IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: mt saint helens
Reply #3 - 03/08/05 at 21:36:31

We were visiting Moses Lake (Eastern Wa) when Mt. St Helens blew her top 25 years ago. Sure hope it doesn't happen again. We had about 8" of volcanic ash on everything, it moved like mercury in the gutters when you pushed off the roof (it was very heavy and there was concern about rain making it worse) and then down the driveway to the street. It was piled in the streeets for weeks like snow until they managed to haul it away. the perch and crappie fishing is just now coming back to the lake. Farming was the pits that year. when they cut a bank for a new road you can see see a 3-4" compressed layer of ash in the cut. It is just lurking down there. I also lived in Anchorage AK through 3 coverings. 1 in the 50's when I was a kid and 2 in the 78-98 time frame. One was in the winter and made a mess of everything as it worked into the snow. For years our dogs would run in the woods by our home and come back with the ash in their coats. Had to have the plummer clean the drain from the ash that go washed off and settled in the pipes. As some of us have a ride scheduled for June 12th, lets hope this is only a drill. The ash was very hard on engines, had to move (emergency type) vehicles converted 5 gal vacuum cleaners to precleaners mounted on the bumper. auto parts stores machine shops lived well for years afterward.  After 4 days we were in the first convoy to leave and followed 3 snowplows and a water truck NW out of here to the road to Wenatchee where it was not a problem. The auto parts stores even had air filters in stock there.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mrbusdriver
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/05 at 02:42:50

That's a great pic Sluggo,
I've been following this recent cycle since it started last year. Looking at the daily photos on the USGS site, it is so hard to get a sense of scale as the new dome grows inside the crater... it's HUGE! They call this latest event a "burp", but the enormous amount of ash and steam...wow!
It's just doing what volcanoes do...just not leveling tens of square miles of surrounding countryside this time around...fortunately!
I really do want to see that mountain someday. Enjoy your rides and the earth in action!
Stay safe,
Dave, 03 Savage

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 03/09/05 at 13:14:50

ok  ok ok,  now i'm breaking my arm patting myself on the back.  Roll Eyes  

i submitted the photo (less thumper) to the local paper.

made the frontpage above the fold.

i'm excited. and am committing one of the seven deadly sins,  hubris Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/09/05 at 13:39:34

Nice picture. I just gave the Grandkids my T'shirt from the last time. They should get some good mileage out of it now.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/10/05 at 05:35:26

Nice picture, Sluggo.

For me it was disappointing because I work on the southern side of Portland, and it blew 5 minutes before I got off at 5:30 and I was stuck in traffic when I heard the news.  By the time I got to high ground for a look, it was too dark.

I took this one on Sunday night as she was letting off steam.  Kinda dark though

Undecided

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 03/10/05 at 06:14:58

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I took this one on Sunday night as she was letting off steam.  Kinda dark though
That's what PaintShop is for:

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/10/05 at 07:28:20

Real nice picture Sluggo, 180 miles is just around the corner when it comes to a volcano. Changes perspective on the way we look at everything.
 Stilled snowed in here in NE Pennsylvania, it was a toasty 16 degrees F this morning while walking the dogs. Hoping that this will be my last winter with snow. Planning to be in Florida just south of Daytona by the fall, just left my job and am packing the garage/shop over the next couple weeks. I'm amazed at how much stuff(junk) I have collected over the last 12 years.
 Looking forward to more pictures of mount Saint Helen, your shots are better than most shown on the news here on the east coast.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/11/05 at 06:24:56

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
That's what PaintShop is for:

I use Adobe, but the downside of that enhancement is that adding all that contrast removes the depth.  The rolling hills are gone and the houses are more like auto headlights.

I took my shot with a 300 mm zoom right before sunset, and that lens needs a lot of light.  I would guess the distance to be about 50 miles.  This one, taken at a closer range with a smaller lens, isn't as hazy.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/11/05 at 06:28:11

Oh, I might add that the first one is from the west side and the second is from the east at different times of the day.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/11/05 at 06:32:03

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Real nice picture Sluggo, 180 miles is just around the corner when it comes to a volcano. Changes perspective on the way we look at everything.
 Stilled snowed in here in NE Pennsylvania, it was a toasty 16 degrees F this morning while walking the dogs. Hoping that this will be my last winter with snow. Planning to be in Florida just south of Daytona by the fall, just left my job and am packing the garage/shop over the next couple weeks. I'm amazed at how much stuff(junk) I have collected over the last 12 years.
 Looking forward to more pictures of mount Saint Helen, your shots are better than most shown on the news here on the east coast.

It is a neat picture, and it sort of gives that "impending" kind of perspective like "it's coming" our way.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 03/11/05 at 09:46:21

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
It is a neat picture, and it sort of gives that "impending" kind of perspective like "it's coming" our way.

in the case of moses lake, it's more like  "it's coming  back".  as stated in max's post

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 03/11/05 at 10:10:37

Oh yeah, but I guess there wasn't enough ash for that this time, right?  They say that it only blew for about 12 minutes.

For you folks out there, here is a live web cam of the volcano...and btw- my last shot was taken from the other side of the peak on the top left....

Mt. St. Helens

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mt saint helens

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.