Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort (Read 5205 times)
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort
02/20/05 at 11:36:54

Not to be disssing you Savagethumper, i hope u can forgive me  Wink
Jon has a realy good tutorial on that mod, i think it looks a bit more well done !

http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Tips___Tricks/tips___tricks.htm

and there is quite a few good hints and tips there !

« Last Edit: 03/19/20 at 16:14:21 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Seat lift
Reply #1 - 05/19/05 at 19:08:13

Replaced the faucet washers with #7 stoppers from Lowes, drilled with a 1/4 inch bit to accomodate the 6mm bolts.  The white pads are a stick-on furniture foot, about 3/4 inch thick, cut in half to support the middle of the seat.  (pardon the GS1000 in the background)

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/05 at 11:08:35

Did it today too.  I used M6 x 55 bolts and a #7 black stopper drilled with a 1/4 inch hole as another poster suggested.  $4.48 in parts and 15 minutes to do it.  Have not had it out for a ride yet, but even sitting on the bike there is a noticeable difference.

Next I may attempt to drill the stock muffler baffle.

Miles

IP Logged
loopedguru
YaBB Newbies

Trying to give up my
cage 1 mile at a
time

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #3 - 07/15/06 at 15:24:36

Did it today except I used M6 x 60 bolts and a #7 black stopper drilled with a 1/4 inch hole as suggested.

98 LS650 Orange, 2001 miles and putting it on the road 6/26/06
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #4 - 09/21/06 at 11:26:48

Just did the seat mod.  Works like a charm.  used M6 bolts x 50mm and about an inch worth of nylon spacers.  very comfortable ride.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #5 - 08/02/08 at 16:25:55

thanks seat raise worked great for me..

i used two thick rubber bushings...

i went ahead and recovered m seat also and added some foam and height...

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 07/30/09 at 01:02:57

Tonydtiger1971 wrote on 07/27/09 at 19:57:51:
Those look cool, Working in a metal fabrication shop I may try some stainless steel risers.  How easy is it to get the seat off?  New to the modifying business, but I'm getting ready to add hwy bars from a different bike too.

One 10mm socket w/extension, one 5mm allen wrench (I think those are the right sizes, going off my slightly flawed memory here  Undecided), and about 1 minute of time.  It's real simple, at least on my '08.  One allen head bolt at the rear of the seat, two 10mm bolts on either side about halfway up, then just pick up the rear of the seat; the front has a hook on the bottom of the seat pan that fits under the bracket that will get lifted up.  Easy peasy! Wink  I was going to have a guy at work mill me up a taller aluminum bracket to replace the stock one, but just heard he got fired.  Dangit! Angry
Oh, and here's a pic of my version of the mod, 1" nylon spacers, with longer bolts.  Should've gone 2", but still have plans to make up some kinda complete replacement for the bracket.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/20/09 at 22:49:58

Anyone tried this with the later S40 one-piece seat?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #8 - 08/20/09 at 23:39:44

Yeah it still works, but you don't want to flex the seat too much. Shim the rubber support points with thicker shims the closer you get to the tank.  I like the way the rubber supports have a sort of "tread" on the bottom and those plugs that stick into the seat pan.  So I sliced them horizontally, added wooden shims and glued them back together.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 08/21/09 at 00:08:42

JustPassinThru wrote on 08/20/09 at 22:49:58:
Anyone tried this with the later S40 one-piece seat?

Actually, my post on the previous page was on an '08 S40 with the one piece.  And as Boule'tard said, you probably wouldn't want to flex it too much, at least cold, although I suspect that if you can flex it enough without damage, eventually it would conform to that angle. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
nodnarbing
YaBB Newbies

Jacksonville, Fl
Reply #10 - 02/06/12 at 09:21:17

Just did this yesterday with the #7 stoppers and the 6x50mm hex heads...WOW what a difference, and it took 3 minutes.

Thanks for this great idea!

98, dyna muff, iridium sparky, raptor, more to come
  IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #11 - 05/11/14 at 07:32:53

bobo383 wrote on 05/19/05 at 19:08:13:
Replaced the faucet washers with #7 stoppers from Lowes, drilled with a 1/4 inch bit to accomodate the 6mm bolts.  The white pads are a stick-on furniture foot, about 3/4 inch thick, cut in half to support the middle of the seat.  (pardon the GS1000 in the background) http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/savageseatmod.jpg

I just tried this. #7 stoppers and M6x50 bolts. I can't believe the difference. I didn't think there would be much but for $5.00 I figured I would try. Now what about the supports in the middle? Do I need them? Is everyone using them? Thanks.

« Last Edit: 05/27/14 at 07:06:39 by eruby »  

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/02/14 at 15:26:13

eruby wrote on 05/11/14 at 07:32:53:
I just tried this. #7 stoppers and M6x50 bolts. I can't believe the difference. I didn't think there would be much but for $5.00 I figured I would try. Now what about the supports in the middle? Do I need them? Is everyone using them? Thanks.

Same question here.  Mine's an '08 and it looks like there's a bunch of other support spots under there you would need to boost up, too, if you lift the front.  I saw the earlier post stating it was done on an '08 but it doesn't seem like a great idea to leave the middle of the seat floating in the air.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort
Reply #13 - 06/02/14 at 18:28:57

More than likely when you sit down it will even itself out.  I used some rolled up bicycle inner tube on one spot to give it a little support.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort
Reply #14 - 06/04/14 at 17:59:38

On my '08, I cut up an old rubber bungee strap and used silicone to glue it to the frame.  The middle of the seat rests on the straps.  The seat is supported in all the right locations.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:00:59

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.