2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Re: Time to buy?
Reply #15 - 04/29/05 at 17:47:52

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You guys are soooo helpful, especially the pricing.  I'm in a hurry as I need to leave for the day out of town, but just wanted to say thanks for all the help and any more opinions would be welcome.  I'll reply to all your replies when I get back.

I guess my only other thing I can think of is:  what are the drawbacks of an '87 versus a newer model?

Tom

My only real complant about having a 86 is the darn 4 speed. I think this bike is more comfortable with the 5 speed. My opition my preferance. I haven't riddin a 5 speed but an savy enough to tell the gearing is not ideal 8)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 04/29/05 at 18:27:29

Actually, the Savage is just fine with a 4 speed since it produces plenty of torque.  When they brought the Savage back in 95 the only reason they changed the trans to a 5 speed is for marketing.  1st gears, and the 4th on a 4 speed and 5th on a 5 speed are virtually identical.   The gears in between are just an exercise in shifting.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #17 - 04/29/05 at 20:15:05

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Actually, the Savage is just fine with a 4 speed since it produces plenty of torque.  When they brought the Savage back in 95 the only reason they changed the trans to a 5 speed is for marketing.  1st gears, and the 4th on a 4 speed and 5th on a 5 speed are virtually identical.   The gears in between are just an exercise in shifting.  

Lancer your bike is peped up from stock When I got mine a few months ago it was TOTAL stock and the 4 speed lugged with low to mid throttle the gears are a LITTLE to far apart for my taste as I said that is my opition and I am entitled to it. I almost did not buy this bike because of it. On the Plus side of it this bike has a broad torque curve that helps a great deal. I said that the gearing was not ideal  and I don’t think it is. That doesn’t mean that it is horrible. Don’t read too much into it I am just saying I think I would like a 5 speed more, more options and options are good.  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 04/30/05 at 07:33:32

The bike I have been looking at is now in my price range and I need your opinions before I pull the trigger Smiley

It's an '87, not in the best condition, with corrosion on the engine covers.  There may be a spot of rust or so on the front shocks.

I asked the owner if it leaked/burned oil.  He said only after it was hot out some breather tube.  He also said "it doesn't burn oil unless you ride it 75mph and then it gets hot and burns oil, but that is normal".  Come on, that can't be so???

He'll take $700.  Is this just fine, knowing I'll have to put in another $800 or so?

Or is this not fine?  Just realize that I want to restore the thing and repaint.  I do not mind the work.  I do not want to spend more than an additional $800-$900.  I am mechanically inclined, although have never had one of these engines apart.  I can do the painting myself.

I am concerned about any rust on the front shocks.  I know little about shocks.  I don't know if I can repair this, replace parts myself, or if this is strictly for someone with the proper tools.

Am I wasting my time with such an old bike?

Tom

It seems like your price range is really more like $1500 (700 + 800) and if the bike needs that much work and you have doubts, wouldn't be better to buy one that won't require as much work?  It also sounds like $700 might be too high....I think that I'd keep looking.

Just my thought...

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #19 - 04/30/05 at 08:30:50

Hi, I'm back!  Yesterday was a longgggg day, so I thought I'd wait until today to reply.

bobo, should I get the bike, you bet I will post photos!

Mike, the question about how he knows it only happens at high speeds is a very good one.  I can't answer that, but my solution is simple...my extra $ to put into the bike will include at least a top end.  Of course, I also have to ride the bike to check it out.

Slavvy, most of my riding will be at 60-65mph.  That's the info I was looking for regarding the prices.  I will let you know about the forks!

Paladin, helpful as always Smiley

Lancer, Smiley

Regarding Mike talking about his "d**n 4 speed" Cheesy , can someone post the gear ratios for the 4 versus the 5 speed?

Greg, great point re: the $.  Here's the deal.  I race Formula Vee.  My car has been in the shop for close to a year (supposed to come home this next week so I can get it ready for the track), getting new rollbars and a whole bunch of other stuff.  That's where my "fun" $ has been going.  I do some extra "fun" work for my brother to pay for the motorcycle, otherwise I would not be able to buy one for another year.  So:
1) I don't have the $1500 right now
2) I want to tear the bike down and restore
3) I want to refinish each piece, one at a time in my spare of spare time.  Smiley

So I can get the bike now, take my time and get it back to top condition, painted the way I want it, and end up in the end paying $1500+, or I can wait a year, then buy a bike for $1500+, and STILL have to put more $ into it since it will also be used.  

Now here's the key, if I do buy a bike that's in great shape from the get-go, I won't take it apart and I won't end up painting it the color I really want it to be.  For me, there are 3 parts of joy to having a motorcycle:
1) riding,
2) restoring/customizing (I don't mean full-out customizing, I mean making the bike just the way I like it)
3) sharing the whole experience with others.

If one of the parts is missing, it takes away from the whole experience.

