Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lubing the Cables, What's Best? (Read 11 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Lubing the Cables, What's Best?
03/12/05 at 15:33:48

After getting all my winter "to do" list completed by the end of last fall Cheesy I suddenly realized that the cables on my '02 should get a lubing before I plan to get any serious riding in. Sad So I'm curious as what to use beside regular engine oil. What is recomended by everybody??. Still waiting for the weather to warm up here in NE Pennsylvania.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: Lubing the Cables, What's Best?
Reply #1 - 03/12/05 at 17:00:43

You know that stuff in a white plastic bottle, that looks like an old time oil can?  I think it's called 3 in 1.  It has a extending spout.  I use it, and it seems to do fine.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 03/12/05 at 18:28:04

Why wouldn't you just use cable lube. They sell it at your favourite bike shop.  Stay away from crap like WD40. It evaporates and leaves your cables dry. White grease or extreme pressure grease in an aerosol is worse crap because it thickens and gums up your cable.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/12/05 at 18:47:25

Didn't know that they made something specific for cables(Duh) ???. Thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/12/05 at 20:53:35

Yes, they make special cable lube and usually You can buy the can of lube with e special tool, that helps You to spray lube under pressure in the cable. Ask for it if You don't see it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 03/12/05 at 23:53:17

Look for cable lube and the tool to fit the end of the cable at any good cycle shop. I usually try and lube from the top down or back to front so I wash out as much contamination as I can. I do mine every spring and they last until the next spring.  On the Savage there is the clutch cable, the throttle cable, the rear brake cable and the rear brake light switch cable that runs parallel to the main cable. Both need lubed. Years ago  used to pull the cables from the buke and hang them with awaxed paper funnel so I could feed oil/lacquer thinner mixture down through them until they ran clean. The aerosol cable luber stuff is much easier and quicker. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:32:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lubing the Cables, What's Best?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.