Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First ride (Read 9 times)
650-rider

First ride
05/09/05 at 12:39:03

I have gotten my 2002 Savage on the road for the first time, and had a great time!  I am a convert to the Savage - it is exactly what I was looking for in a motorcycle.  And it was nice weather yesterday in Maryland and southern Pennsylvania.

I had a question for everyone though - is it normal to hear a sound while the engine is shutting down?  After I would click the red switch on the handlebar, the engine would make a short rachet-type sound while stopping.  It sounds like it is coming from the starter area maybe.  It just last a second or two.  Has anyone heard that before?

IP Logged
Durandal
Ex Member

Re: First ride
Reply #1 - 05/09/05 at 13:23:30

I know the sound you are talking about.  I hear it too when I shut off the engine, although not every time.  I seem to remember a discussion of it somewhere on this board, but darned if I can find it.  Maybe one of the board gods will chime in when they see this thread.

Whereabouts in MD are you?  I've got friends in Baltimore I see quite frequently.  My first long-distance ride will probably be to Baltimore and back - about 200 miles round-trip.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #2 - 05/09/05 at 18:24:38

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/09/05 at 20:55:41

650 rider:

I hear the same sound. Kind of like a whirling noise. I don't think it happens every time though, or maybe sometimes I tune it out.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/09/05 at 22:55:25

It's pretty easy to accidentally bump the starter button while shutting down via the kill switch. Especially if you just "sweep" with your thumb. Try shutting off via the key. Kill switch is technically an "emergency" kill switch, not an everyday bit.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/10/05 at 06:05:31

I remember reading about the whirring sound in the Stop the backlash thread and I can imagine it so clearly I may have even heard it myself (though I listened for it last night and it wasn't there).  However, from reading that thread, it seems the actual backlash issue would cause a very ugly sound and that the whirring you hear may be fairly common and likely benign.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gbish
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/05 at 08:51:53

I have a question. My 2001 Savage makes a sound as i give the bike a lot of gas.It sounds to me like the speedometer. Any thoughts.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/10/05 at 09:06:59

Are you talking about a vibration/rattle from the speedo area?  If so, that's common.  It can be tightened a bit from the back side with the tank pulled and a shot or two of spray silicone lube between the rubber gasket and the tank will help too.  I've also had a buzzing from the headlight that turned out to be some wiring that wasn't properly secured inside it and a splice connector was vibrating against the housing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #8 - 05/10/05 at 11:58:05

Oh, that sound, you're right.
First, I thought it was the common shut-off backfire.
Now that you mention it, I seldom use the red bar-mounted kill switch now.
Use the key switch mostly now and the backlash thing has gone away. Considering the recent discussion/review of the savage ignition box failure, something comes to mind.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Hmmm... I submit this hypothesis to the SS.com laboratories brain-trust for furthur field testing.

Perhaps w/ the ignition key still on,
using the red kill switch to stop the running motor may help induce or be more prone to the dreaded shut-off-backfire/fart-backlash syndrome by way of the "wasted spark" CDI?? ???

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I remember reading about the whirring sound in the Stop the backlash thread and I can imagine it so clearly I may have even heard it myself (though I listened for it last night and it wasn't there).  However, from reading that thread, it seems the actual backlash issue would cause a very ugly sound and that the whirring you hear may be fairly common and likely benign.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #9 - 05/10/05 at 22:13:04

shut down with side stand will have same effect

IP Logged
650-rider

Reply #10 - 05/11/05 at 07:43:26

Durandal -

I am located in the north of Baltimore, around Towson, but the Savage is located at my Dad's place in southern PA (off route 83).  I keep it there so I can ride in the country until I get more experience with the bike.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/11/05 at 18:17:18

Interesting to read this.  In the MSF class, they told us to use the red kill button all the time, to develop the habit -- this way, if you're in a situation where you need to shut the bike off immediately, you'll do what you're used to doing, and hit the kill switch (which, in that case, would be the correct thing to do anyway).  

So I've been hitting the kill switch and then turning off the key.  

So that does actually damage the bike, then?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/11/05 at 21:51:21

It CAN damage the bike. Normally it is not a problem, just make double sure to not "knock" the starter button.  About 99% of the bikes out there shut off just fine via the kill switch.

I shut mine off via the kill switch most of the time. Without problems.  Although, I do like to smack the throttle and shut off via the key from time to time... Roll Eyes Just something about the "normal people" jumping when they hear a "shotgun" go off in the parking lot...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 05/12/05 at 03:27:02

My Bike "whirr's" somewhat after shutting down with either the kill switch or kick-stand lock-out ... can't remember if it does so or not with the ignition key as I've used it so few times ... left side below the seat is not really an ideal location for shutting off with the key as it requires removing the left hand from the clutch ... and making sure the Bike is in neutral before doing so.
I was in the habit of using the kick stand to shut-off ... that way I wouldn't forget to put it down ... than started using the kill button (as taught a M/C safety Training) ... forgot the stand one time and down the bike went ...
I like the idea of using the key, but as said it's in an awkward location ... will using the kill or sidestand actually cause ignition problems in the long run?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/12/05 at 07:12:56

CAN it? Yes. WILL it? Probably not, it's a CDI system, not one of the old points units. Kind of hard for it to screw up a system with one moving part (the key cylinder).  Wink
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!