Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifting (Read 2 times)
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Shifting
06/01/05 at 21:38:30

This may be a dumb question, but I've noticed that when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and so on, the bike won't shift when the clutch is pulled all the way in, it actually has to be out a bit.  I kept wondering why my husband's instructions weren't working, just discovered this by trial and error.  Is this normal?  Or is this a problem? Thanks!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Shifting
Reply #1 - 06/02/05 at 04:49:12

It's quite ok to shift with no clutch at all, some people do this automatically others need practice.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 06/02/05 at 05:07:55

I don't know for sure that it is a "problem," but I suspect it's not the way it is supposed to be.

(I can shift without the clutch lever pulled, up to all the way pulled in if I match speeds (close). If I have the lever pulled all the way, I can shift even when stopped I don't normally do this, because sometimes you can end up in neutral and have to release the lever slightly to resync the gears, but normally the gears stayed synced on my bike whether the clutch is partially engaged or not. Just for comparison, I had a pick-up truck that I had to feather the clutch to shift, but it had close to 200,000 miles on the transmission. I knew the transmission was worn, but I didn't see the wear as a problem worth changing a transmission.)

As far as being a problem, will it damage the bike or cause an accident, I don't know. It does seem like it would make it more difficult to shift if you have to "ride" the clutch. It also seems like it would wear your clutch out sooner if you have to keep it partially engaged all the time.

Good luck. I don't remember if your bike was "new" if you got it from a dealer, I'd have them look at it if you are concerned (based on your experience and answers you get here).

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/02/05 at 08:13:15

Adjust your clutch cable and see if that helps. You may be running with it TOO tight. If the clutch throw out bearing is overextending, you can ruin your pressure plate and disc pack.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 04:02:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!