Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best/worst modifications? (Read 26 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: Best/worst modifications?
Reply #15 - 03/22/05 at 16:14:23

Back to the original post, the worst mod I made was putting the liscense plate on the side of the bike.  When I put it there, you could really see how offset the back wheel is.  Plus, it just looked funny on the side.  Quickly put it back.
Best mod?  By far, the Slipstreamer windshield.  It's a little big, but it is great when the weathers crappy.  Has just enough coverage to protect the hands as well as the face.  Best $200 spent.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #16 - 03/22/05 at 16:52:10

WD, I've heard about filling the tank with water and placing it in a freezer. But I don't know if that would work on a 25%er.

I've also heard rumors about buying a used one on eBay.  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #17 - 03/22/05 at 17:24:05

eBay rocks.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 03/23/05 at 06:14:47

Hands-down, the best mod was the combination of white spacer mod, carb rejet, and air filter & exhaust replacement.  
After that, I'd have to say I really love my fork brace and trunk.  It would be easy to forget things like Kuryakyn grips and a sheepskin seat cover that have made everyday riding so much nicer but they are great.

For worst mod I think it'd have to be adding the Digital Tachometer.  While it worked wonderfully for the first few weeks, it appears to have succumbed to the vibration level of the bike and sometimes works and other times resets and flashes random crap.  It was a good idea but in actual practice, please save your money for one designed for a bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 03/23/05 at 06:25:27

Though it's not actually a bike mod, I really have to say how pleased I am with my new Scorpion EXO-400.  This is easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.  While helmet fit is often partly a function of head shape, I must heartily recommend that anyone in the market for a full-face splathat try this one on and see if it works for them.  The price is quite good for both the EXO-400 (polycarbonate) and the EXO-700 (fiber composite) and both are DOT & Snell approved.  Personally, I was unable to feel a weight difference, so I went with the less expensive polycarbonate.  It's comfortable, quiet and priced far better than any comparable helmet I've seen.  The anti-fog shield WORKS.  I found out after I ordered a mirrored shield that only the clear and smoked shields have the anti-fog treatment, so please remember that if youu order any.  I am still pleased with the mirrored shield though and the breath deflector helps reduce fogging on it fairly well - though nothing as startling as the anti-fog shields.  The Aero Skirt is a worthwhile addition too, both for cold weather and additional quiet.  I found the helmet priced about the same wherever I looked but Nationspeed Warehouse offered a second shield of your choice for an additional $9 at the time of helmet purchase, which is a great deal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 03/23/05 at 08:25:31

The best modification for the money has to be a rejetting of the main and cutting the white spacer down. Installing a Superbrace on the front forks tightened up the steering on my '02, I would recomend it to anybody who has the cash. Jacking up the front of the seat is the third mod I would recomend.  Bad modifications I've tried include trying to convert a sportster seat to a savage, turned out very ugly and uncomfortable.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #21 - 03/23/05 at 14:02:27

Best mod by far was adding the highway hawk forward controls, folllowed by a Raask pipe and then the z bars. The worst mod (even though I love the look) was removing the front fender. Getting stuck in the rain convinced me to put it back on Smiley

Jen
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #22 - 03/23/05 at 15:10:40

Best: Forward controls,  Seeger Germany
Butterfly HD steeringbar, raising seat, fly- or not to high windscreen.
Worst: I dont do any. Undecided Undecided Undecided

Greetz
kropatchek Grin Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #23 - 03/24/05 at 10:04:16

FCR41 carb and KMX125 (11mm) master cylinder.
More go and more stop.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:16:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best/worst modifications?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.