2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Whick one Please
03/10/05 at 14:08:09

Howdy partner, (Just kidding)

Anyway, I inquired with the locale harley dealer about the differents through the years of 1200cc sportster mufflers. He said the there are two different mufflers used on sportsters a long and a short. For those of you who have done the sportster swap which did you go with I am hoping the short for cost reasons. I am looking at $25 (Short) used from a custom shop I have had no luck finding one at the swapmeets. The long muffler is $45. I haven’t checked the OD of the pipe yet. Does the Sportster slip right on or will I have to put a sleeve (shim) in between the muffler and the pipe to make up the OD-ID difference. I have read people saying it you must have a sleeve(shim) and others saying they didn’t use a sleeve (shim). Can someone who has done this let me know how they did it. I am also thinking of anteing up and getting a suppertrapp instead. Will it require the above mentioned sleeve (shim). What is the cost and size I would need. If I am going to spend the money I would like to be able to tune the muffler so I am not really interested in the raz pipe.

Thank you for your help,
Mike
8)

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: Whick one Please
Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 14:34:07

Check out this link.  Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I recently purchsed 2 sporty mufflers on ebay. They are both off of a newer sportster (short style I believe). I think the really old sportsers use a longer one. One of my mufflers has  baffles and one doesnt. I want to try both to see which one sounds/performs better. I am just waiting for warmer weather to drive it to a muffler shop so that I can have the 10' Extension peice made up. You want this extension to keep heat off of the rear brake mechanism.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 18:34:54

I recently installed the shorter version.  It fits fine.  Not sure the model Sporty it came off, but it has a sliding bolt that hooks up with the stock muffler mount on the Savage.  

HOWEVER, if you're doing it for the sound or more horsepower, don't expect much.  It's a little deeper than my stock muffler was, but not much.  

I spent $25 on mine and I think it was money well spent because I hated the look of the stock behemoth pipe.  The sound is a bit better, and the backfires sound better.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 19:12:03

And it's much lighter.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 03/11/05 at 00:41:47

The 10" extension probably keeps thr tuned length right.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/05 at 08:04:09

Hey KLX 650, I know you have done a lot with exhausts. I was wondering if I run a straight pipe with no baffles, Will I lose a lot of bottom end. Or is the savage such a low tuned bike that I wont really feel a difference.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 03/11/05 at 09:15:04

Maybe you don't FEEL the difference, but you (and the neighbours) Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad will defenetly will HEAR the difference.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/11/05 at 09:39:49

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey KLX 650, I know you have done a lot with exhausts. I was wondering if I run a straight pipe with no baffles, Will I lose a lot of bottom end. Or is the savage such a low tuned bike that I wont really feel a difference.

I do know that my spouse's with the SuperTrapp seems to have more bottom end grunt than mine with a Raask, but once she's wound up to about 4K mine starts to really pull.  There's the difference between back pressure and free breathing.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: Which one Please
Reply #8 - 03/11/05 at 09:44:33

Fu*k the neighbors Angry.....No Just kidding Grin

Is it really that loud? I have flowmaster 40 series on my truck and I'm so used to it that I dont even hear it anymore. Before I bought my savage, I almost bought one from this guy that had a straigt pipe. The bike ended up getting stolen but he let me hear it idle and it didnt sound that bad. Now I know that was only at idle and It may give off more sound at higher revs but Is it really really obnoxious?. I really need more top end over bottom end grunt, but I dont want it to have such a narrow power curve that it is hard to drive in day to day traffic. And a little growl out the back never hurt anyone either.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 03/12/05 at 01:44:39

Hey Nightrain

Go to technical corner and scroll down to Exhaust design (open pipe), the first page should tell You what You want to know.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #10 - 03/12/05 at 13:19:46

Thank you guys 8)

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: Which one Please
Reply #11 - 03/14/05 at 08:51:31

Hey Clive, I am not quite clear on how to interpert your RPM vs Length chart. Do specific lengths correspond to MAX RPM? Are lengths from the port  back or from the end of the header back? Are you saying that assuming a (1.5") i.d. header, If I run the entire length of my exhaust (from the port back) at say 43", then my max rpm will correspond to 5500RPM? I appologize for my inexperience ???

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 03/15/05 at 00:16:07

Hey Nightrain
The header lengths I give are measured from the exhaust port.
If You want Your engine to be most efficient at 5500rpm then a 1.5" i.d. header 44.25" would be optimum and would work well 1000rpm either side of 5500.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 03/16/05 at 01:26:45

Hey Nightrain

I may have given the impression that the pipe I discribed would only work from 4500 to 6500 but as the Savage has tame cams and the pipe has a relatively small i.d. it wll be good low down too.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #14 - 03/16/05 at 04:50:41

Thank you Clive I was going to ask the same question. 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whick one Please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.