Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
POOR MAN'S MOD (Read 54 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

POOR MAN'S MOD
03/10/05 at 17:38:14

Seeing as to how I have no job, and very limited funds, I can't dump hardly any money into any bike project lately.  I've really been wanting to remove the sissy bar, and saddle bag brackets, but I darn sure don't have the money to repaint the fender, and fill in the holes.  Just for the hell of it, I removed the bar assembly, and realized that with a little touchup paint, and some new Drag Specialties turn signals, I could make this look fairly decent for under $25 bucks.  Seeing as to how ya'll are experts in this field, please give me constructive criticism.  And before anything is said, all wires and bolts clear the tire completely.  I used some small bumper bolts to fill the back holes, and used the original caps for the front  holes.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: POOR MAN'S MOD
Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 17:47:01

Just make sure any wires underneath are covered with plastic wire looms or something to protect from the steady barrage of road dirt and debris.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 18:05:29

sweeeeeeet.    Roll Eyes

i love poor man mods.

on my bobber everything was second hand. fenders, seat, seat springs, dragbar.

that's what i love about the savage and the people who ride them. we don't need to spend a boatload of cash to get the machine the way we want.

only problem is..... once you start the mods you just find more and more to change.  Shocked Shocked

again great job

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 21:49:54

Looks verry cool  Grin Nothing to put a finger on there  8)

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 03/11/05 at 04:31:34

What else can I say. Nice job. Cheesy

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #5 - 03/11/05 at 05:09:53

Since you removed the outside fender struts, did you add some type of inside 'fender struts'?  The reason I ask is that I've heard that the fender struts help support the fender from shaking from vibrations and if riding two up.  You can get some thin metal strips from your favorite local hardware store that will not interfere with the tire and mount inside the tire well to help support the fender.  Not having the 'struts' may cause your paint to crack on the fender.  

Besides that, GREAT job. Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 03/11/05 at 06:38:55

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Since you removed the outside fender struts, did you add some type of inside 'fender struts'?  The reason I ask is that I've heard that the fender struts help support the fender from shaking from vibrations and if riding two up.  You can get some thin metal strips from your favorite local hardware store that will not interfere with the tire and mount inside the tire well to help support the fender.  Not having the 'struts' may cause your paint to crack on the fender.  

Besides that, GREAT job. Cheesy

i wouldn't be that worried about it.  the side rails and sissy bar were the first thing i removed.  if you look at how they were attached you will see they were not "load bearing". the four bolts attaching the fender to the frame is what carries the load, if anything you lesson the load after you remove them.    thats  what i saw after i removed original fender.  it is reinforced from the inside.  just my 2 cents.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 03/11/05 at 06:45:13

I had one like this and never had any excessive vibration. The turn signals are very nice. Now You can sell on Ebay all the parts that You removed and even make couple of $$$.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #8 - 03/11/05 at 08:36:25

Does having the Turnsignals that far up on the fender cause an issue?

Would a cage driver be able to see a right turn signal?

I thought about doing that, but also decided, that since I often ride with my feet folded back on the passenger pegs, I'd kick them death.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 03/11/05 at 09:43:15

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Would a cage driver be able to see a right turn signal?

the cage driver doesn't see you, let alone the signal.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/11/05 at 09:48:45

You all brought up some good  points.  I'm gonna go out there in a little bit and wrap the wires better to protect them from the elements.  As for the load bearing/ vibration issues, the chrome brackets didn't support the weight, they added to it.  That setup weighed almost 10 lbs.  But, I did notice a little more vibration in the turnsignals than before, that's why I mounted them a little more forward than original.  Less vibration towards the mounting point.  As for the question about not seeing the turnsignals, I can't answer that yet.  I stood way off from the bike and was able to clearly see them,  but of course they are not as visible as the "airplane wing" originals.  Oh, and I never ride 2 up.  My wife don't like to ride along; she wants her own bike.  I figure on giving her mine (she loves the color), and getting another Savage or S40.  The only thing I regret right now is not being able to put my bags on.  I could move the lights even more forward, but that would be too far, and the bags would block them anyway.  I'll guess I'll just get a cheap backpack from WalMart, when I head out on longer rides. Roll Eyes  Anyone interested in buying the parts?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/11/05 at 10:05:34

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Does having the Turnsignals that far up on the fender cause an issue?

...I often ride with my feet folded back on the passenger pegs, I'd kick them death.

Kinda crotch rocket style on a cruiser, eh?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/11/05 at 10:09:16

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Seeing as to how I have no job, and very limited funds, I can't dump hardly any money into any bike project lately.  I've really been wanting to remove the sissy bar, and saddle bag brackets, but I darn sure don't have the money to repaint the fender, and fill in the holes.  Just for the hell of it, I removed the bar assembly, and realized that with a little touchup paint, and some new Drag Specialties turn signals, I could make this look fairly decent for under $25 bucks.  Seeing as to how ya'll are experts in this field, please give me constructive criticism.  And before anything is said, all wires and bolts clear the tire completely.  I used some small bumper bolts to fill the back holes, and used the original caps for the front holes.

The only thing I see is Gitarzan's question about the visibility of the turn signals.  Aside from that, it looks pretty good and clean.  And since the fender is double steel it should still be supported well enough.

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/11/05 at 10:34:03

[quote author=thehoghunter link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1110505094;start=0#5 date=03/11/05 at 05:09:53]Since you removed the outside fender struts, did you add some type of inside 'fender struts'?  The reason I ask is that I've heard that the fender struts help support the fender from shaking from vibrations and if riding two up.  You can get some thin metal strips from your favorite local hardware store that will not interfere with the tire and mount inside the tire well to help support the fender.  Not having the 'struts' may cause your paint to crack on the fender.  

I agree with the Hoghunter! You will have to design some sort of support for the fender. The only place it is attached to the frame is at the front end. If you notice, the original fender struts have two bolts in a diagonal position at the forward end on each side where the fender connects to the frame. This allows the fender struts to act as cantilevers and stiffeners, which in turn, support a certain amount of vertical load. I.m afraid that if you carry any size of passenger(be he or she a child or adult) the fender will probably bend at the point where it is attached to the frame. You will also more than likely get excessive vibration at the backend  of the fender when riding solo.

"Innovation is the mother of invention"

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 03/11/05 at 12:16:53

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I.m afraid that if you carry any size of passenger(be he or she a child or adult) the fender will probably bend at the point where it is attached to the frame. You will also more than likely get excessive vibration at the backend  of the fender when riding solo.

as we sometimes can disagree on things.
i have made that mod. and have not experieced the effect you speak of.   with the rear wheel off the machine, look at how fender is constructed and attached. that will answer the question.  others with rails removed?????

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:05:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › POOR MAN'S MOD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.