The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: First ride
Reply #15 - 05/17/05 at 17:02:46

Hmmm whir sounds like the backlash prob.  Embarrassed

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
My Bike "whirr's" somewhat after shutting down with either the kill switch or kick-stand lock-out ... can't remember if it does so or not with the ignition key as I've used it so few times ... left side below the seat is not really an ideal location for shutting off with the key as it requires removing the left hand from the clutch ... and making sure the Bike is in neutral before doing so.
I was in the habit of using the kick stand to shut-off ... that way I wouldn't forget to put it down ... than started using the kill button (as taught a M/C safety Training) ... forgot the stand one time and down the bike went ...
I like the idea of using the key, but as said it's in an awkward location ... will using the kill or sidestand actually cause ignition problems in the long run?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #16 - 05/17/05 at 17:10:28

Let's get the technical terms down 1st.

A fart is not the same as a whir.
The whir is a bad thing, prone to damage the starter gears.

Fart is the small exhaust sound a Savage says sometimes when you shut it off- means "good ridin'!"

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
650 rider:

I hear the same sound. Kind of like a whirling noise. I don't think it happens every time though, or maybe sometimes I tune it out.

cheers

Michael

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/17/05 at 17:26:29

Definitely use the kill switch.  It is taught that way in safety courses for the reason mentioned.

It CANNOT hurt the bike.  If you are then sweeping to the starter button, of course that CAN cause damage afte a while.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 05/17/05 at 20:53:26

I noticed today that mine does it on shutoff also.  There is a mild thunk and a whir when using the shutoff switch.  I hope that something this common isn't as destructive as some think.  It doesn't sound like a grinding or anything... more like something disengaging and spinning down.  It could be a backlash I guess, but I'm hoping either it's not or Suzuki has made mods to lessen the impact it could have.  Hmmmmmmm.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #19 - 05/17/05 at 21:27:00

when piston is going up on compression stroke after shutdown without enough inerita to carry over TDC. the built up comperssion will kick it back down. the over running starter clutch will momentarly give the starter motor a slight backwards thrust,thus short whirl sound. when kick start engines kick backwards, when kicker forgets to retard timing. often will break kickers leg. kickers leg now being the starter. electric start multi-cylinder engines will seldom, if ever display any kick back action.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 05/17/05 at 22:34:07

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 05/18/05 at 00:08:13

The starter making noise on shutdown on a one lunger is common, and perfectly normal. I checked evry street thumper at work, and to some extent, they all do it.

Can it cause damage, yes, will it, likely not.  The sound is very reminiscent of a slightly over-running flathead Ford Bendix starter drive. Takes about 20 years to notice any real damage.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 05/18/05 at 06:24:35

This is definitely not the "chuff" sound.  I'm just wondering why the bendix would catch a backlash.  Shouldn't it be disengaged at this point?  If not, I can certainly see the efficacy of using decompression to stop the original piston kickback.  If this is indeed anything to worry about, I like Greg's idea of incorporating it into the kill switch.  I mean, actuate the decompression solenoid when you kill the bike using the same switch.  More stuff to make me say "hmmmmm...".

Addendum:  I just looked at the microfiche on RonAyers and it looks like the starter is always engaged, which would explain this phenomenon.  I guess I'm just too used to seeing starters with a bendix that is engaged by a solenoid/slug arrangement.  That said, I wonder what Suzuki expected to happen on shutdown.  Or is this just a way to sell replacement parts?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #23 - 05/19/05 at 04:10:02

I just get the "thunk" noise on shut down and i only ever use the key switch. So reading these posts has reasured me...i'm not alone..thanks Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.