Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wheelie (Read 20 times)
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Wheelie
04/09/05 at 23:37:27

Was lying in bed last nite thinking of my ZXR750, when the idea of trying to wheelie the savage wouldnt leave me... ANYONE ever tried it? I saw a guy wheelie a Fat Boy on TV with sand bags on the back Wink, the savage cant be too hard to... can it??

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Wheelie
Reply #1 - 04/09/05 at 23:47:40

LondonThing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Was lying in bed last nite thinking of my ZXR750, when the idea of trying to wheelie the savage wouldnt leave me... ANYONE ever tried it? I saw a guy wheelie a Fat Boy on TV with sand bags on the back Wink, the savage cant be too hard to... can it??

i've done it, and it wasn't pretty.  i was doing some burn outs in some loose sand, it hooked up front end popped up i let it go and away it went screaming down the road on one wheel dragging the rear fender. the rolled over two time.  bent handle bars, crushed front headlight, broke off left front peg, bent right front peg. i had already removed the signals so those didn't get hurt. .

it's called a HIGH HO SILVER AWAY incident, and i don't recomend it for anyone.   Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #2 - 04/09/05 at 23:52:03

darn, would have been incredibly impressive to see, but sorry for the damage... hope u dodnt get too hurt.. *pride only?* I probably will have to give wheelieing my savage a go when done, but i think ill try a bit of a rolling start, I mean, these things should be punch enough to give a go in second??? Hummmm Smiley

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 04/10/05 at 00:03:07

LondonThing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
darn, would have been incredibly impressive to see, but sorry for the damage... hope u dodnt get too hurt.. *pride only?* I probably will have to give wheelieing my savage a go when done, but i think ill try a bit of a rolling start, I mean, these things should be punch enough to give a go in second??? Hummmm Smiley

i did it at about 1700 miles, right after break in.
i had already decided to chop it so it didn't really hurt much, now the right peg i replaced with a hardend steel bolt did a job on that 130lb black lab i  hit right before christmas. and then of course down again.

bangup the knee in the wheelie, banged up right foot pretty bad when the brake lever folded over on top of it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/10/05 at 00:52:36

I wheelied mine within 5 minutes of getting the keys. Grabbed a handful of throttle, popped the clutch, and it came up, and fast! When it came back down, it blew out both fork tube seals, I suppose I should fix those one of these years... My dealer said treat it from the get go like you'll do the rest of the time you have it.  Roll Eyes He was standing there with his eyes popping out of his head, seeing as I did it in his parking lot. In front of a bunch of customers. He sold the other 6 new and used Savages by close of business that afternoon.  Grin

I don't recommend popping a wheelie, the bike isn't made for it. Once or twice, small ones, at most.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #5 - 04/10/05 at 01:41:43

I dont belive the forks will be a problem for me on my little Savage.

Any other reason why it would be a bad idea? Oil movement??

Cheers Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/10/05 at 01:49:39

The frame welds are a joke compared to a sportbike. But mine have held up fine. Yeah, I'd say your forks are more than adequate. Heavy as those are, you'll have a difficult time getting the front end up. Can't wait to see that one done, and in pics doing the Ace Cafe Show/Ride.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #7 - 04/10/05 at 01:52:50

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The frame welds are a joke compared to a sportbike. But mine have held up fine. Yeah, I'd say your forks are more than adequate. Heavy as those are, you'll have a difficult time getting the front end up. Can't wait to see that one done, and in pics doing the Ace Cafe Show/Ride.
-WD

Thanks, but what do you mean by the Ace Cafe Show/Ride?? Interesting, i only live 25 mins away from the Ace Cafe  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/10/05 at 01:56:43

The Ace still sponsors bike shows...see it in major bike publications over here all the time. They've even made the sleazy-greaseball biker rag, The Horse Backstreet Choppers. Some club over there apparently does a poker run or two each year as well, starting and ending at the Ace cafe. Last time my folks went to london, they went to the bike show at the Ace, and one at a London area HD shop.

FYI, you Londoners and the Ace Cafe are the reason for "cafe racer" bikes. Going from the Ace, to a truckers inn, and back, at top speeds.  8)
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #9 - 04/10/05 at 02:05:11

Actually i heared they used to do it in within the time of a record they played or somthing??? or is that just a myth? Well Iv been there twice, not when any real big events were happening, See i do Swing dance (Lindy Hop) and they had a dance thing happening, so it wasnt bike related when i turned up, Was OK, but my dad went there back in the day, and he says its very different, very commercial and the building is a copy of the original that was there.... Sad but true Sad. I may pop down there when its done and see what all the others thing Smiley

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 04/10/05 at 15:57:57

I heard that you had to down a quick drink before the return ride to the Cafe. Cheesy.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
a56kuser
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/14/05 at 21:05:53

i got wheeling pretty much down on my sportsbike (yeah im young and stupid and i have a savage on the side lol) if you already know how to wheelie then it shouldnt be too rough on the bike since you are able to set it down softly...but by no means am i doing them mile long wheelies on the savage....... just a lil pop here and there for giggles.   this is defintly not a bike to "practice" on.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #12 - 04/15/05 at 14:33:47

Shhhhh just like me, savage and my ZXR7... Still makes me soil myself just a little whenever i pop one, but will let you all know how the savage wheelie goes, or not as the case may be...

Why have one cylinder when you can have four? (only kidding guys Wink )

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/15/05 at 14:51:59

You have 5...no fair  Tongue

IP Logged