Send Topic Print
front pulley (Read 1 times)
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
front pulley
03/22/05 at 00:08:08

I would like to take off the pront pulley because it starts to be rusty, so I want to put new paint on it.
But I can't screw it off.  ???
I tried to do it like clymer says: step on rear wheel brake and screw it off.. but it was so hard so I couldn't move it a bit..
Do you have any tip, idea how to put it off?
Thanks..

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: front pulley
Reply #1 - 03/22/05 at 00:14:07

Put a 4 foot piece of pipe over the ratchet handle. If I remember correctly, righty-tighty lefty-loosey does not apply to that nut.  When mine got crusty, I just sanded the edge and brush painted the center...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
Reply #2 - 03/22/05 at 00:23:18

the main problem is that how to hold it to not move when you want to unscrew it..

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/22/05 at 00:54:09

Place the front tire against the wall of the garage, house if you don't have a garage. Put the bike in first. Have someone sit on the bike and really step down on the rear brake lever. You break the nut loose. It is not really a one man job. That nut gets on there so tight that if you don't have an air impact wrench, it is almost impossible to take off.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 03/22/05 at 03:01:35

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Place the front tire against the wall of the garage, house if you don't have a garage. Put the bike in first. Have someone sit on the bike and really step down on the rear brake lever. You break the nut loose. It is not really a one man job. That nut gets on there so tight that if you don't have an air impact wrench, it is almost impossible to take off.
-WD

That's the trick . The air impact wrenche allways work. Do NOT forget to flatten the washer behind the nut.

Goodluck
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 03/22/05 at 06:19:15

My medium duty 3/8" air impact wrench didn't budge the front wheel of Project66Bug.  Ended up using leverage:

(for the actual breaking of the bolts we had to have Wendy sitting on the car right over the tire to stop it from slipping.)

The most leverage I ever used was on an antenna mast.  Had used two sections of 1.5" iron pipe coupled together.  One bent in a wind storm.  To unbolt my uncle and I used a pair of pipe wrenches with ten foot pipes over the handles.  (over a thousand foot-pounds of torque.)

WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 03/22/05 at 08:33:42

The nut has normal threads, meaning turn it left to remove. I will also repeat what  Kropatchek said and make sure you bend back the locking washer from the nut.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
Reply #7 - 03/23/05 at 03:33:46

I don't have an air impact wrench..  Undecided
Do you usually have an air impact wrench at home??  Wink

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 03/23/05 at 09:12:57

Yes, if You intend to work on Your bike on a regular bases and if You have where to keep it, the first thing I'd recommend is a good compressor / that has oil in/ and after that some decent impact gun / ingersol rand or a craftsman copi of  IR2121 or IR2112/ You will never be sorry. Latter You will want some more air tools.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/23/05 at 10:40:50

Take a breaker bar with the right size socket on it, a long piece of pipe and a big hammer. Slip the pipe over the handle of the breaker bar. Lean hard on the cheater pipe and then whoop on it with the big hammer. Has always worked for me, just wear gloves and eye protection.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/24/05 at 05:38:20

I believe the socket size is 32 MM.  There is also a lock washer tab to bend down and the nut turns off in a counter-clockwise direction.

The nut shouldn't be tightened that tight in the first place which is the reason for the lock washer....it won't normally come loose as the direction the shaft turns under power is the same direction that the nut is removed.

I don't know if it will work, but I've used a piece of wood to block other gears and sprockets.  Try a piece about 1/2" thick in between the belt and the sprocket.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 03/24/05 at 05:47:29

Um, isn't the front pulley aluminum like the rear pulley? I think it is, been a couple years since I popped the pulley guard off...

Make sure the nut, washer and output shaft are clean. Minor surface rust on the nut and washer is no big deal, lightly sand them clean and put a thin layer of petroleum jelly on them to slow down the rust.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 03/24/05 at 11:02:01

reeko wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I don't have an air impact wrench..  Undecided
Do you usually have an air impact wrench at home??  Wink
Powered tools are handy.  Battery powered require the added weight of a battery.  Electric tools require the weight of the electric motor.  Air tools put the weight of the motor with the compressor and are far smaller and lighter for the same or greater power.

As is often the case, you get what you pay for.  Wife got me a boxed set of air tools that included an inpact wrench.  The cost of the kit was less than the cost of a good impact wrench.  The impact wrench has less than half the torque of the expensive one.  Impact wrench is cool -- an 8-year-old can remove nuts that you would be grunting over using a wrench and an extention handle.

Working on and around the house I use a air-powered palm nailer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.