Send Topic Print
Today I am Legal! (Read 3 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Today I am Legal!
11/20/04 at 10:17:02

August 15th, 2004: Became the owner of a used 2000 Savage.
September 23rd, 25th, 30th, and October 2nd: MSF basic rider course.  Passed perfect.
October 8th: MSF certificate arrives in mail.
October 12th: California DMV, Torrance - pass the written, waive the driving, fail the vision.

I had eye surgery in or around 1974 and I cannot read with my left eye.  My peripheral is excellent -- I can see light/movement nearly 180 degrees -- probably helped by the 10 degree outward drift of my now lazy left eye.

Anyhow, I had to get a waiver signed by my eye doctor.  He did.  But when I took it back it wasn't good enough so I had to schedule a Vision Driving Test.  Which I did, for 8am today down in San Pedro.  Office opened at 8am, I was second in line for the 8am appointments.  The gentleman at the counter queried me -- yes, I've been driving like this for 30 years, yes the DMV has waived me every renewal, yes I work for Pacific Bell and drive on the job (and thus take bi-annual referesher driver safety courses and pass much more strigent requirements and testing than the DMV.)

Ended up I did not need the test (why waste both of our time!) and I am now the holder of a Class C and M1 license.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael

Re: Today I am Legal!
Reply #1 - 11/20/04 at 11:18:17

Paladin

Well done!! Feels good doesn't it?

cheers....Michael

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 11/20/04 at 13:58:19

Congrats! Smiley

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 11/22/04 at 12:43:47

paladin, YAY!

and gitarzan i am stealing your sig gif.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 11/22/04 at 13:50:42

Congratulations!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #5 - 11/23/04 at 05:14:23

Congradulations!  Grin

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 11/23/04 at 06:28:31

Wow you really had to jump through some hoops to get that license.  Congratulations! Now you should go celebrate by doing a little riding, then some more riding and next maybe ride a little more.  And think of me while you are out there on the road.  It has done nothing but rain here for the last 2 weeks.  I guess thats what I get for "razzing" the others who have to put their bikes up for the winter.  Sad

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 11/23/04 at 09:14:14

Big hoops.  BUT....  I maintained my record of never having a driver license road test.  Grin (Licensed since 1962.)

I've only missed a day or two riding since I got the bike.  Last night I went to check out a shop that Wendy spotted for a Christmas present -- 12 miles round trip.  Would have cost $3.60 in gasoline in the Camaro.  Gas cost on the Savage was $0.44.  Savings like that add up quick, and allows me run around more without too much guilt.

It is starting to get cold here -- dropping below 50 at night  Roll Eyes.  I think of all of my friends here while riding.

While our friends to the north may stop riding for a few months they *do* get the time to do project work such as changing out a rear fender with all the associated accessory moves.  The only way I could do that would be to get a second bike (which will have to wait until the VW is out of the garage and back on the road.)

Thanks everyone, it does feel good being legal.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 11/23/04 at 14:29:59

8)Congrats on your licence man ... you've earned it for sure! Wow, your vision "issues" seem remarkably similar to my own ... have more or less monocular vision due to botched surgery when I was 7 to correct left lazy eye ... when taking the vision test for my m/c endorsement, I had to "cheat" a little in order to pass the test!
'Grats again man and Ride Safe!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/27/04 at 02:56:24

Those eye tests are a hassle aren't they?  I must wear glasses to pass them anymore.

The biggest problem with the whole thing is that some people with perfect vision can't pass a mental test but get to drive anyway  8)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 11/27/04 at 09:24:18

In California, by law, you have to be able to read English to drive.  The tests are available in many languages and you can use a translator to speak to the testers.  I tried to look up the law that required me to see out of both eyes and could not.  The law requires that a person be denied a license if his/her vision is worse than 20/200 corrected in the best eye.

It was simply bureaucratic hassling with no basis in law -- from people who ignore the law to allow others to drive who cannot read road signs.

I will not ride a bike if I am a danger -- a bike provides very little crash protection.  I recomend against a bike for anyone who has not driven five years accident free.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael

Reply #11 - 11/28/04 at 03:53:09

[glow=red,2,300]Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Those eye tests are a hassle aren't they?  I must wear glasses to pass them anymore.

The biggest problem with the whole thing is that some people with perfect vision can't pass a mental test but get to drive anyway  8)
Couldn't have said it any better myself!! [/glow]

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 12/01/04 at 04:06:46

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
[glow=red,2,300]
Couldn't have said it any better myself!! [/glow]

All you have to do is sit at the license office for 15 minutes to see that truth in action.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:52:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Today I am Legal!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.