Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Member with a problem (Read 8 times)
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: New Member with a problem
Reply #15 - 02/19/05 at 06:54:10

[glow=red,2,300]But why the leaking out of the vent lines? (how do you pull a quote out in the blue text box?) [/glow]

I had several fuel issues with my 98 Savage.  I bought it in 2004, after it sat for several years.  It still had tags on it that expired in 99.  So my story is not typical of one that's ridden regularly.

I had the petc0ck problem, described in an earlier post.  fixed that.  Also had a float headache with my Savage.  The float height was ok, the rubber float needle tip looked good, but the o-ring around the brass valve was in bad shape.  "That's it", I thought.  I replaced it with an o-ring from my Holley parts box, but the bike still flooded.  

I started increasing the float height (distance from the carb body gasket seat), and finally found a spot where it quit flooding with the float nearly 2" down from the gasket unassembled - right against the stop for the maximum float travel.  Can't go any further than that without cutting the brass float.  It worked great, no flooding, but it was not really something I was proud of.  I was compressing the spring in the needle tip all the way for the valve to work.

When I took the bike apart for painting and fixing the cap/plug oil leak, I bit the bullet and bought a new needle valve assembly from a New Zealand eBay member ($18 I think).  When the new one arrived, i compared it to the old one.  The spring in the spring-loaded needle was waaaaaay stronger in the new one.  The new one works at the correct float height - about 1.1 inch measured with my dial caliper depth guage, just like the manual says it's supposed to.

I can only figure the spring in my needle went weak (hard to believe, but possible), or a previous wrencher put the wrong assembly in.  But I'm happy now.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 02/19/05 at 07:12:49

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
[glow=red,2,300]But why the leaking out of the vent lines? (how do you pull a quote out in the blue text box?) [/glow]

I had several fuel issues with my 98 Savage.  I bought it in 2004, after it sat for several years.  It still had tags on it that expired in 99.  So my story is not typical of one that's ridden regularly.

I had the petc0ck problem, described in an earlier post.  fixed that.  Also had a float headache with my Savage.  The float height was ok, the rubber float needle tip looked good, but the o-ring around the brass valve was in bad shape.  "That's it", I thought.  I replaced it with an o-ring from my Holley parts box, but the bike still flooded.  

I started increasing the float height (distance from the carb body gasket seat), and finally found a spot where it quit flooding with the float nearly 2" down from the gasket unassembled - right against the stop for the maximum float travel.  Can't go any further than that without cutting the brass float.  It worked great, no flooding, but it was not really something I was proud of.  I was compressing the spring in the needle tip all the way for the valve to work.

When I took the bike apart for painting and fixing the cap/plug oil leak, I bit the bullet and bought a new needle valve assembly from a New Zealand eBay member ($18 I think).  When the new one arrived, i compared it to the old one.  The spring in the spring-loaded needle was waaaaaay stronger in the new one.  The new one works at the correct float height - about 1.1 inch measured with my dial caliper depth guage, just like the manual says it's supposed to.

I can only figure the spring in my needle went weak (hard to believe, but possible), or a previous wrencher put the wrong assembly in.  But I'm happy now.

First of all, just click on "quote" to quote someone....you can also edit the text too as long as you leave the tags in place.

So you still think this is a float problem too?  So do I, but since he has checked the float, it has me wondering.  

Still, there is really only one reason for an overflowing carb.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #17 - 02/19/05 at 07:33:07

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
So you still think this is a float problem too?  So do I, but since he has checked the float, it has me wondering.  

Still, there is really only one reason for an overflowing carb.

Thanks for the quote tip!  

I'm with you - if the diaphragm is not leaking fuel to the intake, there's only one other way for the fuel to get in.

I had checked my float, too, several times.  I even took the float bowl off, turned on the gas, and worked the float to see where the fuel actually stopped coming out.  I watched the float valve cut off fuel flow at about horizontal.  Of course there were still drips, but I thought that was from all the parts being wet with fuel.

When I played with the float level and it finally stopped flooding at an unreasonable float height, that got me thinking the spring was not strong enough anymore to adequately close off the flow against the vibration with the bike running.  Replacing it made the problem go away.

I would have lost money betting the Suzuki float valve was good.  

You know what that frustration is like, I know everybody's been there.  I thought I was an educated guy.  I'm a physicist by education and engineer by trade.  I've been working on old cars for years.  I would have lost money betting the Suzuki float valve was good.  

The more I learn, the more I don't know.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #18 - 02/19/05 at 08:08:21

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

Bobo,
I thought the same thing you mentioned about the o-ring that goes around the brass valve.  Mine was completely shot. I was really hoping that the o-ring was the cause of all the problems.  It wasn't.  Sad Oh well... one less thing to worrry about.

You also mentioned about a spring in the float needle valve assembly. I don't have one on my bike. I checked the online microfiche at ronayers.com  [ http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group... ] and it doesn't show a spring. Since my bike's an '88, maybe they've made an improvement.  Can you explain where the spring is on your float needle valve assembly? Thanks!

