Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
a crazy idea
03/23/05 at 16:58:47

in an earler post wd said he wanted a hand shifter, i said to my self thats f'n crazy how are you going work the clutch. then i started really thinking the idea over and this is what i came up with.

a hand shifter with a clutch handle on it. so you shift and clutch with the same hand.  

i only use the clutch to start in first and down shift back to first and hold at intersection.the rest of the time it's just a throttle blip as i shift. yes it's an advanced technique but one every rider should learn.

i went out and looked at the machine for a few hours and came to the conclusion that this will work.  

thoughts  ???

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: a crazy idea
Reply #1 - 03/23/05 at 20:00:04

Only part I haven't figured out is how to attach the splined widget on the shifter stub. I had to weld up a solid linkage when the cheesy factory potmetal linkage broke.  Can't be that hard to hook the clutch cable to the shifter peg lever, for a foot clutch hand shift. I know, jockey/suicide shifts on bobbers/choppers are becoming like flat black on rat rods. I'm almost mad the front brake works again, with a hand shifter, I could have trimmrd all the crap off the bars. Nice and basic, throttle up top, maybe mirrors, if I couldn't figure out how to hang them under the bars.

Oh well, there's always next winter for engineering.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/23/05 at 20:11:20

i've got someone to help fabricate it. i'll use a set of 7/8 handlebars for the up tube and the exsiting clutch lever that way i won't have to come up with a foot clutch.  

then figgure out how to make a left foot front brake.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/23/05 at 20:23:16

Left foot front brake? Hang the master on the frame. Build a longer pushrod to go from the pedal to the M/C plunger. 90 degree banjo fitting off the M/C outlet, 90 degree hard bend to route the hose forward. Done. Be a b!tch to bleed the system.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 03/23/05 at 20:28:44

solid engineering.  i'll get the first step done then try the brakes.  if i don't like the set up i can always set it back to factory.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/23/05 at 20:39:43

"May be crazy but I ain't dumb!"

That is an old hotrodding trick. It's how you put a modern powerbrake system under a floor board...and if you look real close, how several of the OEM linked bike brake systems are plumbed.

Wish I could take credit for it...told my wife that being a gearhead wasn't always bad...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 03/23/05 at 20:45:08

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
"May be crazy but I ain't dumb!"

sad that most people equate crazy with dumb.  Sad
their loss.  Roll Eyes

i'm sure in his time people thougth the same of ole ben franklin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 03/23/05 at 22:34:07

Apparently being a gearhead is usually bad, unless I'm working on her car...

Couple more hours and I'll know if the car will run again. I hope so. Neither bike is ridable, the truck gets horrible mileage. She has a new business that needs promoting. I can see her point. Kind of hard to tote advertising fliers on a bike, even with a daypack. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have got to park the truck, gas prices are killing us.

Sure wish I knew ANYTHING about Toyotas.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 03/23/05 at 23:00:34

just got back from the shop. mocked up a handle.
man this is gonna work.

wow a savage with a handshift/clutch. will be unique. i'll post pics when complete. should be about a week, maybe sooner.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 03/24/05 at 01:59:03

8)You're blowin' my mind guys!! Y'all should be on TV!! Can't wait to see pics!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/24/05 at 03:22:11

Perry, I just don't think Sluggo and I would make good TV. I don't know about him, but when I get mad, stuff gets broken. Threw an assembled big block V8 at an ex-boss...

The Savage has such a low buy in that some of us, especially Sluggo, Max, me and Peter the Blacksmith from Bert's forum can't help but tinker with them. Look through Paladin's picture gallery. There are some seriously sweet modified bikes in there.

Wish I was as good with late models as I was with flathead engines. My personal best time on an Indian 80 incher was just over one hour, from pull out to tear down, machine, reassemble, and go for a test ride. I wouldn't crack open a Savage engine on a dare, unless I was at Greg's house. Overhead cams and their related parts are beyond my comprehension.

I guess I'll have to photo document when I add 6 inches to the backbone of the orange bike. Proper late 60s or early 70s gooseneck frame is looking better and better. Long, low, lean, and very mean. My stepson is also over 6 feet tall, a bitmore legroom would be a good thing for either of us.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 03/24/05 at 04:15:30

WD,

if the pictures you are refering to are listed in the gallery from the home page, then they are the same 244 pictures that the sites owner collected/borrowed from other sites. paladins gallery is rather new and hosted at his site. it features the people who post here on a regular basis. i haven't seen an update to the 244 pictures since i've been lurking/posting. i even sent a photo to john, which did not get added to the lot.

as for me, i have a very very long fuse (can you say stoner) so seldom do i get mad at things or people, that makes for some boring tv.
also so sitting there staring for a hour at the machine as i work out a problem is pretty boring too.

i have to agree with the low buy in statement, it has made it easier to tinker with. like the bob job is considered tinkering.  

my hope and the reason i've posted so many pics is to stir others to jump on the mod wagon.
as i've worked out the hand shift/clutch i've come to the conclusion that i will not get wild and crazy with the performance mods. just a super trapp, rejet, and half white spacer. but then again ask me in a month or two as i become familar with the new shifter. my biggest concern at this moment is  low speed manuvering in parking lots and the like. like i said earlier, i can always put it back to factory.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 03/24/05 at 04:38:15

Imean Paladin's gallery and map combo, the top post on this page. I like the homepage gallery too, but, prefer to know who goes with what bike. The picture issue is one of the reasons I came here. The other site I can't even get my contact info corrected. haven't been in TN since October of 2001, but that's where I'm listed at.

Let's see, you're layed back, Max is a genious tinkerer, and I'm a kook...there may be a show in that after all. Throw in Greg from Portland, Pat from Des Moines/Kent...naw, I'd prefer to keep the Savage a "niche market" bike. If the rich guys find out about it, I'll have to get rid of it. I refuse to be mainstream! If it is hyper-popular, count me out. Explains the 49 and 69 Dodge trucks, the RWD Celica, and why I'm getting rid of the Bugs.

Next to my temper, Big Paul from OCC is a junior grade Girl Scout. But I build nicer bikes...
-WD
Roach Bikes Forever! 8)

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/24/05 at 05:54:38

Oh, and once you figure out how to shift with the new set-up, you'll never go back to the current standard. Much faster gear engagement, more positive shift feel, more control than a foot shift. I learned to ride on a 3 speed tank shift Knuckle, never have gotten used to the hand clutch foot shift thing.
-WD
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm strange.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/24/05 at 08:29:05

Vespas and Lambrettas have been using hand shifters since the 60's. You could probably pilfer the whole assembly off of an italian scooter and then just work out some type of linkage on the gearbox.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:18:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a crazy idea

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.