Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: POOR MAN'S MOD
Reply #15 - 03/11/05 at 12:26:13

Not to be disagreeable...but I must agree with Sluggo.  

The stock fender is "double walled" and very rigid.  I think the fender rails are just there to support the back rest, and since no part of the rails are physically attached to the frame, there is still the possibility of the "bend point" as mentioned where the fender mounts to the frame....yet, in all these years of meeting people that have removed the fender rails, no one has ever mentioned a problem with the strength of the fender.

Just my guess, since I still have the rails intalled  Smiley

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/11/05 at 12:33:11

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
as we sometimes can disagree on things.
i have made that mod. and have not experieced the effect you speak of.   with the rear wheel off the machine, look at how fender is constructed and attached. that will answer the question.  others with rails removed?????
Gentlemen -  I stand corrected!

IP Logged
RaG

Reply #17 - 03/11/05 at 12:45:13

This is my first posting on this forum.  I'm over on the other Savage forum quite a bit (as RG).

I have also removed my fender struts and sissy bar and have not had any adverse effects.  I've carried quite a few passengers with no bending, cracking of paint, etc.  The four large bolts and the strength of the fender itself are its support.

-RaG

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #18 - 03/11/05 at 12:51:27

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
the cage driver doesn't see you, let alone the signal.  Embarrassed

But they can HEAR me.   HA Ha Ha HA.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #19 - 03/11/05 at 12:52:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Kinda crotch rocket style on a cruiser, eh?

Picked it up riding my old RD350.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #20 - 03/11/05 at 15:39:46

It's your ride.  I have put internal struts on mine because of articles I have read.  If you are only riding one up, then you shouldn't have a problem as your weight isn't on the rear fender.  If you are using a shorter fender, then you won't see the same condition.  And if the fender struts are only there for the sissy bar, why are they on the S40 (that does not come with a sissy bar)?

This article http://www.motorcycleshowcase.com/bmsdon28.htm was what made me go with internal support - even mine is't as strong as it use to be but I didn't want my paint cracking but still wanted the same look as your bike.

Quote:
I am thinking about having a custom seat made, but before i do i want to explore all my options first. I have a 2000 fxdx, i was thinkg about having a custom sissy bar plates made that allow the passenger to be back farhter allowing me more room. I am not talking about alot just 2-3 inches and then having a seat made that is longer in the passenger area. With weight pushed farther back over the rear wheel am i going to run into problems? My problem is that i am 6' 4" and just trying to get as comfortable as possible.

Jay, the only issue we would perceive is loading the fender more in the rear, could cause stress on the struts may lead to a vibration situation causing cracks in the fender. No sure of a resolution to your plight. Would extended forward controls help, stretching your legs out?
found on http://www.bridgeportharleydavidson.com/messages/

WWW   IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #21 - 03/11/05 at 16:52:24

I wondered about this issue when mounting my hard bags. After removing the side bars it appeared to me that the fender is pretty strong with the internal bracing there is.  The article cited is for Harleys, don't know how they build their fenders. They generate a lot more vibration I think.
RaG - I liked your comment about carrying passengers since removing the side bars.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #22 - 03/11/05 at 18:56:04

I'd think the idea of internal braces isn't a bad idea, but still think the loss of the side chrome would have minimal effect on the fender.  

It's a pretty solid chunk of steel and if there were no riders, I'd suspect you'd never see a difference.  I'd think the sturdiness of the side chrome was to brace the pillion handle firmly.  I also think that if the bike was designed today, the fender would be plastic. (Check out a Volusia).  Also the rider sits pretty much forward on the fender, and it would take a real fatty or a heckuva pothole to bend it.

If I wanted to haul riders around, I sure wouldn't have gotten a Savage, anyway.  It's more of a "personal" bike to me.  My wife indicated that under NO circumstances would she ever ride (unless I got a sidecar) so I went for the smaller, compact Savage.  Not that I wanted a smaller compact bike, but I wanted a street thumper, and my choices pretty much were the Savage, an old Yamaha or a Royal Enfield.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 03/12/05 at 07:20:56

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Seeing as to how I have no job, and very limited funds, I can't dump hardly any money into any bike project lately.  I've really been wanting to remove the sissy bar, and saddle bag brackets, but I darn sure don't have the money to repaint the fender, and fill in the holes.  Just for the hell of it, I removed the bar assembly, and realized that with a little touchup paint, and some new Drag Specialties turn signals, I could make this look fairly decent for under $25 bucks.  Seeing as to how ya'll are experts in this field, please give me constructive criticism.  And before anything is said, all wires and bolts clear the tire completely.  I used some small bumper bolts to fill the back holes, and used the original caps for the front holes.

It seems that I'm looking at the same kind of mod.  Hmmmm.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 03/12/05 at 07:26:29

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
It's your ride.  I have put internal struts on mine because of articles I have read.  If you are only riding one up, then you shouldn't have a problem as your weight isn't on the rear fender.  If you are using a shorter fender, then you won't see the same condition.  And if the fender struts are only there for the sissy bar, why are they on the S40 (that does not come with a sissy bar)?

This article http://www.motorcycleshowcase.com/bmsdon28.htm was what made me go with internal support - even mine is't as strong as it use to be but I didn't want my paint cracking but still wanted the same look as your bike.

found on http://www.bridgeportharleydavidson.com/messages/

But what applies to a Harley may noy apply to a Savage.  He is also talking about moving weight further back on the fender, and it seems that he should also be wondering about the effect of taking weight off of the front wheel.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 03/16/05 at 22:35:19

I made that same modificatoin in July or August of 99. No problems to date. But, I mounted the turn signals in the rearmost holes, covered the others with skull license plate bolts. No paint issues, no vibration problems. You can pull the struts, hardtail the bike, and still have no problems (mine was that way a couple times I raced it).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/17/05 at 20:33:20

How did you make it a hardtail?  Did you put a solid bar where the shocks go?  I wouldn't figure the acceleration of the Savage was strong enough to need a stiffer suspension.  Hell, it takes an act of God to get the front wheel up.  I haven't even done that, just heard fairy tales about it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 03/17/05 at 23:14:44

The shocks are heavy, the struts aren't. I blew out my fork seals pulling out of the dealership lot 5 minutes after signing the papers. Whacked the throttle, dumped the clutch, and with the belt set too tight, up came the front wheel. Found out after the front end came down that the front brake was bad...and I still haven't fixed it! Blown out fork seals, non-functional front brake, works fine.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #28 - 03/18/05 at 09:21:32

Quote:
non-functional front brake, works fine.

Until the day you really need it!

------------

Speaking of Hardtails, I'd like to see Hardtail Hal check back in.  He was harassed off of Heise by some idiot. He came over here but drifted off shortly.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 03/26/05 at 08:23:14

This topic gave me the urge to get off my butt and do something....here is my placement of new turn signals...

I wanted rectangular to match the taillight, tag and reflector.  Somewhere along the way, I'll change the front ones

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:36:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › POOR MAN'S MOD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.