Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Member with a problem (Read 8 times)
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
New Member with a problem
02/16/05 at 21:21:38

Hi all...

Great site here!  I just found it a few days ago and have enjoying reading the posts.

I've got a fuel problem that I wrote about over on Bert Heise's forum.  Thanks to all that have responded and helped out.  Unfortunately, the problem still exists...  Sad

I've got an '88 Savage and whenever I start the bike [with the petc0ck in the ON position], it runs goods for about 30 seconds and then it slowly dies out. At the same time, fuel comes out of the left tube. If I give it more gas before it dies [ie. increase the RPMs], then the gas doesn't spill out. With the petc0ck in the PRI position, the bike starts and runs fine with no problems.  These are the things I've done so far:

1. Overhauled the carb
2. Replaced the fuel line from the petc0ck to the carb
3. Checked the float and the float valve needle... 3 times
4. Checked the fuel petc0ck
5. Checked the vacuum line from the fuel valve to the carb
6. Checked the vacuum unit
7. Removed the vacuum unit from the fuel valve assembly and check the diaphragm
8. Drained the tank, removed the petc0ck and checked the built-in fuel filter
9. Started the bike with and without the gas cap

A few days ago, I increased the idle speed a bit thinking that since whenever I gave it a bit more gas, the fuel didn't spill out.  Naturally, it idled faster and the bike ran great.  I rode for about 10 miles with no problem [with the petc0ck in the ON position]. At every stop sign and stop light, I was checking for any spill fuel. There wasn't any. I lowered the idle speed a touch because I found out that once I get up to speed in 1st gear, the idle speed was moving me along at 13 mph on a level road with no input from the throttle!  Smiley  I think that was a little too much idle!

Does anyone have any other ideas that I could try?  ??? Is it possible that the idle screw can loosen up over time and lower my idle speed? Also, could the main  diaphragm in the carb have a small leak that might cause these symptoms? I checked it out thoroughly when I had it apart.

Thanks!

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: New Member with a problem
Reply #1 - 02/16/05 at 22:14:39

Quote:
There wasn't any. I lowered the idle speed a touch because I found out that once I get up to speed in 1st gear, the idle speed was moving me along at 13 mph on a level road with no input from the throttle!    I think that was a little too much idle!

That sounds about right.  Remember this isn't an automatic transmission.  Mine idles cold at 1000rpm and idles hot at 1200 rpm.  That is normal idle speed. With gear 1 engaged, I roll along at 10-12 mph.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #2 - 02/16/05 at 22:33:09

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That sounds about right.  Remember this isn't an automatic transmission.  Mine idles cold at 1000rpm and idles hot at 1200 rpm.  That is normal idle speed. With gear 1 engaged, I roll along at 10-12 mph.

Well... maybe a lower than normal idle speed's been my problem all along! I'll definitely check that out as soon as I can get hold of a portable tachometer.

rmgray2001   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/17/05 at 08:04:58

NO,
at any idle speed the carb. is not supposed to overflow.
You have some weird problem, that sounds like the float valve is not sealing perfectly /the only thing is the  carb. is working fine in PRI wich doesn't make any sense/. The idle speed by spec. is supposed to be
1000-1200 RPM.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #4 - 02/17/05 at 23:13:30

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
You have some weird problem, that sounds like the float valve is not sealing perfectly

That's what I thought about, also.  But think of this scenario:  the bike runs fine with the petc0ck on PRI.  Gas is constantly flowing to the carb. The float is working correctly or the carb would be flooded all the time and most likely, gas would be spilling out of the carb through the vent tube.

>/the only thing is the  carb. is working fine in PRI wich doesn't make any sense/. <

You got that right, Slavy!  Smiley

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/18/05 at 08:29:30

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
NO,
at any idle speed the carb. is not supposed to overflow.
You have some weird problem, that sounds like the float valve is not sealing perfectly /the only thing is the  carb. is working fine in PRI wich doesn't make any sense/. The idle speed by spec. is supposed to be
1000-1200 RPM.

Exactly!  In fact it sounds like 2 problems.  If it overflows, you have a float problem.  Either the float valve is screwed up or the float level is set way to high.  Sitting on the sidestand, the left side is the low side, and it will overflow there first.

As for the ON vs. PRI position of the petc0ck....is this the way you are doing it?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/18/05 at 08:38:52

BTW - I just found out that the "censor/ filters" for this site won't allow a picture of a petc0ck that is spelled correctly.  I had to change the spelling for the JPEG too  Tongue

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #7 - 02/18/05 at 21:37:04

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
As for the ON vs. PRI position of the petc0ck....is this the way you are doing it?

Hi Greg,

How the pic shows is how I've been running it before the problems started.  Yes, the bike runs normal with the petc0ck in the PRI position but I don't feel comfortable leaving it there while riding. It just cures the symptoms, not the cause of why I have to run it in PRI.

