Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drilled Disks (Read 14 times)
DW4799
Ex Member

Drilled Disks
05/26/05 at 16:20:56

Has anyone tried drilling the front disk to stop the squeek.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Drilled Disks
Reply #1 - 05/26/05 at 16:40:00

That won't fix the cause of the squeak, but it may help the symptoms.  Though I haven't done it on my Savage, I drilled my double disks myself on my XS850 using a rotary table to get the spacing even.  Just make sure to deburr and chamfer the holes when you do, or you'll eat your pads in a hurry.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/26/05 at 19:04:59

As long as we are talking about discs, I have been wondering about a disc brake system swap...or more precisely, are the mounting brackets for the brake system that are on the fork tubes standard in size?  I mean, is there a standard size for all or most bikes or does each manufacturer have their own size?  
Anyone know?

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 05/26/05 at 19:30:10

When mine start squeaking, I do a few real hard slow speed stops.  That seems to clean them up for a while.

Also, when I take it the diy carwash, after the rest is clean, I run a high power spray (rinse not soap) down between the brakes and it seems to alo keep the squeaks away.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/26/05 at 21:12:59

Most motorcycle caliper mounts are similar. Are any close to the Savage? Not that I've seen... trust me I've looked. Single piston calipers are a joke compared to modern designs. They work, but a dual piston set-up would be better. 6 piston linear force application is the best out there.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 05/27/05 at 01:23:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
That won't fix the cause of the squeak, but it may help the symptoms.  Though I haven't done it on my Savage, I drilled my double disks myself on my XS850 using a rotary table to get the spacing even.  Just make sure to deburr and chamfer the holes when you do, or you'll eat your pads in a hurry.

EBC supplies a drilled rotor ( the only aftermarket available as far as I know).
Fitted the rotor without deburring and chamfering the holes. Inner brakepad ( sintered type) worn to the metal in less the 100Km. So went back to the original Suzuki part.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 05/27/05 at 02:30:10

On my KLX the standard sloted discs didn't squeak and neither have the drilled EBC's but the EBC's are more powerfull.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/27/05 at 05:29:15

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
EBC supplies a drilled rotor ( the only aftermarket available as far as I know).
Fitted the rotor without deburring and chamfering the holes. Inner brakepad ( sintered type) worn to the metal in less the 100Km. So went back to the original Suzuki part.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

That's why I suggested the deburr and chamfer....Hard to believe that EBC did that, too.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 05/27/05 at 08:43:25

Hey Greg

Well done on going past the 2000 mark.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #9 - 05/27/05 at 13:13:31

I did that on my previous bike, a 1986 Yamaha XS250, and the brakes did behave a bit better, but I did it for increasing braking power, not squeaking....

RW

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 05/27/05 at 13:19:09

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hey Greg

Well done on going past the 2000 mark.

Clive W  Cheesy

Thanks.

Does that mean that I need to "get a life?"

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Nerd alert - non-nerds move on.
Reply #11 - 05/28/05 at 06:43:03

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
In simple terms cooler brakes work better. As the brakes are applied the exterior of the pad glazes over. This glazed layer (the black powder from the brakes that forms on the vehicles wheels) is a few microns thick but it is very smooth as opposed to the normally abrasive material on the pad.  This smooth layer inhibits the friction that is used to stop the bike and it is normally held in-between the pad and rotor until you release the brake. With holes the glazed material is allowed to escape thus allowing abrasive material to come in contact with the rotor. Not to mention since the rotor and pad are cooler it takes a little longer to glaze over.
Michael  8)

This is a very good simple explanation.  I actually majored in physics back in the 14th century (1985-1991), and we studied lots of heat related phenomena stuff.

The nerdy pocket-protector physics goes like this.

Remember Newton's laws, one of which was "energy is niether created nor destroyed, just converted from one form to another?"

