Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression? (Read 27 times)
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression?
03/06/05 at 18:47:33

Clymer's states when adjusting Automatic Decompression Cable that "the actuator shaft should move out of the body 3-5 mm"  What does that mean?  Does that mean it should actually move to the left or right?  What do they mean by 'body'?

Seems to me, the cable pulls upward - the actuator shaft should be the part that goes into the engine which depresses the exhaust rocker arm to allow a slight pressure release.  That's my understanding.  But reading the Clymer book is just confusing on this.  This is in Chapter 3 - page 48 (of the 1986 Savage).

Anyway, what besides this can cause the bike not to crank?  No spark - just the machine gun of the starter trying to work.  Just charged battery - checked and it's at 12 volts (but still could be bad I guess).

Help before I get the sledge hammer out.  Oh, and don't tell me to check internals of the engine - I just put it back together and refuse to open it up again (2 more stripped out bolts - I now am starting to wonder about this "wonderful machine" - I should have just kept adding oil instead of trying to fix the oil leaks.  The only part I appreciate is the starter - remove electrial connector - two bolts - slip backwards - lift out.  Don't have to take any other parts off to work on the one part.  Unlike any other part on the bike.  If I didn't get this off my mind, I would be looking for the sledge hammer now!

WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression?
Reply #1 - 03/06/05 at 20:24:33

I know it sounds confusing, so I will decipher the Cylmer technobable. The body the manual refers to is the solenoid. This is probably best checked with the tank removed. First, make sure the engine is set to TDC on the compression stroke. Go to the the de-compression cable on the left side of the engine and follow the cable up and over to the right. The cable ends at the solenoid just under the frame back bone. Now go to the right side of the engine and on the centre of the solenoid will be a rubber cap. Pull it off and you will see a shaft in the centre. This is where you check the measurment. You have to squeeze the solenoid with your hand to make the shaft move outward and then you will make sense of this. With your right hand place your thumb on the solenoid near the centre where the shaft resides and with your index finger reach around the solenoid to the back plastic disc and squeeze together. This will force the shaft from the body and you can measure the distance travelled. Measure the distance from the brass boss protruding from the body (which secures the rubber cap) to the end of the shaft. The suggested measurment is 3mm to 5mm and I found you will get more lever travel if you adjust it to closer to 3mm. The adjustment is made back at the cable at the left side of the engine. There are two nuts on the cable. Loosen one then tighten the other to affect change. I hope this makes sense to you. Let me know how you made out or if you need further help.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 03/06/05 at 20:40:15

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Anyway, what besides this can cause the bike not to crank?  No spark - just the machine gun of the starter trying to work.  Just charged battery - checked and it's at 12 volts (but still could be bad I guess).

I'd make real sure it's a good battery, not flooded to the point of fluid lock, and had some spark.

Will the engine spin with the spark plug out? - if so is it blowing fluid out the hole? if you ground the side of the plug to the engine do you have a spark?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/07/05 at 12:43:00

Clean the battery terminals and cable ends, sounds like a bit of corosion from winter storage. Luck

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #4 - 03/07/05 at 15:10:58

Sorry Ed - I don't do 'winter storage'!

Thanks Bentwheel - don't know why Clymers didn't say solenoid in that part - would have made sense then.

Thanks Reelthing - Tried another battery - same issue.  That battery I know works since I put it back into my wife's Savage and it started up with no problem.  I also found that my battery would not start her bike.  So I'm charging another but will probably have to go get a new one.

It has no spark but yet, I don't expect one since it doesn't seem to want to turn over at all.  When I had the spark plug out looking for the spark, I never noticed the engine putting out any compression from the spark plug hole (wasn't looking for it mind you, just think I would have noticed it ).

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #5 - 03/07/05 at 15:38:32

Tom,

Answer me this,  How did you do the U turn to get the air filter that way, and what's that filter thing-a-mabob on the front of the cylinder?

It that just a piece of radiator hose, or what?

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #6 - 03/08/05 at 08:18:22

Grin  Sorry, that's classified!  If I tell, then I won't have the only Savage with one!  Hint: Think plumbing supplies.

The front thing-a-ma-bob is the filter for the engine - hose use to go to the airbox but since I'm not using the airbox (except to hold electronics), a filter is needed for it.  See Greg_650's post on pod filters.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 03/08/05 at 09:47:56

??? so does the starter spin the engine when the sparkplug is out?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 03/09/05 at 06:22:39

Yes the starter does spin the engine with the plug out, but put the cap on the plug and the plug to earth so as not to stress the ignition.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #9 - 03/09/05 at 07:57:40

Reelthing asked Quote:
so does the starter spin the engine when the sparkplug is out?

Clive answered Quote:
Yes the starter does spin the engine with the plug out, but put the cap on the plug and the plug to earth so as not to stress the ignition.

So my question is, Clive, when were you in my garage working on my bike?  And did you fix it?

Reelthing was asking if the starter is spinning the engine with the plug out when I'm trying to get my bike to crank, not if that actually happens on any bike.   Roll Eyes

And Reelthing, I don't have an answer yet - still haven't had a chance to work on it again.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 03/09/05 at 10:00:24

Just wondering - good way to eliminate the compress release - if it does not spin the L out of it with the plug out.... that would lead me in a different direction for sure

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #11 - 03/09/05 at 12:15:27

Thank you bentwheel

I also have a 1986 and that had me scraching my head
Mike

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #12 - 03/10/05 at 08:49:03

Okay, tried to crank with known good battery - same problem.

Removed starter - tried turning starter gear (internal to engine where starter motor slips into) with screwdriver.  No luck.  

Finally gave in to find something I could get the valve timing inspection cover off with.  Got it off.  Attempt to turn the alternator rotor bolt  and can't turn engine clockwise (starter motor not installed at this point) Can turn counter-clockwise.

When I had the left crankcase cover off - it turned either way no problem.

So what can be hanging it up?  

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #13 - 03/10/05 at 09:14:41

UPDATE:  Loosened the top left crankcase cover bolts - no change - can't turn clockwise.  Removed the left crankcase cover bolts holding it on - did not remove the cover, just the bolts.  And now I can turn the alternator rotor bolt clockwise/counterclockwise easily.  Didn't touch the cover (as in attempt to loosen it up to pull it off) - just removed all the bolts holding it.  

Will try putting bolts back in to see what happens as I tighten the left crankcase cover down.  First need to go get 17mm socket as it will be easier to do with it then using a wrench.  Off to Sears!

WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 03/10/05 at 09:36:55

In your initial post you said you previously had the engine apart. Did you take apart the internals from the Left side engine cover? If so I'm thinking perhaps the clutch starter set or the starter idle gears are not set properly under pressure when the case is bolted down.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.