Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Micro-thumpers"...worth buying? (Read 13 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
"Micro-thumpers"...worth buying?
05/17/05 at 08:26:55

At work, we have a Honda CL100, a CZ175 (Jawa?), and a belt drive 250cc Kawasaki. You folks think any of these are worthwhile project bikes? Also have a Yamaha 175 dual sport, 1970s vintage. In beautiful condition.

I've been thinking of picking up the 250 Kawi as a chopper project. It's a bit too little for its current set-up, a pseudo-bagger.It's cute, but would look better chopped. Was thinking fork boots, sprung seat, 21 inch drum braked front wheel, hardtail conversion, high bars... kind of a rat Triumph Tiger look.

Just seems wrong to let these vintage thumpers go to people who are buying an inexpensive bike to beat the snot out of in city commuting.  :'(
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: "Micro-thumpers"...worth buying?
Reply #1 - 05/17/05 at 10:39:04

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
At work, we have a Honda CL100, a CZ175 (Jawa?), and a belt drive 250cc Kawasaki. You folks think any of these are worthwhile project bikes? Also have a Yamaha 175 dual sport, 1970s vintage. In beautiful condition.

I've been thinking of picking up the 250 Kawi as a chopper project. It's a bit too little for its current set-up, a pseudo-bagger.It's cute, but would look better chopped. Was thinking fork boots, sprung seat, 21 inch drum braked front wheel, hardtail conversion, high bars... kind of a rat Triumph Tiger look.

Just seems wrong to let these vintage thumpers go to people who are buying an inexpensive bike to beat the snot out of in city commuting.  :'(
-WD

How much for the CL100 or the 250 Kaw?

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #2 - 05/17/05 at 11:32:03

wd... do it, I'd love to see what you come up with  Cheesy

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/17/05 at 15:45:12

I know the Honda CL100 is basically bomb-proof because it has the same engine as my first bike, a 1973 SL-100 & I rode that thing wide open everywhere I went, sometimes in the dirt & never broke it. The 22mm Keihn slide carb is a bear to rejet if you open up the airbox.   Grin

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 05/17/05 at 17:48:03

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
.... Also have a Yamaha 175 dual sport, 1970s vintage. In beautiful condition....

I had a Yamaha DT175 that I bought new in '74 and rode thru '86 (sold it after I got married.)  The gearing on the Enduros was a compromise.  Rather than compromise I picked up two more countershaft sprockets, one with a couple more and one with a couple less teeth.  I still have one of them, with 16 teeth.  If the one one the your shop's bike is different it would be worth having.  It's yours if you want it.

That YammerHammer carried me for a dozen years on and off road without a single failure.  Great little bike.  With the road sprocket it could hit 65.  With the dirt sprocket it topped out at 45-50 but could almost climb trees.  The YammerHammer was the reason I got the Savage -- I wanted a light bike like the one I rode for so long.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 22:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Micro-thumpers"...worth buying?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.