Send Topic Print
Warm weather riding gear (Read 3 times)
doppelganger
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Fort Wayne, IN
Warm weather riding gear
03/13/05 at 13:42:43

What do you wear when riding in warm weather?

I just got my bike in October, so I haven't ridden during the summer yet.  I have a leather jacket (non motorcycle specific) that works well for 40-50°F weather, but I think it will be too hot once the temperatures are in the 60-70°F range.  I would like to keep something between me and the road besides a thin layer of cotton, but I don't want to spend $200 on a hi-tech jacket, and I don't want to be uncomfortable.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Warm weather riding gear
Reply #1 - 03/13/05 at 14:25:13

Take a look at http://www.newenough.com/ , they have a lot of different riding gear. Last year I got a First Gear mesh riding jacket from them, has soft armor but is light and cool. Was very happy with it while riding during the hot weather. There are a lot of good deals, some of the gear is as much as 40% off. The other place to try is e-bay, you can get some good deals there if you know what you are looking for. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/13/05 at 16:00:25

How un-comfortable will you be with road rash on your body? Good riding gear is an investment in your safety, not just wasted money. I have never paid more than $200 for a current year Kevlar/cordura jacket with armour in the elbows/forearms, shoulders and back. Once I found year old styles/colors they have been the $129-130 area.  My ventilated mesh Joe Rocket style is very comfortable clear up to 10 deg F + when moving, anything will be warm stoped in traffic.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #3 - 03/13/05 at 19:07:22

I wear ballistic nylon/cordura under 70 F and mesh when over. My mesh is Joe Rocket but I like many of the newer ones out there and will probably get a First Gear next. I would recommend leather pants for the Savage since I kept melting my nylons ones on the pipe. I worked around this by sewing leather patches on the bottom of the legs.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 03/14/05 at 06:13:44

You can get leather jackets with zip out-liners and vents.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/14/05 at 11:07:11

I also use an evaporative cooling vest in the hotter parts of summer here in TX.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/05 at 03:33:08

leathers year round here in miss. the bugs here thrive on steriods got hit saturday on the shoulder leather helps    ride wise

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/15/05 at 06:47:48

I have a FIRST GEAR jacket that is really good for everything except maybe the very hottest part of summer.  It has a zip-out liner that enables me to ride in the cold (as low as 30) and through the summer (up to the 90's).  It has a removeable liner and  zip open air vents on the back & under arms.  It also has removeable armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.  I love it.  I also have pants to go along with it.  They are made of the super strong nylon stuff.
If you want to stay warm, it works.
IF you want to have fresh air, it works.
If you fall, it will protect.
It is WATER PROOF.

The best part is that with a little patience, you can get them on Ebay for penny's on the dollar.

My jacket was free......lucky contest winner.
The pants cost $35, retail about $169.
My boots cost $50, retail about $125

Besides the regular auction section on ebay I shop the DENNIS KIRK CATALOG company ebay store (d-k trader).  Every day they have hundreds of items, some are for auction and others are a fixed price.  On the fixed priced items you can expect to save at least 50% to 70%.  The auction items can be had for up to 90%  off....depending on the bidding.  That is why I said that you are rewarded for patience.
They ship quickly and the products are top grade stuff.

Try it.....you'll like it.

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #8 - 03/16/05 at 03:55:23

I guess a lot depends on your own heat tolerance, and your humidity. Riding in 70 degrees is not really warm by my standards and personal tolerance. And if you consider the wind speed (think wind chill effect) wearing leathers can be OK at those temps, just take out the liner if you can. Also, I like my textile (JoeRocket Ballistic 3.0) without the liner.

Even in 80+ degrees, I've worn my leather (First Gear), but as the humidity and temps go up, its harder to do.

I do have a mesh jacket (First Racing), but I use it for 80+ weather in slow, stop-n-go commuting to work in NYC traffic when I don't have advantage of the wind to cool me. I don't like it for highway speeds because I get too chilly, even at 90 degrees believe it or not.

And like gitarzan and lancer say, look for vents in leathers and textiles, vents that zip open/closed, they are terrific. Cheesy I also have worn my denim jacket for warm weather riding, but not so much.

Generally I always wear my chaps in warm weather, and only in unbearably hot would they come off and just wear jeans.

I do find that the nylon lining in the JoeRocket or my leather first gear is not very cool. Can't do anything about that, and so I find long sleeves T shirts are always more comfortable with those, even in warmer weather. Helps keep me cooler.

Gerry

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #9 - 03/16/05 at 04:13:30

I like to wear a leather jacket. They have come a long way is providing back support as well. Mine has a built in back belt that seems to help. When the weather gets to warm for that I switch over to my Joe Rocket vented ballistic jacket. It to has  the build in back support as well as upper back, shoulders, and elbow armour.

As for the legs? I always wear jeans and leather chaps.

I also were high leather engineers boots. I like the boots for a multitude of reasons. They not only provide a decent ankle support , but they also take abuse well and are waterproof (I use boot parafin to keep them that way).

I cannot believe the amount of people I see riding wearing only shorts and t-shirts. As far as I can tell they must have some sort of a death-wish. You have got to be nuts to take those kind of risks. I wonder if they have ever seen what happens when flesh meets pavement.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/16/05 at 05:57:19

And it doesn't take a deadly spill to remove a decent quantity of skin from your body either.  I use the Power Cool cordura jacket from Brosh.  It has Kevlar and internal slots for additional CE armor in the elbows/forearms, shoulders and back, which I added.  It also has front and back zippered vents and comes with a zip in/out quilted liner.  I've used it in 28 F weather with the liner and in 103 F weather without the liner and with the vents open.  I also like the number of pockets it has.  I would also recommend a microfiber t-shirt for hot weather.  They do a great job of wicking away sweat and cooling you in the process.  I usually wear Leather Legs half-chaps (gaiters) instead of full chaps.  Draggin jeans are a good complement to them.  The cooling vest I use is the Men's Classic Cooling Vest available from Silver Eagle Outfitters.  It looks like they've improved upon it and now offer a New Generation version while putting the original on sale.

Oh, and carry a Camelbak or something similar.  A plain old canteen works if you don't mind stopping to drink but hydration packs allow you to use a tube to drink while still riding.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 03/16/05 at 06:14:30

Since we are talking about safety, I discovered the hard way not to carry keys or anything sharp in my pants pockets. When I dumped last year I had the house keys in the pocket of my jeans. They poked a hole in the jeans and stuck about 1/2 inch into my leg. Since then I've been carrying them in the tool pouch or saddle bags.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/16/05 at 07:16:41

OUCH!!!
Now that is a useful tip........thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 03/16/05 at 10:18:39

Good safety tip, Egon.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:52:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warm weather riding gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.