Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Delete gas tank stickers (Read 11 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

Delete gas tank stickers
04/18/05 at 09:42:00

Finally got around to deleating those pesky gas tank stickers under the clear. The process wasn't that bad at all. I used the girlfriends hairdryer and a  few of those plastic, disposable spoons. Took about an hour to do both sides. looks sooooo much better. I was thinking of sanding down the tiny ridge of clearcoat with some 600 grit and the trying to cover the spot with some rattle can clear. Does anyone know if a rattlecan clear will be o.k. for the factory paint & clear?

thanks

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Delete gas tank stickers
Reply #1 - 04/18/05 at 10:11:55

i did the same thing and was not satisfied with the results, but, i'm not that good at that type of work.

with the purple color of mine the line is barely noticacble.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/05 at 11:24:32

You were not satisfied with the removal of the sitckers or the re-clearcoating of the tank? If you tell me that doing a rattlecan clearcoat is defianately going to look like sh*t, then I wont do it. I can easily live with the small white line.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/18/05 at 11:28:11

I didn't use sandpaper or rubbing compound to feather the edges of mine but I added new decals and then rattlecan clearcoat and I think it came out okay.  You can still see the lines from the old decals but less than before and there is a slight orange peel to the clearcoat but it's not bad.  I may do another couple of coats then rub it down.  However, right now I'm more concerned with the bolt broken off in the cylinder head so the tank will have to wait.

I believe I used Dupli-Color clearcoat and was pleased with the performance of the nozzle - far more so than I thought I would be.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 04/18/05 at 11:40:44

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You were not satisfied with the removal of the sitckers or the re-clearcoating of the tank? If you tell me that doing a rattlecan clearcoat is defianately going to look like sh*t, then I wont do it. I can easily live with the small white line.  Grin

i loved the removal, i was not satisified with my clear coat work. i'm sure with more practice i could do better.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/05 at 16:00:35

I think I am going to try and do it while it is still on the bike. I will most likely try that dupli-color. Thanks for the advise guys.

IP Logged
Derek
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/05 at 17:14:24

Perhaps I can make a suggestion about getting rid of sticker line edges.
While I was playing with my CDI (refer to subject: Derek doesn't have an ignition problem anymore) I repainted my fuel tank. I did not remove the Suzuki stickers on both sides of the tank. Instead I taped them up but with 3/4" overlapped greater piece of tape after a thorough sanding down to 1500 grit. Then, after each successive coat I retaped, but moved the tape 1/8" smaller (toward the sticker). So, 2 coats primer, 3 coats flat black later, the tape was right at the outer edge of the sticker. Then a fine sanding of the original clear koting on the sticker, then clear koted the whole tank twice. With each successive coat I taper the edge of the edge around the stickers. Now, the tank looks like new and the edges around the side stickers are not noticable and I did not have to buy new stickers. It blended very well. The point of this is that you can taper sand the edges of your removed decals before your coats of clear are applied. I'm sure it will work...if you can decipher the jist of this description. Good luck.
Derek

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 04/18/05 at 17:31:16

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I think I am going to try and do it while it is still on the bike. I will most likely try that dupli-color. Thanks for the advise guys.

you need to remove the fuel from the tank before using he hair dryer. if not the fuel inside doesnt allow the tank to get warm enough to remove sticker.   i tried it with fuel in tank and that was the result. it was not till i removed fuel did it work.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/05 at 17:59:37

I wish I still worked in Dallas.  We had an enclosed parkerizing machine.  Glass bead blaster.  You could smooth anything out.  You could bring that tank to bare metal in about 5 minutes.  I used to do parts on my little Ranger pickup when they got rusty.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/18/05 at 18:29:43

Dupli-color clear isn't fuel safe...neither are Krylon or Rustoleum.

Wet sand the old clearcoat edges down to 1500 grit. They should disappear, but, where the paint was covered by the sticker, you're likely to have a different paint color than the rest of the tank. Paint on the 95-99s isn't very UV-stable. At least the solid colors aren't.

My orange 98 was yellow-orange-pinkish within 2 months of purchase, brand new off the showroom floor. So I repainted the whole thing.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/19/05 at 06:39:44

The black on mine was the same color underneath.  It's just the hairline edge of the original clearcoat that is barely visible.

WD, any suggestions on a rattlecan clearcoat that is fuel resistant?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/19/05 at 08:33:44

actually I already took the sticker off. I just need to take care of the clearcoat ridge. If 1500 grit will do it, then fu*k it. I wont bother with the rattle can.  Grin Mine is an 01, so hopefully the black paint wont fade too bad.
thanks for all the tips.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/19/05 at 17:20:47

So what kind of sticker are you guys talking about?  My 05 had some safety sticker dead center under the speedo but it was applied over the clearcoat and came off fairly easy with the hairdryer method....no edge at all.  I'm guessing it's some other kind of sticker?

Took a while, but every sticker on the tank, frame, chrome has been removed.  Why do they junk the bikes up like that?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 04/19/05 at 18:25:14

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
So what kind of sticker are you guys talking about?  My 05 had some safety sticker dead center under the speedo but it was applied over the clearcoat and came off fairly easy with the hairdryer method....no edge at all.  I'm guessing it's some other kind of sticker?

Took a while, but every sticker on the tank, frame, chrome has been removed.  Why do they junk the bikes up like that?

we be talking about the  savage logo sticker on the sides of the fuel tank, under the clearcoat.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/19/05 at 21:05:42

Fuel safe bomb can paint? Regardless of what it says onthe can, there is no such thing. Even wheel paint can wrinkle, blister, melt off or "streak out" if gas gets on it and isn't cleaned off right away. It's the alcohol in modern fuels that truly  kills the paint, not just the gas itself.

I like bomb cans because it is cheap to repaint the bike if it gets dingey or i get bored with the look. If you want the paint to last, go to an automotive paint store and ask for a "project pack". That is real car paint, pre-mixed, ready to spray. Usually in a bomb can that they fill in front of you. You'll have MAYBE 12 hours before it becomes unsprayable.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 11:31:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Delete gas tank stickers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!