Send Topic Print
I'm taking a ride (Read 3 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
I'm taking a ride
05/04/05 at 08:54:17

from texas to tennessee this summer. i usually pack light for this particular trip, but i'm riding this year.

what kind of stuff should i be sure to take in addition to the personal items?
i want to be prepared. and while i usually am, i've never been further than austin on the bike and even then i had a riding partner.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: I'm taking a ride
Reply #1 - 05/04/05 at 09:32:21

Depends on the size of your bags. One fellow offered that he cleaned & filled 1 or 2 oil bottles w/ gasoline and carried them as emergency reserve, not a bad idea if you are heading into unknown territory through  Arkansas, in particular on the back roads.
A few large trash bags may come in handy.
Smaller road atlas.
21st century toolkit- cell phone and credit card.  Wink
Small digital camara to send pics to SS.com compadres...  Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #2 - 05/04/05 at 10:15:00

If you are going I-40 you will need something to increase your mileage. Gas in between Ft Smith and Little Rock is few and far between really far between at night. Memphis is a little harry so be careful. I-40 is farely new through Arkansas so the roads are not bad. If you head through Lousana watch the seeping roads they are slick. 8) If you take highway 75 to Henryetta to get on I-40 I can meet you there will do lunch and I can follow you for a while E on I-40 8) I-40 will take you through the Ozarks that area is pretty. Then again we could meet in Talahena OK and drive the Talamena Drive. Awesome Shocked

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 05/04/05 at 10:36:21

how far between? i can do 100 miles no problem.
guess i should stow some fuel away.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #4 - 05/04/05 at 11:05:48

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
how far between? i can do 100 miles no problem.
guess i should stow some fuel away.

About 160 miles. and the only gas in between is closed early if it is a day run you will be slightly pressing your luck.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #5 - 05/04/05 at 11:11:50

OKMike,We're talking about I-40-once-voted-worst-highway-in-America by truckers?
What they had repaired was good, however some old, original stretches dropped every  expansion joint then angled backup in a sawtooth fashion. (used to have to support a dragster in it's center to drive across AR as some have fatigued and broken crossing there). I have not been across I-40 in a year. Lots of repaving going on in LIttle Rock I-30 and the bypass.It always amazed me that I-40 across TX and TN is good w/o income taxes, and AR has a tax and chips your teeth. ??? I-40 splits into I-30 to Dallas so I have not been across 40 from Little Rock to OK in a long time.
AR secondary roads are generaly OK and would prefer them to getting hammered across parts of I-40 if time permitted. I never ride through the W. AR delta after dark in warm weather, as there are many rice paddies and the skeeters will fill your visor and carry you away they can be so thick.  

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #6 - 05/04/05 at 16:51:07

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
OKMike,We're talking about I-40-once-voted-worst-highway-in-America by truckers?
What they had repaired was good, however some old, original stretches dropped every  expansion joint then angled backup in a sawtooth fashion. (used to have to support a dragster in it's center to drive across AR as some have fatigued and broken crossing there). I have not been across I-40 in a year. Lots of repaving going on in LIttle Rock I-30 and the bypass.It always amazed me that I-40 across TX and TN is good w/o income taxes, and AR has a tax and chips your teeth. ??? I-40 splits into I-30 to Dallas so I have not been across 40 from Little Rock to OK in a long time.
AR secondary roads are generaly OK and would prefer them to getting hammered across parts of I-40 if time permitted. I never ride through the W. AR delta after dark in warm weather, as there are many rice paddies and the skeeters will fill your visor and carry you away they can be so thick.  

The last time I went across I-40 (less than a year ago) It was all new highway they have repaived from Little Rock to the AR/OK border the bad part of I-40 is the Oklahoma side. The dumb *Bast*ards* (politicians Angry) in this state would prefer to put our tax and toll money in there pockets and not in Oklahoma's future. They should be castrated Shocked as to not pollute the world. 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 00:17:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm taking a ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.