Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pipe Discoloration Q (Read 3 times)
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Pipe Discoloration Q
05/11/05 at 05:06:02

Ok, I know that the bluing on the pipes is due to the lean mixture...and I know that there are products to take it off...to that's been covered.

However, here's my story:
I bought my bike from a dealership, used.  It had 412 miles on it...but lately, I'm beginning to be a little suspicious of the bike history.

For one thing, when I took the bike to the shop for the belt adjustment, the mech there asked me several times if I'd ever replaced the rear tire.  I told him no and told him where I got the bike and the mileage...

Second, and this is my question:  The discoloration on my pipe, up near where it attaches to the engine is NOT blue, but gold.  Somebody told me that means the mixture is too rich.  Is that possible?  Is it possible that my carb has been modified and I didn't know it?  How could I know?

I don't have a lot of backfiring issues but there are some.  When I stop the bike, I get a little muffled "poot", and I've only had one real shotgun blast all season.

Any thing specific I can look for without taking anything apart to know if modifications have been made?

EDIT:  Oh yeah...my bike is a 2003

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Pipe Discoloration Q
Reply #1 - 05/11/05 at 06:48:22

be pretty tough without putting a 10mm and a phillips to work - but a clue might be if the plug the covers the mixture screw is out - see a current post on backfires - but if you have a fair bit of elevation there (no idea) you won't be running near as lean as the sealevel folks - it's  1,000 ft to 2,000 ft (can't find my chart) = 1 jet size

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/11/05 at 06:53:39

The gold is about what you want with the stock header.  I don't think you can stop that from occurring.  Blue is what you usually get from the stock setup but can take a while to occur and gold happens first.  It's possible it's still stock and simply has not blued yet.  I got mine with 1600 miles on it and it was only barely gold.  It was stock and I have since modified it.  The questioning on the wheel, well I don't know what that's about...  The thing that would make me wonder if it's still stock is the fact you get very little backfiring.  The "chuff" at shutdown is normal and it's possible that the way you ride minimizes backfiring.  The only way I know to see for sure it to look at your carb in a few places.  The mixture screw on the right side should still have a plug over it if it's stock.  The main jet is relatively easy to reach (bottom of carb has to be opened) to see if it's been upsized.  To check the white spacer, you'll have to pull the tank and open the top of the carb.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 05/11/05 at 08:26:32

I remember reading a post pretty long time ago. Somebody wrote, that for the first 2 or 4000 miles he did not have a backfiring problem and it started showing up latter.
About the tire question - Almost all the jap bikes come with Bridgestones or at least some big name brand tires. All of a sudden You show up there with some no name tires and may be this is the reason for the mechanic to pay attention.
About the discoloration- Reelthing and Savage_Rob are right in their suggestions so this might explain Your situation plus the lack of backfiring.
The conclision - Enjoy Your bike

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/11/05 at 12:44:59

Savages come with IRC tires, bar none, the worst tires ever factory installed. Anything else on either end of a Savage is a replacement tire. I've never even seen IRC tires in a catalog...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/11/05 at 16:17:53

http://www.accwhse.com/irc.htm

They are more expensive than the Dunlop D404's from the same source.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:39:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pipe Discoloration Q

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.