Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery charging question (Read 5 times)
650-rider

Battery charging question
04/19/05 at 08:20:32

I recently bought a 2002 with low mileage, and I need to charge the battery.  I bought a charger from a motorcycle store.  The charger comes with the regular alligator clips as one option, and it also has cables that connect permanently to the battery.  This uses a sort of quick-connect and I guess you leave the cable inside of the bike’s side covers.  I have not had it apart yet.

But there’s one thing I don’t understand.  I have the Suzuki service manual, and it says that you should never charge the battery while it in the bike.  But I wanted to trickle charge the battery all of the time since I only ride only or two days per week.  The charger says it is specifically made for this use.

So my questions are 1) will it hurt the electrical components of the bike if I charge the battery in place, and 2)  is it OK to trickle charge all of the time?

If I have to take the battery out of the bike every time I need to charge it that will be a hassle.  I have already found out that the battery has to be “up” in order to crank the engine.  A marginal battery does not seem to be adequate for this engine.

Does anyone have any advice?

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Re: Battery charging question
Reply #1 - 04/19/05 at 08:33:10

I have a 2003 savage and got a Battery Tender for a gift this Christmas. Hubby installed it and I have been very pleased. Can only ride when health permits and have to have the battery up when I am. If that is the type you are talking about, I haven't had any problems with it. Plan to buy one for other bikes when I catch them on sale.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 04/19/05 at 10:02:00

You should be fine charging the battery while on the bike. I've been using a trickle charger on my '02 for over a year with no problems. All I did was install a pigtail on the positive lead of the battery and used a 1/2 amp 12 volt power supply that came from Radio Shack. I'm guessing that Suzuki doesn't want the battery charged on the bike in case it blows up. That can happen if you try to overcharge the battery using a high amperage charger. Keep the amps low with a long charge time and you will be fine. There is a formula to determine the proper charge rate for a battery but I've forgotten it,  Angrymaybe someone out there knows it.  Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
650-rider

Reply #3 - 04/19/05 at 10:02:47

Thanks for your response - I have the Battery Tender as well.  Do you leave it connected to the battery most or all of the time?  Thanks.

IP Logged
Russ

What's wrong with your batteries????!!
Reply #4 - 04/19/05 at 13:04:48

I have a 96 i bought used and the previous owner put in a new battery for me.  It sat from Nov. to March about 4 months without starting it and the battery in the bike.  I went out and fired it up no problem.  Why are your batteries draining so quickly???  I'd think a battery should hold a charge for a week.  If not I'd spend the money on a new battery and not a trickle charger.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 04/19/05 at 15:04:08

I have a trickle charger that I use over the winter -- Battery Tender Junior. During the riding season I don't use it.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/19/05 at 16:32:47

Yeah, the only time I've used mine was when I turned the key the wrong way and left the taillight on overnight.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 04/19/05 at 19:23:36

"A marginal battery does not seem to be adequate for this engine", Cranking the big single draws a lot of juice out of the battery. If you need to put a charge in the battery before you start the engine your battery is getting weak. A trickle charger will help maintain the charge in the battery during storage but if the battery will not hold a charge then it is time to think about a replacement. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/19/05 at 21:18:15

Trickle charger won't hurt it. I've jumped off mine a couple times with an 825 amp truck battery with no problems. I had a Savage battery last 5 years...with winter trickle charge and weekly riding in warm weather.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #9 - 04/20/05 at 22:54:54

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yeah, the only time I've used mine was when I turned the key the wrong way and left the taillight on overnight.

Been there, done that. Had a dead battery to prove it!  I've got the Battery Tender Plus and have no problems with the charger or the battery. I leave the battery on the bike and use the quick-disconnect.

rmgray2001   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 04/20/05 at 23:13:40

Don't forget that a big part of the manuals are written with a concern for lawsuits and warranties/ otherwise nobody will remind You that the gas is flammable/.  Suzuki is just covering all the bases to make sure to lower down the risk of any kind of misshaps.
Don't worry. The best thing You can do is to attach a nice fat wire to the "+" terminal and use it for charging or for jump.  When not in use- just cover the end with wire nut.  For ground You can use any metal part of the bike /the best is the cylinder/. All the automotive chargers have 1 or 2 amp setting and 90% of the chargers are automatic, so You will not overcharge the battery.
The only down side of charging the battery on the bike that I can think of  is that the corosive fumes will be around the bike.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/20/05 at 23:50:22

Slavy, the worst part of charging the battery in the bike is the fact that you can't pop the cell caps off the way you are supposed to while charging any lead-acid battery. Of course, if the caps are good and the vent hose isn't crimped, there shouldn't be a problem. The fumes will just go out the vent tube like they are supposed to. Oh, wait, it's a Suzuki... Grin Just kidding, I used a battery tender on a GS750T for 3 years off and on without problems. And the GS battery is located even more poorly than the LS battery.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery charging question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!