Send Topic Print
Clutch Cable (Read 16 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Clutch Cable
05/07/05 at 00:06:26

9pm or so, need to make a run to the supermarket.  Hop on the bike and don't even make it to the first traffic light -- as I'm shifting I grab the clutch and it slams against the grip.

Downshift clutchless to neutral, pull to a stop.  Check it out -- the cable at the lever end is frayed and unattached.  Figure without a clutch it would be rough stopping at traffic lights, so I scoot the bike forward give it a little gas slap it into first, ride home, garage it and take the Beetle to the store.

At least I know why I the clutch developed so much play - the cable was about to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Clutch Cable
Reply #1 - 05/07/05 at 06:05:27

Yep, and you have a '00 model like mine.  Why did it fray and break?  Not long ago, I lubed mine and I didn't see any damage yet.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #2 - 05/07/05 at 06:23:21

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
, garage it and take the Beetle to the store..

Sorry to hear about the cable man. of the subject but what kind of beetle you got. I have a 1969 Tongue all custom. 8)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 05/07/05 at 08:03:57

The Beetles consist of a 1966 with about 380,000 miles that needs to have a lot of work but has it's own web domain.  And....

When the kids got older Wendy went back to work so wwe could afford replacements for our '70's cars.  She got herself a 2003 New Beetle.  And....

When the kids got older we put them in AAA driving school and got a 2004 New Beetle.    (the salesman of the '03 was the salesmanager of the '04)

Back to the bike -- little knobbie thing on the end of the clutch cable came off:

As this is not something I can fix in a minute on the side of the road with no tools so I rode it home.  While I am willing to waddle the bike forward for enough speed to slam it into gear once, it is not something I am willing to do on a three mile round trip with eight passes thru traffic signals.

BikeBandit lists the cable for $18 and change.  Will call the two local stealers later this morning.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/07/05 at 08:09:43

The Beetles consist of a 1966 with about 380,000 miles that needs to have a lot of work but has it's own web domain.  And....

When the kids got older Wendy went back to work so wwe could afford replacements for our '70's cars.  She got herself a 2003 New Beetle.  And....

When the kids got older we put them in AAA driving school and got a 2004 New Beetle.    (the salesman of the '03 was the salesmanager of the '04)

Back to the bike -- little knobbie thing on the end of the clutch cable came off:
http://savage.andruschak.net/Paladin/broken_clutch_cable.jpg
As this is not something I can fix in a minute on the side of the road with no tools so I rode it home.  While I am willing to waddle the bike forward for enough speed to slam it into gear once, it is not something I am willing to do on a three mile round trip with eight passes thru traffic signals.

BikeBandit lists the cable for $18 and change.  Will call the two local stealers later this morning.

Yep.  That's the animal.  Did it pull out of the soldered hole in the end piece, or did it break off?  I actually resoldered the cable back in the hole once a few years ago because it pulled out.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 05/07/05 at 08:17:50

The thing that is supposed to be on the end is probably somewhere on Marine Avenue.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/07/05 at 08:22:55

The thing that is supposed to be on the end is probably somewhere on Marine Avenue.

That cable doesn't look that frayed because the wires aren't bent, and they usually break loose one at a time.  You could always find a small piece of 1/4" rod and braze the cable in a hole...or spend $18 bucks.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 05/07/05 at 09:26:54

It's $25, less than a buck more than bikebandit's shipped price.  Avaialble NOW.  While there is a lot of grief that goes with living in the middle of L.A. it does have shopping advantages.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 05/07/05 at 13:29:47

The knob thing was still in the lever, which I found out when I tried to install the new cable.

Installing the new cable was a snap.  It was disconnected at the lever.  Disconnected at the clutch, tape a pull string to the clutch end, eased back the reusable wrap-tie near the right rear of the tank, pulled out the old cable, taped the clutch end of the new cable to the string, taper-taped the nuts, pulled the new clutch cable in.  Re-tightened the reusable wrap-tie, connect the two ends to the clutch and the lever, done!

WWW   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 05/07/05 at 23:37:15

http://savage.andruschak.net/Paladin/broken_clutch_cable_3.jpg
The knob thing was still in the lever, which I found out when I tried to install the new cable.

Installing the new cable was a snap.  It was disconnected at the lever.  Disconnected at the clutch, tape a pull string to the clutch end, eased back the reusable wrap-tie near the right rear of the tank, pulled out the old cable, taped the clutch end of the new cable to the string, taper-taped the nuts, pulled the new clutch cable in.  Re-tightened the reusable wrap-tie, connect the two ends to the clutch and the lever, done!

I like those easy ones. and so close to home man you lucky 8)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 05/08/05 at 00:19:15

I envy those of us who live in the country where they can take a relaxing spin without the constant paranoia required to remain rubber side down on the mean streets of L.A..  On the other hand, there are advantage to living in the big city -- such as 11 Suzuki dealerships within a 25 mile radius.

WWW   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #11 - 05/08/05 at 00:23:23

True sir but you can always cruze out this way plenty of good roads where you can go for 1hr or more without seeing a cage. just watch out for the Wild life Wink(ME)  and Nature two Shocked 8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/08/05 at 01:29:57

At least it was just the clutch cable. Mine got stuck in second gear when the shift linkage snapped in half. In traffic. On the way to a bike show.

Gotta love those cut-rate parts.  Angry And, for what it's worth, my cable catalogs don't even list the LS. It's a current catalog too. Suzuki is almost as bad as Toyota with dealer only this and that parts... Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 05/08/05 at 06:06:58

http://savage.andruschak.net/Paladin/broken_clutch_cable_3.jpg

Well, that sure is broke.  It didn't pull out of the hole.  Oh well.  I still wonder why it broke.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 05/08/05 at 08:30:05

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Well, that sure is broke.  It didn't pull out of the hole.  Oh well.  I still wonder why it broke.

Gremlins!  I don't have a Gremlin Bell!

I actually don't mind the Gremlins -- everything breaks eventually, and my Gremlins seem to be considerate enough to break things when and where I am not totally up a creek.  This time it was 800 yards from the house on a non-urgent run.

I don't need a Gremlin Bell, I have a Troll.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:58:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.