Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windscreens, head buffeting and such (Read 5 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Windscreens, head buffeting and such
03/31/05 at 22:41:49

This was my first full month  (except for a couple days) of savage cOmute. The round trip is right on 80 miles and runs some where between 1 and 1.5 hours each way. I think I've found the last (for now) oil leak but that will be another post - very interesting - anyway - this 1995 savage that followed me home in feb has a Memphis Shades wind screen and above 50 for sure above 60 mph, even just for 10 minutes, makes my neck sore from the helment buffeting. Well, I was standing around the other day talking to a bud that rides an at least 30 year old "full dress" HD he calls it, and I said something about this wind buffeting at 60+ and he looked at the savage and looked at me and looked at the savage and says well your just a dumba$$. Well I've known this guy for at least 20 years and we've been all over the southern parts fishing together - in Costa Rica after sailfish with flyrods at least ten times, he flys ultralights and I've wrenched the d@mn 2-stroke rotax that keeps him the air- what you mean a dumba$$? Well, he says, you see all the adjustments on the mounts? You can either use them to look cool by getting the windscreen close to the head light and raked back like yours or you use them to tune the windscreen and send the airstream over your head instead of into it, if you would push the windscreen up and tilt forward at bit it will toss the air above your helment - got it? Well, I spent several hours today doing the windscreen tune'n - I'm shocked - the first couple of trys - not much different - but then ......... its about an inch or so above the headlight, pushed forward about even with the glass, and tilted a bit forward - it's gone - I mean none - helment buffet at all - or just very slight - at 70!      

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Windscreens, head buffeting and such
Reply #1 - 04/01/05 at 04:41:07

That's good to know.  I got zero wind problems with my sportbike, but alot with the Savage.  I'll have to try the windscreen.  Thanks.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 04/01/05 at 04:49:53

with the exception of max's bagger, most of the windscreens i've seen mounted have ended up being appearance mods rather than performance mods.

it does take some time and basic aerodynamic knowledge to set it up properly.  

maybe someone would like to work something up for  the technical section.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/01/05 at 10:41:44

Mine seems to work pretty well the way it is but it may be worth tinkering with at some point.  However, I'm thinking of switching mine out to the flyscreen for the summer.  I will say that I have noticed a definite improvement in head buffeting and neck stress since I got my Scorpion Exo helmet.  I was wearing an HJC AC-3 (3/4 helmet) with a full face shield on it and never thought there'd be any noticeable difference but I can feel the change.  Adjusting the windshield could possibly eliminate any difference and make it a moot point though, I guess.

The only thing I don't like about the full-face helmet so far is that I now have to tip my head forward slightly to see the speedo.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/01/05 at 13:41:39

Thanks for the tip, I'll try adjusting the National Cycle windscreen on my '02 to cutdown on the buffeting. This means I'll need to go out, drive around for a while, adjust the windscreen and do it all over again till I like it. Grin. My life just got good, have a reason to ride. Yippie
Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slopoke
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/05 at 14:08:04

How about the short Savage windscreen???  Can that one be adjusted, too???  I'll have to look at mine more closely because I have noticed  the wind and just thought it was to be expected.

Thanks for the tip.

IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/05 at 14:26:43

The bike is not a Savage, but the principle is the same:

http://www.surfmaine.com/rebel/windscreens.html

IP Logged
dssaak
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/05 at 17:00:05

Hey, dadorfman, your line up looks like mine

'02 Savage
'86 Rebel 250
'87 Rebel 450
'03 Savage (the wife has to have at least one)

dk

IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/05 at 18:40:32

Great minds think alike.

IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/05 at 04:25:18

Hubby adjusted my windshield by using a carpenter's level. Set me on my Savage in my riding position and adjusted windscreen so the top of it was level with the middle of my nose and set it at the same angle as the front forks. NO wind buffeting at all. It's just how we did it.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 04/02/05 at 06:53:15

Patty wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hubby adjusted my windshield by using a carpenter's level. Set me on my Savage in my riding position and adjusted windscreen so the top of it was level with the middle of my nose and set it at the same angle as the front forks. NO wind buffeting at all. It's just how we did it.

I have a Memphis Shades windshield and what your hubby did is exactly what Memphis Shades tells you to do!  Cheesy It is how I set mine and it works great.

What is this wind buffeting of which they speak?  Grin  Wink

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/02/05 at 19:28:46

Hmm, I'll just stick with "windshields are evil".  Grin Well, I don't like them, but my wife hates to ride without one.

I like the level at the middle of the nose trick. Last bike I rode with a shield, the top was at the top of my helmet. Horrible, and I hated to cut down a Vetter fairing windshield. A rock split it, thought I could get away without one. But, my father in law had other ideas. I think I sold the bike a month after the new shield was put on. I really liked that bike too...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windscreens, head buffeting and such

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!