Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cast or Alloy Wheels Available? (Read 28 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Cast or Alloy Wheels Available?
11/25/04 at 14:37:58

8)Watchin all those Bike Buildin' shows on the Tube of late got me thinkin' ... anyone know of a Savage/S40 that has been modified with cast or allow wheels to repalce the original spoked ones? Are any available to fit the Savage? I've never heard of any, nor have I seen any pics of a Savage so equipped ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Re: Cast or Alloy Wheels Available?
Reply #1 - 11/25/04 at 20:20:29

I haven't looked specifically for the savage but any bike wheels I could find were nearly half the price of the savage itself.  Its cheaper to buy a set of 4 light weight wheels for a car than to buy a pair of motorcycle wheels.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #2 - 11/26/04 at 07:25:24

Quote:
anyone know of a Savage/S40 that has been modified with cast or allow wheels to repalce the original spoked ones?
Never have seen ANY pics of a Savage with anything but original wheels.

Quote:
Are any available to fit the Savage?
No one makes them readily avaliable like on other bikes.  I've written some sites and they state it isn't worth it to them or to the customer to build it.  Even on sites which have the correct size wheel, won't state that it would fit a Savage.

Some of the fun I've had researching (most of the research done over a year ago):
RC Components (http://www.rccomponents.com/wheelgallery.htm)
Wrote them an email - they stated they had nothing that fit the Savage - gave them specs on Savage wheel and some of their wheels match those specs but they stated they could not confirm that they would fit and that the rotor is on the wrong side.  When asked if the wheel could be mounted so the rotor was on the left, they did not answer (I asked about the wheel itself - would it matter (like in tires - there is an arrow showing which way it's suppose to be mounted (spin) - RC would not answer if mounting their wheels the wrong way (and thus putting the rotor on the left side) would matter - I would guess that it would not matter but then again, who wants to spend that much $$$ to find out).

Coyote Customs: ([url]http://www.coyotecustoms.com/[/url) They took a customer's Intruder 700 and customized it.  The thing is, there are no wheels for the 700 - only the newer models.  I wrote them and asked them how they did it - they took the wheels (which were the same size) for a 1400 Intruder and manufactured the needed spacers to make it work.  (Unfortunately, the pics they had of this bike are no longer on their web site).  But, this showed it could be done.  Again, the rotor was on the correct side for the Intruder, so the question of the cast wheel turning the wrong way had not yet been answered.

Went to a new shop that opened in town - asked the question about the cast wheel - can it be mounted 'backwards' to put the rotor on the left and then just mount the tire on the wheel so it's arrow still pointed in the correct spin direction.  Yada, yada, yada, not sure, but would be happy to give you a discount on a RC wheel for you to try it.  When pushed, the 'salescanic' got a more knowledgeble fellow from the back.  He stated he wouldn't try it only because to get just the right setup would be a bear - spacers for the wheel, the rotor, getting all the componets exactly where they needed to be.

So, another couple of months go by...I find a HD front wheel is the same size as our Savage (2.15 X 19).  And it has mounts for a rotor on both sides.  So I go on E-Bay and get one.  Bearing sizes are different.  And that's where I am on my search.  One day I'll find the time to see if either a different bearing has the correct inside diameter to fit the Savage axle and the outside diameter to fit the HD wheel.  If so, then it would be only the problem of spacers for the rotor (the one off the Savage won't work unless it could have new holes drilled to fit the 5-hole setup of the HD wheel - probably easier to put a HD rotor on it and spacer it out....but then is that too big to fit inside the space for where it would fit into the disc pads...)

So you can see why you don't see Savages with cast or alloy wheels.  If you find some more information, please post it - help us all come closer to gaining the holy grail of alloy wheels!

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 11/26/04 at 08:17:33

8)Wow hoghunter ... that kinda explains it all! Still surprized that someone, somewhere hasn't done it though ... I think that a Savage modified to include allow or cast wheels would look awesome! Hey maybe if we all e-mail the guys at OCC they'd do a Savage for their show Wink

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 14:06:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cast or Alloy Wheels Available?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.