I've checked the floats during the carb overhaul by visually inspecting the floats for any corrosion, pinholes, or cracks, shaking the floats and listening for any gas sloshing inside, and floating the floats in a bowl of water to make sure they float level.  When I disassembled the float and needle, I made sure I didn't bend the tang on the float assembly or anything else because the bike was running fine before.

I've checked the float valve needle for any ridge(s) worn in the point by the seat, clean the needle seat during the cleaning process, and used an air compressor to dry the seat, and visually inspected the seat for any crud.

Did I miss anything in the cleaning, inspection, and assembly process?

Thanks for your help and also... thanks for the "oil plug leak" pics. That's my next project!   Smiley

--Rick

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #8 - 02/18/05 at 22:19:56

While working on this problem, and since the bike's an '88 and probably still has the original hoses, I decided to replace the vacuum line from the petc0ck to the carb. I couldn't find any leaks when I checked it before so I pretty much ruled out the hose as the problem. So I took off the vacuum hose and decided to split both ends and look in the hose for anything unusual. I found fuel inside the hose at the petco0ck end which leads me to believe I've got a small leak in the vacuum unit on the petc0ck.  Ron Ayers here I come!

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #9 - 02/18/05 at 22:22:00

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
BTW - I just found out that the "censor/ filters" for this site won't allow a picture of a petc0ck that is spelled correctly.  I had to change the spelling for the JPEG too  Tongue

Bizarre. Oh well... there are ways around the censors!! Grin

rmgray2001   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 02/19/05 at 02:36:08

Intersting guys ... thought I read somewhere that there is a way to retrofit the Savage's vacuum operated petkock so that it operates like a standard unit with "Off", "On" & "Res" positions ... however, didn't read how this could be accomplished ... any ideas how this could be done? Any benefit to performing that mod?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 02/19/05 at 04:31:36

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Intersting guys ... thought I read somewhere that there is a way to retrofit the Savage's vacuum operated petkock so that it operates like a standard unit with "Off", "On" & "Res" positions ... however, didn't read how this could be accomplished ... any ideas how this could be done? Any benefit to performing that mod?

here's a link to bobo's post on the subject
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Market;action=display;num=11079...

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/19/05 at 06:24:36

Jazzdude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hi Greg,

How the pic shows is how I've been running it before the problems started.  Yes, the bike runs normal with the petc0ck in the PRI position but I don't feel comfortable leaving it there while riding. It just cures the symptoms, not the cause of why I have to run it in PRI.

I've checked the floats during the carb overhaul by visually inspecting the floats for any corrosion, pinholes, or cracks, shaking the floats and listening for any gas sloshing inside, and floating the floats in a bowl of water to make sure they float level.  When I disassembled the float and needle, I made sure I didn't bend the tang on the float assembly or anything else because the bike was running fine before.

I've checked the float valve needle for any ridge(s) worn in the point by the seat, clean the needle seat during the cleaning process, and used an air compressor to dry the seat, and visually inspected the seat for any crud.

Did I miss anything in the cleaning, inspection, and assembly process?

Thanks for your help and also... thanks for the "oil plug leak" pics. That's my next project!   Smiley

--Rick

The only thing that I could imagine would be to actually measure the float distance when the needle is seated.  I usually just "eyeball" that and use a little common sense about the float level.  Usually if the float bracket is horizontal, the float height is good.  If you looked at it, and it seemed right, then it is probably good.  Seems like your other checks are thorough enough too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 02/19/05 at 06:28:05

Jazzdude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
While working on this problem, and since the bike's an '88 and probably still has the original hoses, I decided to replace the vacuum line from the petc0ck to the carb. I couldn't find any leaks when I checked it before so I pretty much ruled out the hose as the problem. So I took off the vacuum hose and decided to split both ends and look in the hose for anything unusual. I found fuel inside the hose at the petco0ck end which leads me to believe I've got a small leak in the vacuum unit on the petc0ck.  Ron Ayers here I come!

Yep.  Fuel in a vacuum hose is not correct.  That does explain why the petc0ck is behaving funny, and would explain why the bike runs poorly in the ON position.  You're getting raw fuel directly into the engine intake.

But why the leaking out of the vent lines?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #14 - 02/19/05 at 06:29:35

I converted my petc0ck to manual after the vac diaghrpagm started leaking fuel into the intake through the vac line.  Once you disassemble the petc0ck and figure out how it works, it's pretty straight forward.  You'll be deleting the vac diaphragm and a couple springs (ON all the time at this point), and then plugging off one of the holes in the little white plastic valve cone that goes up the middle (to give you an "OFF").

Line up the plugged hole where it corresponds to the "PRI", and now that's off.  "RES" and "ON" now work like a dirt bike/atv/old harley.

If you want to send it to me, I'll do it for you, photo the deal, and put in on the tech section.  Mine is already done so it would be hard to show you what to delete - it's in the trash already.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:45:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member with a problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.