YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Safety 1st..see
everything, & be
seen by everyone

Ontario, Canada
Cam chain concerns?
05/31/05 at 17:57:38

Hi fellow savage fans...Just got a 1990 Savage 4 speed, 21,000km (12,800 miles). I wonder if anyone could tell me about cam chains on the Savage. Is there an auto tensioner, or does it require manual adjusting?...I don't yet have the manual, but will be ordering one (any suggestions which one is best?). I notice a fair amount of clatter in the engine, but am not sure how much is valve noise (a valve adjustment will be on the to do list once I get the manual as well) My concern would be a loose cam chain. Is this a concern with Savages? I have not seen any posts mention it, so I suspect it is not an issue with most. The clatter is not that bad, but I am a bit paranoid as my last bike (1980 Honda CX500) required manual tensioning  every 5000 km or so. A loose cam chain in the cx500 would  produce a similar sound  to the one I hear now in my Savage...Any insight?

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Re: Cam chain concerns?
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 21:19:35

I have a 86 savage not sure if the km's are 29000 or 129000 as I bought the bike used and there is only 5 spots on the odemeter, I just replaced the cam chain last summer, it does have a cam chain tenisor, but once it gets worn past that point the tenisor just falls apart inside makes a noise that makes you shut it off right away.  hope that helps

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Cam chain concerns?
Reply #2 - 06/01/05 at 01:48:23

The camchain should last around 30,000 Km. I frequent also a German forum where this is confimed . These riders like to have old Savages as the regulations about noise and polution have been tightened over the years.
When you replace the chain also replace the  rear guide#3.
This guide can be replace from the botom.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/cam_chain/cam_chain.cfm?man=su&groupid...
Happy wrenching
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:17:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain concerns?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.