Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Clutch Cable
Reply #15 - 05/08/05 at 08:38:39

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Gremlins!  I don't have a Gremlin Bell!

I actually don't mind the Gremlins -- everything breaks eventually, and my Gremlins seem to be considerate enough to break things when and where I am not totally up a creek.  This time it was 800 yards from the house on a non-urgent run.

I don't need a Gremlin Bell, I have a Troll.

FYI Trols are even worse. The only thing that stops them f*&*ng with your bike is to burn/cremate the d%%m b%$#$#ts

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin Grin Grin Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 05/08/05 at 09:23:23

Yeah, I believe I will add clutch, throttle and front brake cables to my road spares kit fairly soon.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #17 - 05/08/05 at 16:43:47

I had the AA man out to me once with a snaped throtle cable. He had a huge kit of sleeves, cable and end conectors of various sizes, I WANT A KIT LIKE THAT... but darn me if i can find one Sad Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 05/08/05 at 19:34:35

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yeah, I believe I will add clutch, throttle and front brake cables to my road spares kit fairly soon.

Looks like ronayers is $18 buck or so - ++ shipping - so batch up some stuff -
but what is a front brake cable used for? -Ishould read brake line i bet - and that's sure not a bad idea for any length of trip

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/09/05 at 07:08:01

I meant rear brake.  Sorry.  The cable used with the front brake just actuates the brake light.  The cables cost slightly less at RonAyers.com than at BikeBandit.com (as is the case with most OEM parts for this bike).  However, I priced the rear brake cable and it's $43.65.  I think I'll just keep the clutch and throttle as spares and should the rear brake cable go, I'll limp along with the front brake (which is primary anyway) until I can get to a dealer and get the rear one replaced.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 05/09/05 at 22:14:27

While you are at it, replace the stock front brake hose with a GOOD braided stainless steel unit. Rubber is for tires, NOT brake systems. You'll definitely notice a difference. I recommend Russel or Goodridge brands.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 05/10/05 at 05:41:54

Plannin' on that but saving it for when I bleed the brakes later this summer.

klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #22 - 05/10/05 at 09:40:10

I use stainless hose front and back, the front hose let me go to a 11mm master cylinder from the std. 12.7.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #23 - 05/31/05 at 23:27:56

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
"... Downshift clutchless to neutral, pull to a stop.  Check it out -- the cable at the lever end is frayed and unattached.  Figure without a clutch it would be rough stopping at traffic lights, so I scoot the bike forward give it a little gas slap it into first, ride home, garage it and take the Beetle to the store.
Well... tonight I went to the grocery store, and was getting ready to head home. Had it in 1st gear with the clutch in, then all of a sudden, it popped into first and stalled out.  My first thought was the clutch cable so I checked that out.  Still in one piece, no fraying, etc.  Something went out in the clutch. So I just shifted into neutral, started it up, and rode home VERY carefully, shifting without the clutch.  Yes, it can be done but definitely not recommended. Just let off the throttle somewhat when you shift. It worked for me.  Going on a business trip and will be back Saturday.  I'll worry 'bout it then!

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:07:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.