--"Still-trying-to-fix-my-bike" Jazzdude

rmgray2001   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #19 - 02/19/05 at 08:23:52

When You take a look at the Fuel valve- it consists of 2 aluminum parts and the diaphragm is inbetween. The smaller  Al  part is in the back and the vac. hose is attachet to it. The spring is between  this Alum. part and the diaphragm. In Your case probably the diaphragm is stuck to the metal part and You are taking it out like one whole piece. If You pull it apart You will probably find the spring.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #20 - 02/19/05 at 16:39:59

Jazzdude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
You also mentioned about a spring in the float needle valve assembly. I don't have one on my bike. I checked the online microfiche at ronayers.com  [ http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group... ] and it doesn't show a spring. Since my bike's an '88, maybe they've made an improvement.  Can you explain where the spring is on your float needle valve assembly? Thanks!

--"Still-trying-to-fix-my-bike" Jazzdude

Bobo,
I re-read your message and realized that you were talking about the spring on the needle valve, not a spring on the float needle valve.  My mistake.

Do you think that Suzuki [or Mikuni] changed the tension on the spring or, as you mentioned, someone put in the wrong assembly?

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #21 - 02/27/05 at 22:51:11

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
When You take a look at the Fuel valve- it consists of 2 aluminum parts and the diaphragm is inbetween. The smaller  Al  part is in the back and the vac. hose is attachet to it. The spring is between  this Alum. part and the diaphragm. In Your case probably the diaphragm is stuck to the metal part and You are taking it out like one whole piece. If You pull it apart You will probably find the spring.

I found it.  Thanks for the info, Slavy.

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #22 - 02/27/05 at 23:17:14

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Yep.  Fuel in a vacuum hose is not correct.  That does explain why the petc0ck is behaving funny, and would explain why the bike runs poorly in the ON position.  You're getting raw fuel directly into the engine intake.

But why the leaking out of the vent lines?
In the course of removing the fuel valve assembly for further testing of the vacuum diaphragm, I put a clear plastic fuel filter inline, put the petc0ck in the PRI position, and drained the tank into a gas can. I decided to check out the vacuum diaphragm while it was draining by connecting a piece of hose to the fuel valve and sucked on it to create the vacuum.  I put the petc0ck in the ON position, added the vacuum and, most of the time, just barely got a trickle.  Same thing with PRI. I came to the conclusion that my petc0ck assembly is really messed up. I had to fuss with it in order to get a decent flow even in the PRI position with no vacuum. So... I think a replacement will cure the stalling problem and hopefully will cure the "overflow-at-idle" problem, too.  I'll find out soon enough.

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #23 - 03/21/05 at 23:16:27

My problem's finally resolved.  I ordered a new fuel valve assembly from ronayers.com and installed it a couple of days ago.  The bike's running fine with no more problems of running rough and stalling out.  Also, the "fuel-flow-out-of-the-vent-tube" problem has also been corrected.  I still don't know why that happened.  ???  Now... if it would stop raining enough to get a decent ride in...

rmgray2001   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #24 - 03/21/05 at 23:37:15

glad things worked out for you.

send the old one to bobo i believe he as adapted one to be the old fashioned way. off, run, reserve.

using one that way cuts out the vaccum can lead to overflow if you float sticks.  some claim it can fill the engine yet from my experience all it's ever done to me is flow on the ground. which i admit is not a great thing.

if you send it he can then modify it and post pics for us to use.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 03/23/05 at 05:09:34

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
<snip>  some claim it can fill the engine yet from my experience all it's ever done to me is flow on the ground. which i admit is not a great thing.

Believe it or not, I had that happen with my old Westfalia VW camper.  With the camper's gas tank physically located above the engine, VW used electronic fuel shut-off valves on each of the carbs to turn off the gas when the engine is off.  

Something malfunctioned in this system at close zero degrees in northern Vermont, and I ended up with the engine filled with gas all the way to the top of the dipstick....the entire crankcase, washed all the bearings clean, and locked the engine solid.

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #26 - 03/23/05 at 21:17:38

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
send the old one to bobo i believe he as adapted one to be the old fashioned way. off, run, reserve.

Thanks for the idea, Sluggo.  Unfortunately, I tossed in the trash and today was trash day.  Sad

My next problem to tackle with the bike is the infamous oil leak plug.  I thought I'd just keep an eye on it when it started. Now it's time to fix it!

rmgray2001   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #27 - 03/24/05 at 06:35:42

I must have de-activated the email feature, sorry about that.  I'm catching up on the reading....

That needle valve drove me nuts till I just broke down & replaced it with a new one and the flooding problem disappeared.  

Of course, I had already converted the petc0ck to manual (on/off/reserve) by that time and eliminated the fuel in the vac hose.

Please send an old petc0ck if you have one.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:53:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member with a problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.