Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: a crazy idea
Reply #15 - 03/24/05 at 08:29:32

Quote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm strange

Naah WD the word is "unique" not strange!
Still think you guys would make better TV than OCC!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #16 - 03/24/05 at 08:55:55

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Vespas and Lambrettas have been using hand shifters since the 60's. You could probably pilfer the whole assembly off of an italian scooter and then just work out some type of linkage on the gearbox.

thanks for the suggestion. i've got the linkage and shifter handle worked out it's just a matter of some fabrication.  i'm using shifter off the gn400 it to the right angle, then attach it to a 7/8 piece alum tubing bent in two places. add grip and clutch handle, again off the 400
use the exsiting cable.  looks to work pretty sweet.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 03/24/05 at 09:39:38

No Perry, the word is strange, very strange. I have a hopped up Husquvarna saw engine and a Henderson bicycle (as in Henderson Motorcycle Company). Neither one is getting used...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/24/05 at 11:25:18

Quote:
i've got the linkage and shifter handle worked out it's just a matter of some fabrication.  i'm using shifter off the gn400 it to the right angle, then attach it to a 7/8 piece alum tubing bent in two places. add grip and clutch handle, again off the 400
use the exsiting cable

Not quite sure I follow. So you are doing it via cables or linkage? I was thinking (along the lambretta lines) of using two cables. twist one way for 1st gears. twist back the other way for 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th. The cables would move the shifter on the trans using a push/pull motion. You would be using only cables and no linkage.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #19 - 03/24/05 at 13:29:46

Hey sluggo, saw an option in the latest AMA rag for an electric shifter, could use the tank shift lever for the clutch part and have a up/down button for the shift part. <www.adaptivemotorcycling.com&gt; That would be different. The idea of a clutch lever on the shift lever is neat.  MaxLike your new stop/tail/license plate light. Great idea.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/24/05 at 14:17:00

I get it now. Heres a pic I found on the web. Most people convert the clutch to the left peg (where the shifter is now) and bolt the shifter right to the shaft. But I think yours will be even cooler. I cant wait to see what you come up with. Keep us posted.  Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 03/24/05 at 14:18:40

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Not quite sure I follow. So you are doing it via cables or linkage? I was thinking (along the lambretta lines) of using two cables. twist one way for 1st gears. twist back the other way for 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th. The cables would move the shifter on the trans using a push/pull motion. You would be using only cables and no linkage.

i'm using an  old shifter bent at proper angle to clear engine case then attach 7/8 tube up to side of tank, then bent forward at top to follow tank lines with clutch hand attached  pattern will be one forward 4 back.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #22 - 03/24/05 at 21:15:50

Just wanted to share with all of you how much pleasure Sluggo's bobber gives me as it rotates on my iMAC desktop along with the other thumper pictures i have collected. Best part is I ridden with Sluggo and have seen the bike on he road. We balanced the rear tire last Friday and rode until we got to the smoothest new pavement so I could see how well the process worked. Looked good to me and after some chit chat Sluggo headed south and I headed north. Great job sluggo.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #23 - 03/24/05 at 21:17:50

Hey sluggo, have you thought about crossing the shifter over in front of the downtubes and haveing it be RH shift so you could keep the original clutch arrangement. I think there is a european one that is configured that way. Max

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #24 - 03/24/05 at 22:33:59

thank you max for your kind words.

i really like the idea of a shift/clutch on the same assembly, and it's the easiest to fabricate.
my intentions are to leave the original clutch handle in place until i know i really like it. if not i can set it back easily or come up with a different method as you outlined.  my question is how to bypass the clutch interlock.  it looks like all i need to do is close the circut.

it's a work in progress

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 03/25/05 at 00:01:30

Kill the clutch interlock the same way you delete the kickstand interlock. Cut the wires and twist them together with a wire nut or solder them together somewhere in the harness.  I've deleted the kickstand wires (back in 98, the switch lasted a couple weeks or months, can't remember which). Plan to delete the clutch interlock sometime soon.

All the redundant safety gizmos...why bother? Rock the bike before you go to start it, if it rolls, cool, if not, put it in neutral. How hard is that? Between sheer laziness and stupidity on the part of the average consumer, nothing is simple anymore.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #26 - 03/25/05 at 00:37:33

of course i figgured that out about 5 minutes after i asked, i went out and put a jumper wire in it. answered that one.

my last thumper had no safety equipment, i loved it.

because of the manual starting procedures, and magneto i just left it on, never even used a key, well except for the gas cap. and never worried about some one taking it because i knew they wouldnt get it started.  8)

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #27 - 03/25/05 at 17:53:58

I like the cut off in the kickstand.  That's how I shut off the engine.  YMMV.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #28 - 03/25/05 at 20:06:50

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I like the cut off in the kickstand.  That's how I shut off the engine.  YMMV.

i use mine in that fashion, that and scaring people at the mall.

living in moses lake (where the current run of school shootings started, but is never mentioned), i am mindful of doing it around schools.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 03/26/05 at 07:02:38

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Kill the clutch interlock the same way you delete the kickstand interlock. Cut the wires and twist them together with a wire nut or solder them together somewhere in the harness.  I've deleted the kickstand wires (back in 98, the switch lasted a couple weeks or months, can't remember which). Plan to delete the clutch interlock sometime soon.

All the redundant safety gizmos...why bother? Rock the bike before you go to start it, if it rolls, cool, if not, put it in neutral. How hard is that? Between sheer laziness and stupidity on the part of the average consumer, nothing is simple anymore.
-WD

I agree.  I hated the safety gizmos right from the start.  They were dumbing me down.  Never had all that before and didn't want it now.  Hell, starting the bike in gear, by accident, is kind of a thrill Tongue....but at least I don't have to worry with those gizmos going bad and giving me trouble out on the road, either.

Shutting off the bike with the side stand is cool, but if you ask me, that's also a great way to forget and leave the ignition turned on.  It had to go too.  I just ran that side of the double diode to ground.  As for the clutch switch, I pulled out the switch and that section of wire and just jumpered it at the yellow harness connector.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:58:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a crazy idea

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.