I contacted the owner last night and if he contacts me back, I will go to buy Smiley

One more point Greg, after looking at prices for older Savages, it seems to be a fair price, perhaps a tad too much, but since the bike is in my area and that saves me ALOT of time (which = $ to me), that saves me enough $ to bring the cost down to what I think is the correct price.

PS.  My brother (Hi Bro!) likes to buy vehicles in great operating condition, and doesn't enjoy having to do repairs to bring it up to good condition.  I do enjoy that, as I can tell some of you here live for that experience, others of you don't Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 04/30/05 at 13:17:23

Greg, great point re: the $.  Here's the deal.  I race Formula Vee.  My car has been in the shop for close to a year (supposed to come home this next week so I can get it ready for the track), getting new rollbars and a whole bunch of other stuff.  That's where my "fun" $ has been going.  I do some extra "fun" work for my brother to pay for the motorcycle, otherwise I would not be able to buy one for another year.  So:
1) I don't have the $1500 right now
2) I want to tear the bike down and restore
3) I want to refinish each piece, one at a time in my spare of spare time.  Smiley

So I can get the bike now, take my time and get it back to top condition, painted the way I want it, and end up in the end paying $1500+, or I can wait a year, then buy a bike for $1500+, and STILL have to put more $ into it since it will also be used.  

Now here's the key, if I do buy a bike that's in great shape from the get-go, I won't take it apart and I won't end up painting it the color I really want it to be.  For me, there are 3 parts of joy to having a motorcycle:
1) riding,
2) restoring/customizing (I don't mean full-out customizing, I mean making the bike just the way I like it)
3) sharing the whole experience with others.

If one of the parts is missing, it takes away from the whole experience.

I contacted the owner last night and if he contacts me back, I will go to buy Smiley

One more point Greg, after looking at prices for older Savages, it seems to be a fair price, perhaps a tad too much, but since the bike is in my area and that saves me ALOT of time (which = $ to me), that saves me enough $ to bring the cost down to what I think is the correct price.

Tom

Ah, just the Devil's Advocate here.  I understand.  After all, I just came in from 5 hours of wiring on a bike that I have totally disassembled and redone.  Though I bought it new, I'm changing everything with the exception of the tank and color....for example, there are no plugin connectors under my seat anymore.  The only connectors are on the devices themselves....the entire wiring harness has been redone with new wires and cable wrap and all connections are soldered with heat shrink tubing.

I also know that in these forums, I've heard a lot of people having difficulties with a bike that was used and abused.  But then the average rider isn't nearly as mechanically inclined as you, so therefore this may be just the project bike you need.  I was just offering the caution....Go for it.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #21 - 04/30/05 at 13:31:18

TVRacer, this sounds like the perfect bike for you. $700 is a good price IMHO. You gotta get it.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/30/05 at 14:35:35

Hey man that so cool that your buying a savage 8)
I have a 2000 and i love it  Roll EyesGood luck

shawn

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/30/05 at 16:33:27

I bought my 98 brand new. Within a couple months of purchase, I was modifying it. If you love to tinker, a used Savage is a good toy to play with.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #24 - 04/30/05 at 20:11:18

Thanks guys!  We'll see how it goes!  I will report.

Sounds like most everyone here is an equal-opportunity Savage owner, meaning '86, '03, S40, they're all OK!

PS. Greg, a devil's advocate is a good thing in this case Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #25 - 05/11/05 at 19:23:38

Well, I was all excited early this morning as I couldn't wait to take a picture of my "new" bike on my trailer on the way home.

But I was just dreaming, as I went to take a look at the '87 today and it needed wayyyyy too much attention, so I turned it down Sad

Paladin, yep, the one in Gilroy that was for sale for $999 or $995.  The seller said he would take $700.

So if anyone is looking for a fixer-upper that needs almost all the chrome replaced and all the aluminum needs extreme attention, let me know and I'll get the seller's # to you.  Oh, Gilroy is in California, for those who are not in this state.

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #26 - 05/11/05 at 19:47:38

Horridly weathered, looked to be missing the left driver peg, but how did it run?  Would it make a good beater bike?

WWW   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #27 - 05/11/05 at 21:45:44

The kid who's selling it had it on consignment at the Gilroy Cycle Center, but decided to take it off consignment as it wasn't selling at the higher price.  But the bike is being kept there at the shop.

It hadn't been started in some time.  The mechanic at the Gilroy C. C. charged up the battery and it didn't take too long to start up.  Sounded nice, quieter than I thought.  That's all I can say about how it ran.  I didn't ride it (and here I have been looking for one to ride) as I felt badly enough about getting the kid's hopes up without adding a ride to it and THEN telling him no.

Beater bike, I'd say yes.  But if you are serious, we can talk and I can tell you all the things that need to be done.  The belt was fine, the tires were SHOT!

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:37:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Time to buy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.