Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hello again. (Read 2 times)
Karen627
Ex Member

Hello again.
05/10/05 at 20:13:02

Just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I posted once before, back in March, asking about the Willie and Max regular slant (as opposed to the compact slant).  Thanks again for the advice -- I got 'em, and yeah, they're a bit big -- but they fit, so I'm happy.  

Anyway.  I'm new to riding -- got my S40 in February, took the MSF class in March, and I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of it.  And thanks this forum, I'm not surprised by the backfiring.   Grin  Just one question, though -- does it hurt the bike to leave it like that, rather than doing the whole screw/spacer etc. thing?

Also, I've noticed the lack of aftermarket accessories for the Savage/S40 (the J&P Cycles metric catalog lists just about every bike except this one).  Is there another bike whose accessories fit the S40?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Hello again.
Reply #1 - 05/10/05 at 20:21:05

It doesn't hurt it to leave the carb alone. Yes, it seems the market doesn't know we exist, which is odd given that the bike has been around since 1986. I usually end up doing Google searches for parts. J.C Whitney sends me their catalog which has NOTHING specifically for the Savage but carries stuff for new models.   Undecided

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 05/10/05 at 20:21:56

It won't hurt a thing to let it keep on talking.  I fooled around and cured by Savage's backfires in my quest for more performance, but it don't hurt a thing to keep it stock.

I'm not real big on store-bought accessories, so I can't answer the other question.  I do like to fabricate stuff, though.  I've been accused of greater-than-average redneckness.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #3 - 05/10/05 at 21:52:29

I have added to mine, carrier(Suzuki), trunk,(JC Wit.), drivers back rest(ProTec)National Cycle shield, highway bars(Acc. Int.)  back rest, shield, and bars, all listed for LS 650.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 05/10/05 at 22:21:24

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
....Also, I've noticed the lack of aftermarket accessories for the Savage/S40 (the J&P Cycles metric catalog lists just about every bike except this one).  Is there another bike whose accessories fit the S40?

There are two ways of shopping:

1.  Look at the catalog and go "oh, that looks neat" and buy what others feel you need/want.

2.  Decide you want to have or do and then look at the catalogs to find what you feel you need/want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As you've already discovered, whatever you might want for the Savage you can find it here or find out why you don't want it.

WWW   IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/10/05 at 23:02:26

I won't be shopping for anything based on what others feel I should want or need -- which is fun, given that my husband also rides, and I think he's as interested in stuff for my bike as he is in stuff for his own.   Roll Eyes

Anyway, it's the dopiest thing, and it serves no purpose.  But for some reason I want to get a chrome master cylinder cap.  (I'm not nuts about the one Suzuki sells.)

I like the Cobra chrome master cylinder caps.  On Cruiser Customizing.com, I did a sort to show products for the S40 and the Cobra caps came up, but the page for them says they're for Hondas, so I'm wondering they fit.  

And, of course, I want to get the universal chrome choke knob cover.  I don't see any reason why that won't fit, though.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/10/05 at 23:40:19

Master cylinder cap? That's easy, buy a set for a VS800 Intruder and sell the spare one. It is the exact same master cylinder, just has an extra lid for the hydraulic clutch, which uses the same top plate.

Mirrors: any HD with the 10mm adaptor kit. Or Honda or Kawasaki with 10mm stem threads.
Grips: any HD
Lights, signal: aftermarket HD, I love the Custom Chrome units.
Pegs: VS except 1400.
Footboards: VS 800
Light, head: HD or VS800
Light, tail: happy hunting, nothing else fits without some tinkering.
Windshields: too many choices to list, including cafe racer 1/4 fairings and full fairings.
Seats: good luck, OEM or sprung solo.
Handlebars: any 1 inch diameter.
Exhaust: aftermarket HD fit fine, so do OEM HD.

Just a quick off the top of my head listing. Believe me, you can make most anything fit if you have a Dremel tool.  Wink Check the Member's rides map photos.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/11/05 at 15:30:02

check out accessory internationals web site they carry some stuff for savage, like light bars rear chrome pulley cover and chrome front hub cover.

IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/11/05 at 15:33:54

oh and one more thing since you seem to like chrome i just had my side covers chromed at vanguard plating in conroe texas charged 85.00 for the pair

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/11/05 at 17:49:16

Thanks, everyone.  I'm going to leave the backfiring as/is for now -- it's kind of goofy.  Cheesy  I will, however, search this forum again about that, though -- I want to see how the steps to take to eliminate the backfire would affect the gas mileage.

WD -- thanks so much for the list, and for the info on the master cylinder cap.  Turns out Cobra makes the cap I want for the VS800.  And I swear, there's something wrong with me for being so happy about that.  Smiley  I ordered it this morning, along with a choke knob cover.  But now you've gone and mentioned mirrors...  

I have no idea what a Dremel tool is.  (I'll Google it if I'm ever ready to find out.)  

Goose, thanks for mentioning Accessory International.  I had come across that site before (way back when I didn't want to change anything on my bike), but forgot about it.  

You know, I was fine a couple of months ago.  I liked the way my bike was.  I have no idea what happened.  ??? Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/11/05 at 19:47:24

You have learned and adapted yourself to my mantra: It's MY bike, stock sux, and maybe I don't like YOUR motorcycle either. So there.  Grin
-WD

Besides, if you don't mess with the cosmetics and junk, how can it truly be yours?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/12/05 at 06:00:09

In the Technical Corner there are a few posts with links to places for parts and accessories such as Accessory List and Best Sources for Savage Parts.  Browse through them a bit and see if that helps.

Oh, and this is a Dremel.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/12/05 at 07:24:58

I forgot something. Th HD mirrors have to be the kind with a seperate hardware pack, not an integral threaded stem. OOPS.

The older VS 800s had the exact same taillight as the Savage.

Like I said, you can make anything fit if you don't mind some tinkering and buy a Dremel tool or other miniature die grinder. Forgot that not everyone has one at home since I've been lucky enough to have several Dremels or such since 91. ( I tend to wear them out )
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 05/12/05 at 07:38:04

Carb mods

I found that when I changed my carb to a performance one (Keihin FCR41) it only used more fuel when I used the extra get up and go, same thing should apply to the screw/spacer/jet thing + it would make for a much nicer ride also.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Gas Mileage
Reply #14 - 05/12/05 at 08:21:33

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
....I want to see how the steps to take to eliminate the backfire would affect the gas mileage.....

Gas mileage is affected FAR more by how you ride/drive than what you ride/drive.  Personal bests include 30mpg on a '64 Honda Sport 50 (which only saw full throttle operation) and 80mpg on a Suzuki GS450E (w/fairing top gear highway cruising at 45-50 mph)

Somewhere around here there's a thread on gas mileage.  Seems most get 50+ city and 60+ highway.  Some of us get 45- city as we have a problem with accelerating at less than full throttle.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 19:02:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello again.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.