Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windsheild (Read 4 times)
Savi650
Ex Member

Windsheild
05/19/05 at 18:42:21

I know this is a very popular subject and you guys have probably already more than covered it.  I live in Illinois and the wind here can really get to be a problem when riding.  So I decided to go for the windsheild, but I'm confused on what to get.  I'm kinda looking for something sporty..  not to big and not to small that will cover nothing.  Any suggestions appreciated!  Thanks guys!  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Windsheild
Reply #1 - 05/19/05 at 22:09:45

The National Cycle Flyscreen, all nine inches of it, deflects the wind from the about mid-chest down.  The drawback is the deflected wind hits the face/helmet with an upward thrust.  Might be able to adjust the angle of deflection.  Mine is off for a while.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/19/05 at 23:07:37

Biggest thing to remember is you look OVER motorcycle windshields. If you are looking THROUGH it, youneed to cut it down some, about nose tip height while seated on the bike is about as high as you should go.

I like Rifle, National Cycle, or Memphis Shades. The rest are junk.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 05/20/05 at 05:44:22

I have a full NC windshield that I really like a lot.  Besides keeping most of the wind off of me, it keeps a lot of road yuck off too... especially when the road is just slightly wet and the cages are slinging crap behind 'em.

I also have the NC flyscreen and have put it on in place of the full windshield for a trial during the summer to see if the additional breeze is worth the road yuck potential.  It's just mid-May and today it's supposed to be 95 F (and feel like 106 F with the humidity, they say).  That said, July and August require a breeze for cooling.  I also wear an evaporative cooling vest during the hottest times.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #4 - 05/20/05 at 17:05:43

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Biggest thing to remember is you look OVER motorcycle windshields. If you are looking THROUGH it, youneed to cut it down some, about nose tip height while seated on the bike is about as high as you should go.

I like Rifle, National Cycle, or Memphis Shades. The rest are junk.
-WD

WD it isn't very often, But I have to disagree I look through my screen and will not lower it. I do not always ride with a helmet and that screen has taken several hits from rocks and the like that would have hit me in the head I know this by where they impacted the screen. I had one rock that if it would have hit me where it hit the screen I may not be here right now. I relax and slouch when I ride and in this position. I look through the screen. If the screen gets sludge slung on it all I have to do is sit upright and I can see over it enough to get pulled over. If there is a safety reason or something I have overlooked please enlighten me. But they way I see it the more protection (That keeps me looking cool) for my face and eyes the better. I know that I just said "the more protection for my face and eyes the better" and that doesn’t make a lot of sense in the same paragraph saying "I do not always ride with a helmet" but sometimes I have to feel that free wind on my face even if it is slightly buffed by the windscreen. No disrespect sir just my opition. To each there own. 8) 8) 8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/20/05 at 20:13:08

It's a safety thing for night riding. During the day, looking through the shield isn't really a problem. BUT, at night oncoming headlights tend to "halo" around sand pitting and scratches. On the few bikes I've had with windshields (3 out of 75), I ended up cutting them down. Now I use a police helmet with flip down "riot" shield faceplate. If the oncoming lights are excessive, I'll open the shield and slow down.

Windshields can be a blessing AND a curse at the same time. If you keep it clean and as scratch free as possible, and like the reduced buffeting, more power to you. If you are lazy or a cheapskate and won't clean/replace the shield as needed, you are better off without one.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #6 - 05/20/05 at 20:19:50

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It's a safety thing for night riding. During the day, looking through the shield isn't really a problem. BUT, at night oncoming headlights tend to "halo" around sand pitting and scratches. On the few bikes I've had with windshields (3 out of 75), I ended up cutting them down. Now I use a police helmet with flip down "riot" shield faceplate. If the oncoming lights are excessive, I'll open the shield and slow down.

Windshields can be a blessing AND a curse at the same time. If you keep it clean and as scratch free as possible, and like the reduced buffeting, more power to you. If you are lazy or a cheapskate and won't clean/replace the shield as needed, you are better off without one.
-WD

Point well taken sir. I do ride into work at night but haven't had a problem yet as you stated I do keep it clean. 8)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/20/05 at 20:46:12

For my vote the Memphis Shades HellCat is a perfect fit

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/20/05 at 21:39:24

I have a Memphis Shades, which I use occasionally, and really like it a lot.  I do not remember the exact model for sure, maybe something like Bladerunner, but it works well....another ebay deal...$35...brand new and with hardware includedd.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 05/21/05 at 16:21:24

I was adjusting the angle of my windshield when out riding and had something wierd happen. The windshield was laid back a bit, not straight up and down and when i got the scoot up to about 85mph it felt like someone was trying to pull my helmet straight up off of my head, even could feel it yanking on the chin strap. All I can think of is that the angle of the windshield caused a low pressure pocket above my head. Slowed down to 80mph and it went away, sped up to 85 and it was back.
Anybody else have this happen to them? I wear a full faced helmet with the faceshield open by about 1/2 an inch. Just a bit curious as to what was happening. ??? Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/21/05 at 18:42:35

I use and can recommend the National Cycle Street Shield EX (sized for the Savage) with quick release.  It works well and looks good (for a windshield).  Picked it up new on eBay for $28 plus a little shipping.  The part number is N2568.

IP Logged
Savi650
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/23/05 at 09:12:10

Grin Thanks to all of you guys..  I'll pick a windsheild based on your recomendations and tips..  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Savi650
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/02/05 at 15:57:28

I'm having some strong doubts about this windshield thing   ??? ...  do any of you guys know if NC Defelctor Sheild EX will fix the S40??

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/02/05 at 16:23:26

red2k1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I use and can recommend the National Cycle Street Shield EX (sized for the Savage) with quick release.  It works well and looks good (for a windshield).  Picked it up new on eBay for $28 plus a little shipping.  The part number is N2568.

Thats what I use. Like it. Hits me right at eye level too. I can duck my head a bit and be under it or sit straight up and see just over it. rather slim and sylish. Not certain its the same Model as that but it is a National Street Shield.

by the way you got a good deal. I think they like 75 bucks normaly. Or were...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 10:36:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windsheild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.