Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stalling;carb,vacuum,valve.....? (Read 13 times)
nvrnf
Ex Member

Stalling;carb,vacuum,valve.....?
05/30/05 at 12:24:51

??? I have a '93 that has very similar stalling issues to others that have posted...
They began in Sept.2003. It was a dark & stormy night... rpm started to go down and no amout of throttle would get them up- seemed to kill it actually.  Waited 10 min or so,, fired up again,  5 min riding...putt,putt cough, dies. Same thing. This repeated through rush hour traffic for an hour, each time getting about  .75 mile each time.  
I thought because of rain, it could be electrical. At that time did not think of fuel petc**k, but sure felt like a 'compression issue' to a rookie.

Called mechanic for tow and swore I'd never sit on her again.
$400 later, could not afford another ride, so kept it...
Ran GREAT all summer 2004 through cold rainy spring too & hot dry days!, until one fateful dark & stormy September night in rush hour traffic....

Deja vu...I could not believe it. Same thing. This time I called a friend with a trailer, saved $400 and still don't know what the heck it is.

I have limited knowledge, a bit more confidence and enough mechanical aptitude to try anything once.  

First thought it was Fuel Delivery- off came the Fuel Petco*k, hoses, carb. all 'looked' OK- gas cap off made no difference  but did notice that while gas 'ran' out of the hose on PRI, it kind 'dribbled' on 'ON'. The diaphragm looked a little 'lopsided', but not knowing what a 'good one' looks like, I have no comparison.

Then dicovered a thing called a 'decompression cable' that must be checked- I know I've never done it...

Then I thought it might be a sticky valve- MMO has been praised on other sites.

I am ready to cut the tank in half and use the entire thing as a planter/yard ornament.

Why did it run for ONE YEAR  almost exactly, but die in the exact same conditions, when it had ridden through many crappy days in June & August?

Can anyone tell me what size the vacuum hoses are - I'm at work and gonna stop on the way home to get new ones- start with the basics.,..
I am ready to scream! Waaaay passed the swearing stage!

TIA
Martha

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Stalling;carb,vacuum,valve.....?
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 12:04:55

You need to get a vacuum hose with a 3/16" inside diameter. Try and get butyl rubber or silicone hose with a thick OD around 7/16". Also replace those cheap snap rings with quality clamps like fuel injection clamps.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/05 at 04:00:02

Martha,

I have an '02 and have had similar, but not exact, problems as you describe.  

As you suggest, the first thing I would do is replace the vacuum line from the petcoc- to the carb. Just make sure the clamps make a good seal.

What has also helped my bike is the addition of Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 cycle oil to the fuel. I like MMO, but have used 2 cycle oil. Now, I rarely fill the tank up without adding MMO and from time to time I also add Seafoam.

Much luck with you diagnosis.

IP Logged
nvrnf
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/05 at 05:26:39

THANKS! I never thought of the clamps as well!
Much rather do hoses than valves!
MMO is on the list for this weekend!
Will beg again for help if not successful! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling;carb,vacuum,valve.....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.