minutes for it to get that way.

I don't sit and wait for anything in the name of temp or oil pressure.  After tearing apart several motorbikes and small block Chevys after years of sitting, I've seen oil at the top of every one as long as the valve covers were on the motor.  I finally quit worrying about it.  As Paladin said, the hydraulic lifter clatter goes away within a second or so.

I DO take it easy on all my stuff till I get to the end of the block, about 300 yards or so.  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/03/05 at 10:07:50

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Really!  How can you be so sure?

Most cars these days don't have oil pressure gauges  If you ever drove a car with one you'd be surprised to see just how long it takes for the oil pressure to build up to 'normal'

Yes, 99.9% of folks just start 'er up and drive away, oblivious to the damage that could be caused by insufficient oil pressure.

How can anyone be so sure, right?  Because this works.

Your concerns are fair.  No one should start any cold engine and immediately subject it to a load.  Lubrication is important...but not so much to be paranoid.  If you start the bike and let it run while you gear up, it'll be fine.

And conversely, if there is a problem or too little oil during those 2-3 minutes of warm up, the engine will definitely let you know before you even leave the driveway....it's a whole lot prettier to sieze an engine at idle than at speed  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 13:00:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warm up time?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.