A bike (mass=m) moving at a certain speed (velocity=v) has a certain kinetic energy(E), I think it's E=1/2mv2 if I remember right.  More speed = more energy, put in there by the motor which converts the fuel&air's combustion energy to mechanical energy (and noise and heat).  The bike's mass is constant, it don't change, so when we are moving the energy is directly related to the square of the velocity.  [glow=red,2,300]E~v2 [/glow]

Brakes slow the bike down.  So where does the energy go?  It ain't destroyed.  It gets converted to HEAT, and the change in temp is abbreviated (deltaT, or dT since I can't make a greek "delta" on the keyboard).  Brakes introduce friction which heats up the pads and rotor (also bearings, tires, etc. etc. etc.).  These have mass (m) and a thermal coefficient (c).   As long as we are not melting or boiling the parts, the energy(E)-to-heat (dT)relationship is E=mc(dT).  Thermal coeff (c) is constant, it don't change, so change in energy is directly proportional to the change in temp (dT) -- [glow=red,2,300]E~dT [/glow]

The E from change in speed and the E from dT are the same E, for braking purposes, so the change in temp of the brake parts is directly proportional to the SQUARE of the change in velocity(v):  [glow=red,2,300]dT~(dV)2 [/glow]

You can see at least mathematically why things get hot so fast.  You can also tell it when you burn your fingers on the hot parts or see the smoke from the brakes.

The deltaT has to be dissipated, or the brakes will get red, glaze over, oxidize, anneal, and eventually melt.  There comes a point where the brakes can't physically get any hotter till parts melt (this is called latent heat of fusion).  At this point, we can no longer convert mechanical energy to heat energy and the brakes don't work! The closer we get to this point, the less the brakes work.  In racing, they call this "brake fade", and it's a big problem they deal with by going to drilled rotors.  The drilled rotors increase the surface area and turbulence of the air, cooling the steel faster, and lessening the brake fade.

We don't see this very often on the street, but it's still happening to a lesser degree.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Re: Nerd alert - non-nerds move on.
Reply #12 - 05/28/05 at 08:40:16

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
This is a very good simple explanation.  I actually majored in physics back in the 14th century (1985-1991), and we studied lots of heat related phenomena stuff.

Remember Newton's laws, one of which was "energy is niether created nor destroyed, just converted from one form to another?"

A bike (mass=m) moving at a certain speed (velocity=v) has a certain kinetic energy(E), I think it's E=1/2mv2 if I remember right.  More speed = more energy, put in there by the motor which converts the fuel&air's combustion energy to mechanical energy (and noise and heat).  The bike's mass is constant, it don't change, so when we are moving the energy is directly related to the square of the velocity.  [glow=red,2,300]E~v2 [/glow]

Brakes slow the bike down.  So where does the energy go?  It ain't destroyed.  It gets converted to HEAT, and the change in temp is abbreviated (deltaT, or dT since I can't make a greek "delta" on the keyboard).  Brakes introduce friction which heats up the pads and rotor (also bearings, tires, etc. etc. etc.).  These have mass (m) and a thermal coefficient (c).   As long as we are not melting or boiling the parts, the energy(E)-to-heat (dT)relationship is E=mc(dT).  Thermal coeff (c) is constant, it don't change, so change in energy is directly proportional to the change in temp (dT) -- [glow=red,2,300]E~dT [/glow]

The E from change in speed and the E from dT are the same E, for braking purposes, so the change in temp of the brake parts is directly proportional to the SQUARE of the change in velocity(v):  [glow=red,2,300]dT~(dV)2 [/glow]

You can see at least mathematically why things get hot so fast.  You can also tell it when you burn your fingers on the hot parts or see the smoke from the brakes.

The deltaT has to be dissipated, or the brakes will get red, glaze over, oxidize, anneal, and eventually melt.  There comes a point where the brakes can't physically get any hotter till parts melt (this is called latent heat of fusion).  At this point, we can no longer convert mechanical energy to heat energy and the brakes don't work! The closer we get to this point, the less the brakes work.  In racing, they call this "brake fade", and it's a big problem they deal with by going to drilled rotors.  The drilled rotors increase the surface area and turbulence of the air, cooling the steel faster, and lessening the brake fade.

We don't see this very often on the street, but it's still happening to a lesser degree.

OUCH my head hurts! just kidding. bravo Bobo! with the people we have here we should put together a Biz. 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Nerd alert - non-nerds move on.
Reply #13 - 05/28/05 at 11:51:52

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

In conclusion:  Drill equally spaced holes in your rotor if you want, but don't drill too many.  Brake pads can't grab air  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #14 - 05/28/05 at 12:40:25

And drill the pads, too. Shocked  Let me know how it works out... Grin

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged