Choke? (Read 6 times)
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Choke?
05/25/05 at 05:06:46

Why do I never have to use choke, even when it is very cold?

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Choke?
Reply #1 - 05/25/05 at 05:15:24

Just clean living I guess  ???

On a serious side, I don't have to use the choke to ride either. Starts better with it. but my bike seems to run fine without it after a short period of time (putting on my helmet and gloves). At first I thought it was because I store my bike inside with a battery tender, but then my wife got a Vulcan 500 and that thing is cold blooded when compared to the savage, it needs to be choked for several minutes even with the outdoor temperature is above 50 fahrenheit. (I consider cold below 40 F).

I have started leaving the choke partway on until my first stop sign - about 1 mile, because the bike seems to need less throttle and idles smoother, but do I need to not really.

As I mentioned before, my bike is completely stock and doesn't backfire either.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/25/05 at 05:39:08

I just use mine set to halfway out to start and then to run for maybe 30-60 seconds... then push it in and run normally.  That seems to work for me year 'round.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/30/05 at 18:04:30

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I just use mine set to halfway out to start and then to run for maybe 30-60 seconds... then push it in and run normally.  That seems to work for me year 'round.

Works for me too !

Now my OTHER Suzuki (Z400 sport quad) won't run more than 5 seconds with the choke on, just needs it to start......go figure.  All I know is I've been asked often enough why I don't let mine idle for a few minutes like all them other guys...

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 05/30/05 at 18:27:52

Never use my choke either; if I do, I reallly choke her to death Roll Eyes

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/30/05 at 20:21:24

I was use to my '95 - maybe pull the choke out to the first notch and after about 20 seconds or less push it in if it's at least 65-70f in the garage - the '02 when I first got it took the choke out all the way to start and need it on 3 or 4 minutes to keep running. The '02 had a stock carb but no air box cover - can you say big time lean! the leaner you are (or colder) the more you need the choke circuit to help start.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/30/05 at 20:35:42

my 2000 first notch for about 10 seconds then back in  Kissthats all she needs

shawn

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/30/05 at 20:59:48

1st notch to start. Although, if I ride to work with it on the 1st notch, it sure behaves better...no lean "surging". I can't start mine without the choke even in 100 degree weather. Been like that since I bought it.  ???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #8 - 05/31/05 at 05:48:29

Dont need  it to start, even when its been standing a couple of weeks...I asked the question cuz its the first bike i've never needed to use choke but reading the replies has re-assured me that it can be quite normal.  Smiley

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/31/05 at 06:02:16

it would interesting to know where your idle mixture screw is set

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #10 - 05/31/05 at 06:56:38

1 3/4 turns from closed

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/31/05 at 09:07:45

i can start it with out the choke it just will not stay running for long with out giving it gas

shawn

IP Logged
Savage Beast
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Safety 1st..see
everything, & be
seen by everyone

Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 06/01/05 at 13:00:48

Need one "click" on the choke to start..then at least 30 sec.-3 min before I can take it off, depending on the temperature and how long since I last ran it. I don't need the choke nearly as long if I set the idle adjusting screw a little higher, but then it idles way too fast when it warms up...

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 06/01/05 at 14:30:06

Posted this over in the "Warm Up Time?" topic, but applies here as well ...

Quote:
Here's what I do ... and bear in mind that where I live in eastern Nfld. that for most of the Riding season ('cept mid Summer) it's probably cooler in the mornings than where you live (mid 30's to low 40'sF).
Pull choke full out and start Bike (usually takes only one crank of starter). Once started push choke in to 1/2 position. Let idle in neutral while I pull on helmet, gloves and zip jacket. Leave choke out at 1/2 ... slowly Ride for about 1 mile then push choke in all the way. Usually fine and well warmed up by then!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/02/05 at 11:54:27

I never use choke either...I just switch the key on, pull the clutch in, press the starter button and she purrs to life...no throttle needed.  My bike does live in a heated garage in winter and this is my first "warm weather" season with her, but there doesn't seem to be a dramatic change with the season.  My idle mixture screw is set at 1-1/2 turns out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 12:36:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.