Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crash Bars/Engine Guards (Read 25 times)
dadorfman
Ex Member

Crash Bars/Engine Guards
02/23/05 at 16:59:57

If nothing else brands me as a newbie, this question is sure to do the job:  Where can I find crash bars/engine guards for an '87 Savage?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Crash Bars/Engine Guards
Reply #1 - 02/23/05 at 21:38:39

I like the Wingerline Highwaybar. It's fits perfectly and is not just ornamental like the Suzuki version.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/05 at 15:09:03

Thanks for the info.  I thought I had entered every variant of "crash bars" into Google, and this site did not come up.  I vote for naming standards!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/26/05 at 07:59:58

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I like the Wingerline Highwaybar. It's fits perfectly and is not just ornamental like the Suzuki version.

Hey, hey, hey.  Ornamental?  I have one and I think that it is a very nice little ornament   It fits the bike's style (even if there wasn't a lot of thought put into the design).

Besides the Savage engine is so narrow that little of it will hit the ground in a spill anyway...the footpegs probably do just as well as anything.  I know that mine did.  After all, we aren't talking about a Beamer or Goldwing with engine parts hanging out.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/26/05 at 08:02:18

dadorfman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Thanks for the info.  I thought I had entered every variant of "crash bars" into Google, and this site did not come up.  I vote for naming standards!!!

How about "engine crash roll-bar guard optional footpeg mount"?  Try that in a Google search  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/26/05 at 21:20:27

Quote:
Hey, hey, hey.  Ornamental?  I have one and I think that it is a very nice little ornament   It fits the bike's style (even if there wasn't a lot of thought put into the design).

I haven't actually seen one in person; just in photos.  However, when I was considering buying one, I saw a number of posts on several sites stating it was only ornamental and I think the Suzuki site used to say something to that effect.  Anyway, that's why I searched for another.  I found the Wingerline and it looked somewhat like I remember having on my KZ750, so I bought it and have been happy with it.  In fact, I don't really need foot pegs since I can just put my feet up on the bar.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/27/05 at 09:09:30

I haven't actually seen one in person; just in photos.  However, when I was considering buying one, I saw a number of posts on several sites stating it was only ornamental and I think the Suzuki site used to say something to that effect.  Anyway, that's why I searched for another.  I found the Wingerline and it looked somewhat like I remember having on my KZ750, so I bought it and have been happy with it.  In fact, I don't really need foot pegs since I can just put my feet up on the bar.

It is ornamental  Tongue  But then again there is little to protect, IMO.

IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/27/05 at 09:59:58

Suzuki might call them ornamental to protect themselves from lawsuits in the event of injuries.  I would bet they are no less functional than the Wingerline.

David

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/27/05 at 11:00:55

I just know that in my 1 spill on the Savage...where it slid on one side and flipped over to the other before stopping...that only the right footpeg, the muffler tip, the left rear turn signal, and the left side of the handle bar were damaged.  Not a scratch on any engine cases or tank, and that was without an engine guard.

Anything more like an impact with something would most likely do damage in proportion with speed, and then any engine guard is useless.  I imagine that only with engines that protrude outside the "frame envelope" will a guard be of any real benefit in a simple tipover or slide.

But what the hay, we gotta have our toys anyway  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 02/27/05 at 11:07:14

I kinda like something that extends a bit further out too.  It adds a bit more protection for my legs in a lay-down.  I know my highwaybar and hard bags did for me on my KZ750.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/27/05 at 11:16:16

I kinda like something that extends a bit further out too.  It adds a bit more protection for my legs in a lay-down.  I know my highwaybar and hard bags did for me on my KZ750.

Ah, but you got to remember that you never want to lay-down with your Savage (bike).  You should always get off that horse in a fall.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 02/27/05 at 14:41:38

I'd rather not lay it down at all but that's not always realistic - as I found with my KZ. I'd like to think that experience has taught me some things that would decrease the probability but I'm not quite arrogant enough to believe it won't ever happen. Getting off in time would be my preference but sometimes I don't always get things my way and I'd rather hedge my bets when I can...

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/28/05 at 05:07:20

Oh, don't I know.
Shocked

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 02/28/05 at 07:11:42

In my oppinion the bars are only for looks and a good place to mount highway pegs. If You have already decided to try them , go on eBay and put search words "Suzuki LS650 bars" or just "Suzuki ls650" . I saw a set there.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 03/02/05 at 07:44:34

I have the Suzuki guard. When I got it there was a sticker on the guard or the box that said something like "For Ornamental Use Only". I just pulled out my installation instructions and they say, "Warning. This item is meant as an appearance enhancer only and does not provide any protection in a crash for the bike or rider".

As Greg points out, the engine is not the piece on the bike that sticks out the most so if you go down it probably is not in danger anyway. I've gone down three times (twice at low speeds and once at about 20 mph) and neither the engine or the engine guard was ever affected. Just the pipe, footpeg, mirrors, handlebars, tank (from the handlebar) and windshield. All the damage was pretty minor (mostly scratches) although I did break and have to replace my windshield.

Buy the guard for the way it looks or for a place to rest your feet. You don't need it for the engine...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crash Bars/Engine Guards

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!