Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air mixture screw question (Read 15 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: air mixture screw question
Reply #15 - 04/02/05 at 01:02:24

Raask seams to be best, and looks good too.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #16 - 04/02/05 at 04:48:35

No problem with any of the exhausts mentioned here.  I put a sportster muff on mine cause it was CHEAP, and my original pipe was ungly/discolored when I got the bike.

After putting the sportster muff on, I noticed the chrome is outstanding, the sound is decent, and the bike's power was improved.  Still need to move it further back to keep from blackening the rear brake arm.

Screaming Eagles sound soooooo good but the stock carb can't keep up with it.  Stock Sportster carbs barely keep up even with massive jetting changes.  My neighbor has Screamers on his sporty, and I've had to help him with the jetting, that's how I know.  In return for my help he let me borrow an SE to check it out on the Sav.  I need to get another carb and start playing.

SUPERTRAPP - One was on my XR500 when I got it, not a Savage but still a thumper.  That's a good exhaust.  Having a hard time parting with the money to get another (another Screaming Eagle problem).

Anybody try a dynomax glass pack, or any other car muff?  Dynomax is  $19 in the Jeg's catalog.  May have to get one just to try.  It would be different.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 04/02/05 at 07:00:41

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Because the aftermarket Savage spec mufflers are also junk?

Nope.

Quote:
I've seen and heard the Supertrapp, nice looking, tunable, seems to have a problem with the guts falling out though.

Nope.  Never heard that and we have one that's been running for almost 4 years.  The disks have been removed, added to, and reinstalled.  Guts don't fall out for no reason.

Quote:
JC Whitless and such? Tried it, they're junk. MAC? No experience with, ditto the Raask, but both seem okay per Max in Moses Lake.

Not entirely accurate....The Raask is good per Greg in Portland.  BTW.

Quote:
The piglet muffler is inexpensive, lasts a disproportionately long time, holds its chrome well, sounds good, and flows like mad. There are two sizes, for an otherwise stock bike, get the small center hole, for a modofied carb, get the large center hole, also known as a Screaming Eagle upgrade. Still fairly inexpensive, flows too much for stock Mikuni B40 jetting.

Simple economics (wretchonomics?).
-WD

That is all it is...a matter of money.  You get what you pay for.  If you don't want to spend the money for the correct fit, then you end up starting other topics about how to seal the pipe with muffler tape and how it smells when it burns off.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #18 - 04/02/05 at 12:40:02

Sooner or latter everything comes to money. Otherwise nobody will have to work and everybody will have a bike to match each suit. Not too long ago we ere discussing the  double price of the same exhaust if You buy it from the dealer, compared with some car catalog. Here the things are comming to the same - what You want to get and how much do You want to pay for it and how much time and effords are You ready to invest instead of money.
So far I like the best the Screaming Eagle HD pipe. It works very good with the stock carburetor after rejetting and You don't have to spend hundreds of $$. The Sporty pipe works just fine and is an excellent deal for the price. I don't have any adapters, just a mounting plate, but even if You have to put an adapter  it is still worthed the time. And if You have the time You can order the stock gasket , like Yoou have to order it if You buy the original exhaust.
So far I can say that a gutted stock pipe sounds the worst and after that is the stock 95 and latter  pipe in an original condition. About the performance I haven't found anything worse than the original Suzuki pipe.
This is my oppinion of cource. Everybody has one.....

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 04/02/05 at 12:52:32

Not saying that a Harley pipe can't work correctly on a Savage...however, I read a lot of posts about people having difficulty installing or adapting one to the bike.  So maybe they are buying the wrong one, or don't know how to install it.

The rest was my counter-point concerning the SuperTrapp and the Raask, which definitely lie on the high end of the price spectrum.  And equally so, I've had absolutely no problems with their fit or performance just the way they came out of the box.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #20 - 04/02/05 at 13:57:18

No argument about the Trap or Raask. I never tried them, but I am sure what is designed for LS will work the best and fit the easiest.
   The Sporty exhaust fits right on- it has the same diameter like LS pipe. The only thing that You have to do is to make a L-shaped plate with couple of holes - bolts to the original mounting bracket and the exhaust mounts to the plate. The problem that people were complaining about is - the original pipe is longer and has a slight bend outwards. Th HD pipe is shorter and doesn't have any bend, so it is before the  RR hub and the smokes the RR brake adjuster. This why some of the riders go to a muffler shop and have a piece of pipe cut and bend to put it between the header and the muffler. It brings the exhaust back and points it out.
Would I have the money, I'd buy each one of the pipes and try them out. But Would I have the $$ I would be somewhere on the islands sun bathing my behind Wink

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 04/02/05 at 14:43:43

Agreed.... Grin