Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
how to remove melted plastic (Read 734 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

how to remove melted plastic
02/21/05 at 11:25:24

Any ideas how remove melted plastic from my exhaust header. I tried all kinds of chemicals, chrome cleaner & I even tried heating it up and scraping it off. Nothing seems to work.

Subject title edited by Susan 2/21/05

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 12:58:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Michael

Re: how to ?
Reply #1 - 02/21/05 at 12:16:32

Nightrain:

Easy off oven cleaner will make it slide off no prob......heat up engine, then let cool for a few minutes..spray on, making sure to shield paint and any other part of the bike with newspaper, as this stuff is corrosive.....
.after a few hours the crud will slide right off....what doesn't, should with a second treatment....I used a popsicle stick as a scraper, as the soft wood will not marr the chrome..WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AS THIS STUFF BURNS LIKE HE**

.I managed to get melted rubber, nylon and plastic off my exhaust, in a jiffy, using this method, when i thought i would never get it off.....tried everything, and then read that tip, on this forum. It really works......good luck, and let us know how it goes..............cheeres

Michael

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: how to ?
Reply #2 - 02/21/05 at 13:03:54

Never thought to use oven cleaner. Probably becuause in my 31 years, I dont think I've ever cleaned an oven. Except for the toaster oven. I'll give it a try.

Muchas Gracias  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: how to remove melted plastic
Reply #3 - 07/15/05 at 11:03:35

Okay.  I've heard of all these cleaners and polishes.  I've known people to even use abrasives, because people always think it takes something special.  But the way to remove anything melted on your pipe is possibly already in your toolbox

A simple single edge razor blade!

"Nuf said?  No?  Okay.  Hold the razor against the chrome at an angle nearly equal to the sharp edge on the blade (10 degrees or so?)  Not parallel anyway.  Now scrape lightly on the edge of the melted gunk and watch it come right off.

The fine hard edge on the razor blade will cut the stuff off the chrome and because you have it at such a shallow angle it won't scratch the chrome.  Finish the job with a cleaner wax and ride....

IP Logged
SavageBiker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/06 at 18:29:45

I forgot where I read about it but using a nickel (yes, a $0.05 coin) on a hot exhaust will remove shoe rubber and just about anything else that you unintentionally melted on your bike.

At first I didn't believe it but I tried everything else and nothing worked so I had nothing to lose.  Apparently, the metal in the coin is softer than the chrome so it doesn't scratch.  Worked like a charm for me - it even removed burnt on dress pants that were scortched when I filled up on my way home from work one day.  

Oh yeah, be careful not to get burned by the exhaust or the nickel, the coin heats up quickly.

IP Logged
Homey237
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 13:38:59

After trying Flitz, Brasso, oven cleaner, paint stripper that really did a marginal job and took a lot of time doing I used my "propane" hobby torch and a "copper" scrubber (similar to steel wool pads).  Heating it from the outside was easier than heating up the exhaust by running the bike.  When the melted material got soft I ran the copper scrub pad along the melted material and it "grabbed" the material and hung on to it.

Make sure you rotate the pad a bit so the trapped material doesn't get melted back on to the exhaust.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 08/18/07 at 14:22:56

try laquer thinner Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/31/07 at 09:48:46

I just "did it" again, and melted my rain pants.  Angry  Fortunately el cheapo's.
So, decided to try something new.  Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner.  Worked great on the heat shield and the muffler!   Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
Reply #8 - 09/23/08 at 17:57:33

I Had a plastic grocery store bag blow into my hot pipe.....what a mess!!  After trying many things, we used a torch to heat the pipe (which was still hot) and used a rag to rub off the plastic as it remelted....looks like new & was fast and easy!!!!

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #9 - 11/24/08 at 17:53:00

I've heard that this stuff called Blue Job which is a chrome polish that removes blueing is supposed to take stuff like melted plastic off. You give that a try. www.blue-job.com

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 12/20/08 at 13:45:11

Correct blue job works magic, but plastics removes easer with easy-off ovencleaner on a hot pipe, let sit 20 minutes and wipe off. See http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/_Motorcycle-Exhaust-Problems-Tip-of-t... and tip of the week

« Last Edit: 12/23/08 at 14:50:01 by vtail »  

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
yvrsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/03/09 at 23:22:36

I got melted plastic on my Savage the other day. Used a propane torch lightly heat it and use a wire brush to brush it off.  After cooling I use steel wool with metal polish .Wipe with rag after wards , just like new.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 02/11/09 at 19:47:46

Seth C. wrote on 02/11/09 at 13:02:23:
I have the same problem. get this I called the HD dealer in the area and he said they have a "secret" and "he couldn't tell me or he could loose his job". LMAO I think I'll try the Easy-Off. I'll let you know how it works.

The Easy-Off worked good for me.  I was told to use the cold-oven formula:

Easy-Off Fume Free Max

I don't have any experience with any other variety of Easy-Off, all I can say is that the one in this link worked fine for me.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/14/09 at 09:28:30

Everyone has a magic method they use, but I thought I would back up one I saw already posted, as I know it works.  The nickel.  Yup.  I used a pair of vise grips to hold it, as, yeah, it does get hot.  But it works like a charm and doesn't scratch the chrome.  Best part about it?  Costs 5 cents. Wink

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
ODSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/04/09 at 09:58:30

I used a single edge razor myself and it worked just fine. If it happens again I will try the nickel trick.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:35:09

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › how to remove melted plastic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.