Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Trip Meter Ideas (Read 2806 times)
AnnB
Ex Member

Trip Meter Ideas
05/21/05 at 04:52:52

New member so bear with me here.  I have the 2005 S40.  

The biggest drawback is that there is no trip meter (I hate running out of gas).  Can the speedometer be changed to one WITH a trip meter?  If so any suggestions as to where to find one? Tongue

Title edited by Susan

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 12:44:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Change Speedometer?
Reply #1 - 05/21/05 at 06:19:34

Easiest way to add a trip meter is to add a bike (bicycle)computer, which also gives you a speedo, hour meter, and all kinds of other functions.  Some have a compass, which is also nice.  The bicycle computer is totally separate form the rest of the cycle.  You can even keep your stock speedometer in place (or yank it to make a great in-tank cup holder).

The sport bike guys swear by the Sigma BC800 -- eBay has several for $15-$30.  BC800 is accurate at motorcycle speeds ( to 180 mph - something the Savage would never see).  Most bicycle computers won't accurately display over about 50 or so.

Here's a little article with pics:  http://www.canyonchasers.com/shop/generic/sigma.php

Here's the manufacturer's website so you can see what the computers will do:  http://www.sigmasport.com/index_usa.html

GPS is also an interesting idea, but more $ and takes a minute to aquire satellites.

Last resort is to go with an aftermarket speedo, which likely will not fit the tank opening.  They have them to mount up on the handlbars.  I'll look for a web link...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 05/21/05 at 08:40:54

AnnB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
... The biggest drawback is that there is no trip meter (I hate running out of gas). ....
Running out of gas is normal.  As you are riding the Savage starts popping and sputtering and running a bit wierd so you reach down and move the lever forward to "res"erve.  You then have about another half gallon -- 20+ miles.

What I'm doing is fueling up every 100 miles fairly soon after turning "00".  The way I ride I'm usually hitting reserve at the same time.

WWW   IP Logged
AnnB
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/05 at 17:04:31

Grin  BoBo thanks.  Did the reseach and bought a Sigma on Ebay.  For $20.85 it sounds like just what I need.  Thanks and keep on riding (and answering)

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #4 - 05/21/05 at 19:46:50

Let us know how it works out for you, and post a photo if you can.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/23/05 at 04:29:20

This sounds like the answer to my search!  I've been looking for a clock and a gas gauge.  It might not be a gas gauge, but it will be a reminder of when to fuel up.  I'm going to check these out!

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 05/23/05 at 04:49:34

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Let us know how it works out for you, and post a photo if you can.

Here's a picture of my installation of the Sigma

The wire is curled around the brakehose and the gauge mounts right in the middle of the handlebar.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #7 - 05/23/05 at 16:26:56

That looks good!  Now to figure out how to install a tach in the stock speedo location...

I can pull the Harley tach off my lawnmower, it's close to the same size as the Savage speedo...

I know I don't need it.  I just like having a tach.  It brings out the redneck in me.  Increasing my redneck-ness was my new year's resolution, and I've kept it admirably (deplorably?)

Should have pics soon.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/23/05 at 19:41:17

you need some stacks on that like in "lawn mower man" - his was a reel mower best i recall w/a pair of chrome stacks - hey that left over HD SE slipon!

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #9 - 05/23/05 at 19:51:25

Oh, I hadn't thought of the leftover HD pipe, but It's promised to OKMike.  

HEY, I still have the stock Savage pipe, that I gutted out!  Oh, the wheels are turnin'.....

Man, that's an excellent idea!  Thanks!

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
AnnB
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/25/05 at 12:58:24

Embarrassed OK now I got the BC800 how did you determine the wheel size.  I got to that part of the set-up and just lost it totally.  Guess I am mathematically challenged.  Looked at the tire itself, it is 19" and that is NOT even in any of their charts.  Did you measure yours???

Ann

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 05/25/05 at 20:46:22

No idea what the units are the device needs as input but measure from the center of the axle to the edge of tire - radius - times 2 is the diameter and the diameter times 3.1415 is the ~ circumference - this is how many inches long the tire is - so what unit of measure does the device need?

did a quick measure of a new (700 miles) irc tire on the '02 with a couple of yard sticks - looks like it's

radius ~ 13.5 inches
diameter ~ 27 inches
circumference ~ 84.82 inches

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 05/26/05 at 11:09:40

AnnB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Embarrassed OK now I got the BC800 how did you determine the wheel size.  I got to that part of the set-up and just lost it totally.  Guess I am mathematically challenged.  Looked at the tire itself, it is 19" and that is NOT even in any of their charts.  Did you measure yours???

Ann

Calculate the circumference as follows: Make a scribemark with chalc or tipex on the tire and the floor. move the bike so the tyre turns to one revelution, make the mark on the floor. Take the measurement between the two floormarks. Enter this figure in the setup menu .
Presto, your speed will be accurate, even bter than the mechanicaly driven speedometer.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
AnnB
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/27/05 at 02:47:10

SmileyThanks guys for all the help will let you know how it works for me.  Went to Radio Shack here and no problem with the magnets, and cheap too

IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/29/05 at 17:51:10

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Here's a picture of my installation of the Sigma

http://img67.echo.cx/img67/1451/TachSav2.jpg

The wire is curled around the brakehose and the gauge mounts right in the middle of the handlebar.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

I got one of these too!  Can you tell me how you attached it to the brake caliper?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:33:14

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Trip Meter Ideas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.