Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression? (Read 27 times)
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression?
Reply #15 - 03/10/05 at 09:37:31

Good news - I already had a 17mm socket.

Bad news - just hand tightening the L/crankcase cover down causes something to make it impossible to turn the alternator  rotor bolt clockwise.

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #16 - 03/10/05 at 10:07:20

Found it (I think).  I replaced the alternator assy back when I first started tearing the bike apart to make all the changes I wanted to this 'winter'.  The replacement I have is off a 1986 Savage.  It's got one piece (the pulse generator) to it that is about 1/16 inch taller than a 1996.  It's hitting the gears causing them not to move at all.  Note the '86 is curved on top - the '96 is flat on top.  

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #17 - 03/10/05 at 10:50:36

Angry  ???  Angry That wasn't it.  I put my original in and I  still can not turn the alternator rotor bolt clockwise once the L/crankcase cover is on and it's bolts hand tightened.

Must have a slege hammer around here somewhere....

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 03/10/05 at 10:57:49

Ruh-roh... BFH treatment is good for stress but rarely achieves desired results.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #19 - 03/10/05 at 11:40:06

Grin Angry Grin Angry

Why am I happy and mad?

Cause it's working now but I don't know what the puck changed!!!!

I took it apart two more times and put it back together again - I was hoping to crank the heck out of it the first time and cause some kind of wear/scratch or something to show where it might be hanging.  Could not find a thing.

I put it back in the second time and walked away to have some lunch - didn't try cranking on the alternator rotor bolt.  Come back and it turns.  Tightened down all the crankcase bolts - it turns.  

No one else is here so it isn't like someone else found it.  I HATE it when this happens.  How do I know it won't start fouling up again.  I went ahead and took it back apart - put it together and it still works.  So I'm going to finish putting it all together, get on it and go riding tomorrow (of course, that's if everything else goes well I guess!).

AAAAARRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! Angry

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #20 - 03/10/05 at 16:05:06

And the luck continues.

Putting the exhaust header pipe on, another broken bolt (okay a stud but it's still broke).  Can't move it with vise grips so I drill it out.  Knock in a easy-out and the easy-out snaps off as I try to turn out the rest of the stud.

Anyone want to buy a used savage that use to ran really well, just leaked oil?

Is it possible to drill out an easy-out?  I always though those things were made so they wouldn't break (got to stop eating my Wheaties in the morning).

WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/10/05 at 16:18:42

You cant drill an easy out. Always use vise grips over an easy out, if you can get a grip on it. Youll need to heat it. Dont heat the stud but rather the part surrounding it. (heat = Expansion). I wont buy the bike but I'll take dibs on that seeger front end  Wink
good luck

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 03/10/05 at 16:53:34

I've had some success removing broken easy outs by getting a sharp punch and hammer and tapping on the busted easy out with the punch. Try to loosen it by tapping it and trying to unscrew it as you tap it. Use plenty of oil and some heat. They can be a pregnant dog to get out, Angry  luck on it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 03/10/05 at 18:32:27

Ever hear the old song they used to sing on "HE-HAW"........." if it were'nt for bad luck I'd have no luck at all".
Sorry man, but I just could not resist..
I will pray for you and your Savage, it has worked for me many times.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #24 - 03/10/05 at 20:40:37

Do you have an arc or wire feed welder. If so, find a nut that will just fit over the broken off stub. Weld the nut to the stub. It should turn out easily when it has cooled. The nut gives you someting to turn and the heat usually breaks the bond between the threads.  I read in a tech tip somehwere that paraffin or a candle held agains the warmed thread will be draw in a allow the part to free up.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #25 - 03/11/05 at 05:15:26

Thanks for the advice (and prayers)!  After posting I didn't bother to work on it - as I was ready to use the sledge on it.

Don't have a welder but heard the same advice on another board about welding a nut to it.  Will have to wait on this as I can't keep putting off other work to do this.  Guess it will be a ornament in the garage for awhile.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 03/11/05 at 10:29:39

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Sorry Ed - I don't do 'winter storage'!

snip....It has no spark but yet, I don't expect one since it doesn't seem to want to turn over at all.  When I had the spark plug out looking for the spark, I never noticed the engine putting out any compression from the spark plug hole (wasn't looking for it mind you, just think I would have noticed it ).

I just tuned into this topic.  Are you saying that you had the left cover off and now the engine won't turn at all with the starter or by hand?

If so, I may know what happened, cause it happened to me and in the process, I found the first "missing piece" of information in the Suzuki Service Manual  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 03/11/05 at 10:47:43

As I read further down, I see that you got it to turn over....before the broken stud, that is.  But just to continue with the first problem.  Was there any chance (since you don't know), that you put this washer on the wrong starter gear?  I know that when I pulled my cover off, this washer stuck to the cover ('cause of the oil) and then fell on the floor so that I had no idea where it actually went.  It isn't mentioned in the manual either, and as 50-50 chances go, I reinstalled it on the wrong gear shaft.  Result: locked starter.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #28 - 03/11/05 at 11:37:22

Greg - it's possible but I know it doesn't show in either Clymers or Suzuki's manuals - but it does show it on the microfiche (although it seems as if the gears are in the wrong place - either that or my gears are in the wrong place! Smiley )  I looked it up when I first took the cover off and it fell out afterwards - there is suppose to be two washers - one on each side of the gear.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 03/11/05 at 11:43:23

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Greg - it's possible but I know it doesn't show in either Clymers or Suzuki's manuals - but it does show it on the microfiche (although it seems as if the gears are in the wrong place - either that or my gears are in the wrong place! Smiley )  I looked it up when I first took the cover off and it fell out afterwards - there is suppose to be two washers - one on each side of the gear.

Yeah, but in my own little way of looking at it, I figured that one of the washers went on each gear.  Wrong.  And luckily, since the engine hadn't gotten hot, I was still able to save the cover gasket.....of course, since I had gotten to the point of pushing the starter button, there was a bunch of stuff to disassemble again.

Actually I have had two issues with that washer.  The second one is even more embarassing.  Wanna hear about it?
Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't crank - what besides Auto Decompression?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.