Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shifting (Read 7 times)
shawn_b
Ex Member

shifting
04/16/05 at 20:34:00

anybody ever have trouble shifting from 2 to 3  Embarrassed I have  in sucks cuz i always happen at worst time  ???
please help

shawn

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: shifting
Reply #1 - 04/16/05 at 20:42:40

Shifting trouble with a Savage is usually due to slack in the clutch cable. Adjust the cable, at the clutch end and at the hand lever end. Consider repostioning the shifter lever so your foot can work it more esaily. You adjust the lever by loosening a pinch bolt under the front pulley cover. Slide the rod end/heim joint off the shifter stub, raise or lower the foot lever as needed, and reinstall the joint on the stub shaft. Reapeat until you can comfortably shift through all the gears. When that point is reached, take a scratch awl (or nail) and scribe the stub end and joint body. That way, if you have to pull the shifter again, you can get it back properly the first time. FWIW, the shifter linkage can snap if you are having shifting problems. The linkage on mine was pot-metal.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/17/05 at 07:45:22

Why just 2nd to 3rd?  Is it a matter of ergonomics, practice, or mechanics?

Oh WD, don't forget that the shifter lever also involves a tunbuckle type linkage that is adjustable with a 10 MM wrench...one end is left hand thread and one is right hand.  That will change the toe position without removing the arm from the shifter shaft

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 04/17/05 at 07:56:35

Yesterday I noticed that my clutch lever has a few degrees of slop before it starts to pull anything.  On which end are the adjusters?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/17/05 at 08:07:50

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yesterday I noticed that my clutch lever has a few degrees of slop before it starts to pull anything.  On which end are the adjusters?

You have one on each end.  Run the clutch lever adjuster all the way in and make it real sloppy (see note*), then go to the actuator arm on the gear case and make a rough adjustment by running the 2 nuts down the threaded cable tube.  Jam them together with 2-12 MM wrenches.  Only take out most of the slack at the lever adjuster in doing this.  Then go back the lever and make your final adjustment.  From now on you can make all your adjustments while sitting on the bike without wrenches.

*note - this is a good time to line up the slots in the adjuster, pull out the cable end from the lever, hold it vertical, and squirt some lube in there, too  Cheesy

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/05 at 08:13:39

will todat i went for a ride and the thing never did it the hole time i was rideing it  ??? i think i am not pushing it up hard enough mabe i dont know but i ok for now
thanks for all your help

shawn

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/18/05 at 02:31:33

Adjust the shifter up so your boot toe fits under it. Instead of shifting with the side of your foot. Works much more smoothly.

Greg, I forgot about the turnbuckle things, of course, I only have one, had to replace the linkage, welded the reverse thread side solid. Couldn't find my backwards thread die. FWIW, a Nissan battery j-bolt shank makes a perfect linkage replacement, cut to the size of the cheapo factory piece, screw in the threaded end, weld in the other end. So nice of Suzuki to set it up so the j-bolt shank slides right in to the heim joint.  Wink
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 06:17:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!