Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Trials
05/03/05 at 20:41:13

While image surfing a came accross:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/trials/World-Rounds/11frexsat1

My last bike before the Savage was a Honda TLR200 Reflex -- a street legal Trials bike.  I was never anywhere near as good as the worst competitor.  World champion class riders ride over 7 foot tall vertical rock walls:

WWW   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Re: Trials
Reply #1 - 05/04/05 at 07:46:18

Yikes...that just makes my stomach hurt watching!  I am very impressed with those who can do that, though.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 05/04/05 at 07:48:11

i'm impressed too..until they fall..ouch!! then all i think is why?

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 05/04/05 at 09:02:34

The why part is easy.  You have street bikes that stall trying to climb a curb.  You have dual purpose bikes that walk over the telephone poles used to border parking lots.  You have off roaders who ride mule trails.

Then you have those who ride trials.  The do not go fast, but they can ride their bikes over any obstacle -- including seven foot walls.

I started riding dirt in '74 with my DT-175.  In '86 I bought the first TLR200 sold by Gardena Honda, at a discount.  The object was to be able to go places that stymied the Enduro.  The Enduro was actually about 75% street/25% dirt.  The Reflex was 95% dirt with the 5% barely making it street legal.  Forks could twist nearly 90 degrees left/right.  Weight under 200 pounds.

Before I could develop skill with the bike I got married and life sort of interferred with my biking.  Now, at 58, I'm no longer willing (or able) to ride off-road like I used to.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 05/04/05 at 10:21:20

I found that I no longer bounce worth a dang

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 05/04/05 at 12:32:38

Modern trials and indoor trials is the most difficult of all motorcycle disciplines. Let’s face it, given the proper motorcycle, any motorcyclist could get around a racetrack, be it a road course or dirt track. Anybody can get around on a scrambles, or TT course, or motocross track, or a drag strip. An enduro would be tougher, but most would probably  make good progress.  I am not saying anyone can win or even do well, what I mean is you can ride and complete the course and stay alive. I suspect precious few motorcyclists would attempt a single trials section, let alone, score well or clean it. Todays trials riders are truly supermen.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 05/04/05 at 13:54:54

I always considered it to be the ballet of motorcycling.  The part of motorcycling where finesse is a greater requirement than brute power.

Watching a Trials Meet is an educational experience.  You look at the section, say "no way!"  Then you watch someone clean it and you mind numbs as it tries to accept that people can do the impossible.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 15:43:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trials

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.