Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Time to buy? (Read 2 times)
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Time to buy?
04/28/05 at 14:26:53

The bike I have been looking at is now in my price range and I need your opinions before I pull the trigger Smiley

It's an '87, not in the best condition, with corrosion on the engine covers.  There may be a spot of rust or so on the front shocks.

I asked the owner if it leaked/burned oil.  He said only after it was hot out some breather tube.  He also said "it doesn't burn oil unless you ride it 75mph and then it gets hot and burns oil, but that is normal".  Come on, that can't be so???

He'll take $700.  Is this just fine, knowing I'll have to put in another $800 or so?

Or is this not fine?  Just realize that I want to restore the thing and repaint.  I do not mind the work.  I do not want to spend more than an additional $800-$900.  I am mechanically inclined, although have never had one of these engines apart.  I can do the painting myself.

I am concerned about any rust on the front shocks.  I know little about shocks.  I don't know if I can repair this, replace parts myself, or if this is strictly for someone with the proper tools.

Am I wasting my time with such an old bike?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Time to buy?
Reply #1 - 04/28/05 at 17:45:55

That's the one from CycleTrader in Gilroy.  This is where we differ -- I would just take care of the internals and leave the externals ratty.  Have you looked at the Bike?  There's a Savage on eBay in San Francisco, 45 hours to go, $1200 start, no bids.  A 5-speed '97 with <12K miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Lee
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/28/05 at 18:26:46

[ There may be a spot of rust or so on the front shocks.]

Assuming that you're talking about rust on the fork tubes, just be aware that rust pitting will continue to wear away at fork oil seals over time.

Lee

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #3 - 04/28/05 at 18:42:06

Paladin,  I am not in a position at this time $ wise to pay a possible $1200+ on eBay for a bike I won't have seen.  I have not seen the Gilroy bike yet, but would before I was to buy.

It is important to me to have the internals and the externals restored Smiley

Is it better to buy an '87 for $700 or to pay $1200 for a '97?

Lee,  so my question would be, what would need to be done to repair or replace the rusted shock?  Is it just a matter of going to Suzuki or eBay, buying another shock and installing with normal tools?  And what would the cost be?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Lee
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/28/05 at 19:42:44

[Lee,  so my question would be, what would need to be done to repair or replace the rusted shock?  Is it just a matter of going to Suzuki or eBay, buying another shock and installing with normal tools?  And what would the cost be?]

Hey, Tom.  I don't know what the cost would be to replace the tubes themselves, but I just wanted you to be aware of the potential problem with fork pitting, etc. .    If it's minimal, you may be able to get by with some judicious use of rust removal, AKA,  naval jelly, etc. and 0000 steel wool.  But if it's heavy rust or pittting,  replacement of the tubes is the only way to avoid premature wear of the seals.  Fork gaitors are a good idea as well, to avoid future wear and tear on the fork tubes!  I kind of like the old school look of gaitors look, myself.

Lee

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #5 - 04/28/05 at 19:48:36

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The bike I have been looking at is now in my price range and I need your opinions before I pull the trigger Smiley

It's an '87, not in the best condition, with corrosion on the engine covers.  There may be a spot of rust or so on the front shocks.

I asked the owner if it leaked/burned oil.  He said only after it was hot out some breather tube.  He also said "it doesn't burn oil unless you ride it 75mph and then it gets hot and burns oil, but that is normal".  Come on, that can't be so???

He'll take $700.  Is this just fine, knowing I'll have to put in another $800 or so?

Or is this not fine?  Just realize that I want to restore the thing and repaint.  I do not mind the work.  I do not want to spend more than an additional $800-$900.  I am mechanically inclined, although have never had one of these engines apart.  I can do the painting myself.

I am concerned about any rust on the front shocks.  I know little about shocks.  I don't know if I can repair this, replace parts myself, or if this is strictly for someone with the proper tools.

Am I wasting my time with such an old bike?

Tom

How many miles on the bike? 8)

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #6 - 04/28/05 at 20:39:37

People ask me this all the time, and it comes down to this:  Do you like to wrench on stuff?

If you like to wrench on things and work on the bike yourself, it's worth $700.  I would buy it as I am in this category.

If you are going to take it to a shop to have it fixed, you'll be better off passing on it.  You will easily shell out more money than if you bought a decent on to start with.  My neighbors are in this category.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #7 - 04/28/05 at 22:27:25

Lee, thanks, very good info!

Mike, 11,000 miles.

bobo, yes I like to wrench on stuff.  I like to take poorly maintained stuff and create something nice out of it.  But sometimes, the parts alone cost more than it's worth.  That's why I am trying to get an idea of some of the things I may encounter, like:

1) cost to replace front shocks
2) parts cost for top end.

