Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfire just got REALLY bad, ideas? (Read 13 times)
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Backfire just got REALLY bad, ideas?
Reply #15 - 05/20/05 at 07:47:24

Not meaning to be dense, but which way do you install this?  Big end forward or towards the back?

And, is 2" the right size?  I really like my muffler, but I have decided I have to stop this leak (found another leak yesterday...blackening my oil check window)

Tom

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 05/20/05 at 08:31:02

I would assume wider end aft.  I ordered one yesterday so when I get it on, I'll let you know if it's the right size.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/20/05 at 08:38:18

I also assume big-end aft.  Can you take a picture after you get it mounted?  Thanks!

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #18 - 05/20/05 at 21:26:51

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and have my Screamin' Eagle welded on by the local muff shop.  Sounds great, and it's too tough to buffalo down with the u-bolt clamps that worked so well on the stock sportster muff.  I tried the muff tape too, with the same results as you guys got.  Sux.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/21/05 at 21:18:34

LOL, first real riding today after doing the head seal plug, and the broken head bolt, and the dead electrical system (which I'm still not sure about but she's running and I have my theories)... Anyway, yup, the exhaust tape pretty much either went up in smoke, fell off or is going to be pulled off very soon.  It lasted maybe 2 miles before it began but might have actually taken 15 miles to fully destruct.  Anyway, I hope the new clamp does it.  It should arrive next week sometime.  At least it looks like there are no oil leaks.  I'll give it a few weeks to be sure though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #20 - 05/22/05 at 07:10:14

This post got me looking and thinking - I started getting pops out the pipe after putting on the Screamin' Eagle, and I had removed the entire head pipe for that.  I went in yeterday for a look-see, and my head-to-pipe exhaust gasket is trashed.  No wonder I got popping and black smoking at the same time on the first Amal run.

Got another one ordered.  Thanks, guys!

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 06:04:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire just got REALLY bad, ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.