Traffic Light triggers (Read 4 times)
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Traffic Light triggers
03/21/05 at 21:10:48

Irritating traffic light sensors don't recognize my Savage.  Or maybe it's me they object to.

Anybody ever try the light trigger magnet thingys (intentional) that go under the bike?

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Traffic Light triggers
Reply #1 - 03/21/05 at 21:20:44

Rapidly going from low to high beam a few times as you approach the light tends to work pretty good where I live. Fools the electric eye on the light, thinks the bike is an emergency vehicle.

Some of the magnetic triggers work, sometimes. Depends on how sensitive the in road pick-up loop is, how strong the magnet is. As little as the device is, about the best you can expect.

My way works, but if you get caught, the fine is astronomical.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 03/21/05 at 21:22:02

I don't have one myself, but I know some fellers who do.  They like them and say they work.

I wonder if they collect road scraps, old screws, nuts, etc.?

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 03/21/05 at 21:28:11

That's what I'm skeered of, turning metal trash up on its edge and going into the flat manufacturing business.  I guess I could try hang a speaker magnet on one side of the rear swingarm to at least try it and see if it works.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 03/21/05 at 22:35:46

personally, i don't buy into the gadgets or tricks.
the sensors are magnetic and if you dont have enough mass to trigger it, some little thingymabob (intentional) won't trigger it either.  hi beam low beam  wishfull thinking. the only thing that works is the device on emergency vehicles that use a high intensity beam on a specific oscillation pattern for that system. get caught big trouble.

i just wait a cycle then go on red. when caught i explain it and have been let off most of the time. the one time i got the ticket i went to fight it, the judge let me off.

IMHO  buying one of those things is like  "i just washed and waxed my bike, and boy does it run better".

wasn't it w.c. fields who said "a fool and his money are soon parted".

rebuttals????

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 03/21/05 at 23:18:05

You can see where the wire is buried in the pavement.  I simply ride right over the wire and seldom fail to trigger the sensor.

If that doesn't work maybe you could lay the bike down across the sensor to get the mass closer to the sensor.  Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 03/21/05 at 23:30:35

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If that doesn't work maybe you could lay the bike down across the sensor to get the mass closer to the sensor.  Tongue

oh yeah i forgot that part of the explanation, thanks p, i appreciate you dilligence

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 03/22/05 at 09:57:49

I can't believe no one has given up the best answer to this old problem yet. It is so simple you will wonder why you haven't thought of it before. Lord knows you had the time to think about it when you were sitting through so many non light changes. You don't have to buy anything, the part you need is already attached to your Savage.  Instead of getting pissed until you finally flip out waiting at a traffic light try this next time. Reach around with your left toe and pull out your side stand and touch it down. Click, light change. The only time this doesn't work is if the sensory loop is buried too deep, then there is nothing that will work.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 03/22/05 at 10:48:23

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I can't believe no one has given up the best answer to this old problem yet. It is so simple you will wonder why you haven't thought of it before. Lord knows you had the time to think about it when you were sitting through so many non light changes. You don't have to buy anything, the part you need is already attached to your Savage.  Instead of getting pissed until you finally flip out waiting at a traffic light try this next time. Reach around with your left toe and pull out your side stand and touch it down. Click, light change. The only time this doesn't work is if the sensory loop is buried too deep, then there is nothing that will work.

so then why didn't the light change right away when i put the stand down to get off machine so i can run over and push walk button.  ???  .

also the sensor is further back than first in line, so if traffic is clear just go, if theres traffic, it will be just a moment till a cage comes along behind you and triggers it when he passes over it.

you see i've ridden for over 30 years now and had lots of time to think this one through.  8)

personally i like paladins suggestion best, just lay the machine over. but then again you would have to do it right over the sensor.   three of four car lenghts back.  they place the sensor that far back so when you pass over it the timing box has time to react.  

dont believe me, just go out look where the line in pavement is. it's not placed under the first car in line.

so the only thing that really works is civil disobiedence. run the darn thing.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/22/05 at 16:05:04

There's one light near my house that never changes if I'm sitting at it on the bike, haven't seen any wires in the road surface, I've run it a couple times so far. As long as I don't get caught I'll keep running it. Pi sses me off waiting at the light for over five minutes when I'm out on a ride. The simplest solution is to go a different route and miss the light altogether. Too bad it can't be done all the time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 03/22/05 at 17:33:55

If I lay the bike down over the sensor, the light better change cause I'm coming through no matter what.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 03/22/05 at 17:39:56

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If I lay the bike down over the sensor, the light better change cause I'm coming through no matter what.

roflmFao... that was funny

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #12 - 03/22/05 at 18:16:05

This came up on one of the other lists I belong to and a couple members are traffic engineers who design these systems. They said that the magnets are a waste of money and if your bike won't trip the light it is because the guys who installed them were to lazy to set them up right. They did mention that the best place to position the bike is in the middle of the loop and not on the edges as most think. This is to make sure the sensor stays tripped since there are filters for nusiance trips like cagers cutting off the corners. They recommended calling the department or number that is posted on the box on the corner to complain. They need to come out and adjust the sensors. This is for the magnetic type sensors. I hope I got it right since I'm going on memory. Maybe someone on list can shed some more light on this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 03/25/05 at 07:10:40

There is another way that seems to work most of the time...and we got the tip during our MSF course.

The "sensor" is actually a magnetic field caused by the current flow in the buried wire...when a vehicle's metal and electrical parts interrupt the "normal" state of this magnetic field (changes the current flow) it starts a timer to change the light.  However if it is buried too deeply or the sensitivity adjusted too low, it may not detect the smaller change caused by a bike.

The tip that we were given during the MSF course, was to shut-off and re-start the bike.  Using the starter tends to create an electro-magnetic pulse which can be detected by the buried sensor.  Give it a try.  It seems to have worked for us a few times

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 03/28/05 at 13:52:35

That's cool, Greg. I hadn't heard that one.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Traffic Light triggers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!