Are any of you concerned about the burning of oil the owner claims only occurs at higher speeds?

Are any of you concerned about the fact it is an '87?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 04/29/05 at 04:38:33

I would buy it and watch eBay for the parts to come up cheap.  I would not buy new for an 87.  

You could get other forks and front end from a totally different bike, like Londonthing has done.

I'm with you on buying old stuff that needs work.  That's my main source of enjoyment in life.

HEY - can you take pictures and post 'em?

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 04/29/05 at 04:51:46

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Lee, thanks, very good info!

Mike, 11,000 miles.

bobo, yes I like to wrench on stuff.  I like to take poorly maintained stuff and create something nice out of it.  But sometimes, the parts alone cost more than it's worth.  That's why I am trying to get an idea of some of the things I may encounter, like:

1) cost to replace front shocks
2) parts cost for top end.

Are any of you concerned about the burning of oil the owner claims only occurs at higher speeds?

Are any of you concerned about the fact it is an '87?

Tom

My bike is a 86 and I haven't had it that long so I have no problems buying older stuff in decent shape

on the burning oil thing is it visible at the clamed high speeds? I am just wondering how he knows it only happens at high speeds.

ps mine doesn't burn oil at 70-75-or 80 miles an hour sustained 8)

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Measured the fork for ya
Reply #10 - 04/29/05 at 05:26:15

The top tube of the fork where it goes into the triple clamp on my 98 Savage -- 38mm I think.

I measured 1.492" with my dial calipers, which is 37.9mm by my Palm's conversion program.  That should correspond to 38mm fork size.  

NOT the same as any other bke in my garage, but a quick ebay search gave me tons of cheap options - mostly dirt bike forks, but also Ducati, marzocchi, etc.....

Ditto on the age - I would not worry about the age of the bike as long as it runs and drives, provided you like to work on stuff.

I'm considering a $5000 1979 LowRider Shovelhead I found yesterday - runs, but needs cosmetic attention..  

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 04/29/05 at 08:48:36

About the oil consumption- yes it is truth. But if You need a bike to ride constantly with over 70mph- the Savage is not Your bike. 11000 miles are nor a reason to rebuild the top end. If You see the brearher tube routed out, not plugged in the air box- this is not good, but again You will decide is it worthed to rebuild.
If it is me- I'd buy the bike, if everything is working will just ride it and fix the things "on the go". When the winter comes I'd start doing the bigger stuff.
To rebuild the top end- piston kit /about $100/ , cam chain if it rattles /about $70/, 2 valve guide seals /between $2 and $ 7 /piece /, rubber cap /about $10 with the new prices/, clutch cover gasket /$13 /, head gasket/ i don't know the price, because I always reuse mine/. You will determine do You need an oversize piston with a bore job, or just change the existing one with "normal size".
 About the front forks- depending on the place of the rust it might or might be not a problem. If the rust is above the travel of the aluminum tubes- don't worry.
 If the rust is where the seals go You will probably have a leak. Good used forks are about $150 on eBay.
If You buy the bike and You can not find forks, I have a pair of forks with new seals and oil, sitting and waiting for me to get in trouble.
 There are couple of other things- Is the bike running now and how often the owner is riding it?
 - what is the overall appearance?- the resale price is determined mostly by the outside
- What is the condition of the inside of the gas tank?- this might be an issue in a long run.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #12 - 04/29/05 at 09:39:52

You guys are soooo helpful, especially the pricing.  I'm in a hurry as I need to leave for the day out of town, but just wanted to say thanks for all the help and any more opinions would be welcome.  I'll reply to all your replies when I get back.

I guess my only other thing I can think of is:  what are the drawbacks of an '87 versus a newer model?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 04/29/05 at 12:02:07

Check this message.

Your main drawbacks on the '87 versus a '97 would be not having to meet '97 smog requirements, a richer stock carb, a louder more open stock exhaust....  these are drawbacks, right?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 04/29/05 at 16:34:16

Slavy, I'm sorry man, but I cannot disagree more about the Savage not being the bike to ride if you want to go more than 70 mph.  As long as the bike is functioning properly there is  no reason at all that it should not function at highway speeds plus.  If it is bone stock then you will no doubt be limited to about 80-85, but if just a little has been done, like K&N filter/rejet/muffler, then it will cruise at 75-80 quite easily.  Mine does.  And since I had a few other things done it will cruise at 85+ easily.   A 650 is not a LITTLE motorcycle.  Keep in mind that the HUGE motors of today have not been around all that long.
Anyway, don't sell the Savage short...it is a good motorcycle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:06:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Time to buy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.